Steam Summer Sale 2012 - Deals and News here

Don’t buy any non-daily sale games until the last day. You will kick yourself whenits even cheaper.

It’s kind of a cross between Minecraft and a classic side-scrolling jumping game. You go around exploring, mining for metals and finding hidden caves full of treasures, gradually being able to explore into more dangerous areas as you craft better and better equipment.

I found the end-game to get kind of dull, but there’s a lot of there there before that (including special events, big boss monsters, NPCs that you can recruit to live in your home if you build it right, and a number of other things). It is pretty hard to figure out at first - I don’t think I’d play it without checking the wiki.

If you are at all interested in Legend of Grimrock from looking at screenshots or videos, get it. It’s the best new game I’ve played this year.

Just in time for me to come in and say I just bought it. So this helps me feel better about my decision.

I’ve wanted a game like this for a really long time. I’ve had a nostalgic longing for something in the mold of Moraff’s Dungeon of the Unforgiven. Hopefully this is at least close.

The flash sale thing is new - I guess you’ll need to check back on the sales more than once a day. Also, voting for the next sale is a cool idea.

I agree with this assessment. It’s rarely exciting, but it is usually relaxing. Sometimes that what I’m looking for in a game. Steam says that I’ve gotten 150 hours out of it, so I’d say that it’s a steal at $2.49.

I’ve got one world where my goal has been to contain the corruption as much as possible upon activating hard mode. After a few hours of groundwork, I killed the Wall of Flesh and immediately set out to find the new corruption and frantically tunnel/blast a pair of cutlines to keep it from infecting the rest of the world. Good times.

Btw to those of you who don’t know, you can click that little $0.00 in the top right of your window and add money to your steam wallet in one go. Sometimes credit card companies will see little $5 purchases every day and lock them out as suspicious. Which is stupid, because they’re supposed to have these intelligent models monitoring their credit card users, and millions of people make lots of small purchases on steam at the same time and it should be obvious that it’s not fraudulent, but I hear stories about how people’s credit cards get locked.

Anyway, to prevent all that, load $25 or $50 or whatever at a time into your steam wallet so there’s just that one credit card transfer and you don’t have to worry about it.

No one has mentioned that the day 1 indie bundle is Anamoly: Warzone Earth, Cave Story+, Edge, Lone Survivor, The Baconing. I pretty much recommend all these indie packs (unless you already own a few) because if you even like one game out of the 5 it’ll have been worth it.

Okay, I decided to get Fall of the Samurai (which I’ve had my eye on for a while) and Legend of Grimrock. I’d recommend Total War: Shogun 2 for those who like strategy games.

Does anyone know anything about Crusader Kings II? I can’t tell whether it would be right up my alley or really frustrating. It it turn-based or real-time? Is the DLC important?

It’s real time by Paradox; so incredibly complex. I have it and it didn’t grab me. It isn’t bad, just not for me.

Hm. In my book, being real-time is a major strike against a strategy game. I guess I’ll pass.

That sounds like you don’t actually know what “real-time” means in this context.

Like all the other Paradox strategy games, it’s real-time but not in the same sense that, say, Starcraft is. Control over the time scale is an innate function of the game, and it’s expected that quite a lot of the game will be done with time stopped or greatly accelerated.

It’s essentially no more “real time” than Civilization is, it just forgoes the discrete granularity of turns, meaning there’s actually a difference between if it takes hours or days to march to the adjacent province. Consider it turn-based where a turn length is a minute or so :wink: There’s not really much reason to make turn-based strategy games anymore, with how much horsepower computers have to spare. You can simulate things the right way and not have to come up with convoluted rules to work out the kinks of arbitrary time divisions.

Hmm Legend of Grimrock, I’ve had my eye on that since they said it was like Dungeon Master. I do have a bad memory though. Was Dungeon Master the one where you picked a party out of pictures on a wall at the beginning, Then you went through slowly gaining skill levels like Apprentice, Journeyman, master etc?
If Dungeon Master is that one then I have to get Grimrock, cause i loved it. If it isn’t DM does anyone know what game I am talking about?

That is exactly what I meant, and I very much dislike it.

That sounds like DM, yes.

Saint’s Row the Third won the voting for the discount.

FYI, the Amazon DD rep posted elsewhere saying they won’t be price matching SRTT because they’re putting it even cheaper next week.

And it’s Steamworks, so you can just punch the code into Steam and have it there anyway.

Lame, SR3 is on sale but the DLC didn’t go to 75% off like the game did. I’m not sure if that’s intentional or an oversight.

I find it really amusing that even with the huge sales, Arma II with mere -20% discount is still at the top of Top Sellers list because of DayZ mod.

Amazon actually had a better deal last week for Crusader Kings II, DLC and a whole bunch of other Paradox stuff. CKII is still worth getting on Steam for $10. Most of the DLC is cosmetic, with no changes to gameplay, but if you want to play as a Muslim ruler you’ll need Sword of Islam. If you’re not sure CKII is for you, there’s a good tutorial series on YouTube as well as a very compelling Let’s Play series by the same author. It’s certainly the most accessible of the Paradox-style strategy games.

I’m going to have to jump on Sword of Islam at that price. I haven’t actually gotten around to playing CK2 yet, but I know I’ll want it when the time comes.