Stats on 99er dopers

I think I am still alive. Although I have to ask: Do you see dead people? If so, are we in The Good Place, or The Bad Place?

Is there 99er dueling? Is a tournament ladder posted somewhere?

I hate this. I’ve been here for a long time. Long before we registered. What’s a 99er? Sometimes I don’t pay attention. Pretty sure I was here in the 90s. But as an official old guy, once it’s past a year or so, it could just as easily been twenty years. Memory time-warp.

Threads like this always make me start singing “still crazy after all these years.”

Nah, I think of it as The Highlander. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Someone who’s join year on SMDB is 1999, the first year the database that runs the site goes back to. If you were on AOL before but didn’t join this board until 2004, you’re not a 99’er. At least that’s my interpretation, but I joined in 2000 so what do I know?

99er death pool!

Oh yeah. I know that one. I still like the tontine idea.

I’m still around, don’t visit here as much anymore though.

Registered the same exact day as me, as a matter of fact. And a day after Qadgop.

The old AOL days are a distant memory in my fuzzy, addle-pated, age-dessicated brain. :frowning:

But those WERE good days.

49ers got the gold, 99ers just got mold.

Hey, Morganstern, I’m a relic from the last century, too, but does anyone ever give us aughters any respect?

1. It’s very difficult to get banned for ‘‘one mis-step.’’ There is generally a steady progression from notes (which are not tracked), to warnings (which are tracked), to suspensions, to bannings. The more established a poster is here, the more leniency they tend to get. Banning of established posters in the vast majority of cases is considered a last resort. There will always be exceptions to everything so I’m speaking very broadly, but there’s no need for people to be quaking in their boots about the inevitability of the banhammer.

2. TPTB do consider appeals from banned posters for another chance. It’s not up to moderators, but it’s possible to be banned and return later to the board in the case of a successful appeal. The odds of reinstatement are not high, but it has happened at least a handful of times.

You’ve got seniority on me by one! shakes fist at Jonathan Chance

I may not be in front, but I’m ahead of youse guyz . . .

Still alive, by some definitions of the word.

Did any deceased Dopers post official “goodbye” messages?

As another point against the “inevitability of eventual banning”, most posters just lose interest and wander off long before they get banned. Open up any old thread with a lot of replies, and yes, you’ll see a few banned among them… but you’ll see a lot more that just haven’t been around lately.

Yeah, those few 99ers who are still around are pretty strongly selected against those who’d be inclined to ever wander off, but even they will still eventually stop posting, even without being banned. Eventually, they’re going to die, if nothing else, and eventually, this board itself is going to shut down (perhaps when Ed dies). If it weren’t for the impossibility of deciding the question, I’d wager that, by that time, the majority of the currently-active 99ers would still not be banned.

There are posters who’ve been around as long or longer than I, who (like me) have never even received a warning, and are FAR more obnoxious than I am.

My apologies. There was supposed to be a smiley in there somewhere.

:smack::):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:dubious::frowning: