Statehood for D.C.?

That’s what I suggest – every representative has approximately the same number of people.

This makes the assumption that being a resident of the state (4 days a week for 6 months) guarantees that you will be biased towards the interests of the other residents of the state. In fact the opposite is usually true. There is great political advantage to bad mouthing DC and everything associated with it. Sure they might support some things infrastructure projects out of personal self interest (e.g. easy access from the Capitol to Dulles airport.) But as far as the interests of the residents and federal workers, screwing them over as hard and often as possible is good politics.

You might as well say that slaves were well represented in the antebellum south, because most of the political power in those days was held by wealthy men who lived on the same plantations as they did.

And if the majority don’t want to be Americans?

If it’s 51%, think about it some more.

But at 80%, I guess the answer is to ignore their wishes and rule by fiat like the imperialists of old.

They are more than welcome to invoke 8 USC 1481(a)(5)

“You’ll do what we want and be happy about it or get the hell off our land”?

Nice “democracy” you got there.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for someone in the USVI to feel that their interests are best represented by being able to elect a Virgin Islander to Congress, who knows about and can stick up for the interests of the Virgin Islands. Even if that representative doesn’t get to actually vote, that’s arguably better than being “represented” by someone from the other side of the world who has no idea what your people need or want.

And the situation of the tiny territories just isn’t comparable to that of DC and PR, which have enough people to constitute reasonably sized States on their own.