Had a fun encounter this weekend with an insect I’ve only seen in my life a couple of times before - not because they are rare, but because they are so hard to see.
My 20 month old son Carl actually spotted the stick insect first - I knew he’d found something, because he was giggling. The notion of a stick that “came alive” fascinated him, so I caught the insect for his amusement:
Here’s a closeup:
And here it is in its natural habitat:
An amazing creature. Any budding entomologists wanna tell me what species this is? It was found just north of lake Simcoe in southern Ontario …
[QUOTE=Boggette]
We have them all over the place at our house. They can be found in the trees, on the house, wherever. I think they’re one of the coolest bugs around.
We’ve always refered to them as “walking sticks” and here’s a link that refers to them as Phasmatodea… Phasmatodea - Wikipedia
Hope this helps!
[/QUOTE]
Thanks!
I’ve heard them called “walking sticks” too, though here I think the popular name “stick insect” is slightly more common.
They aren’t as common as all that up here (or at least, I’ve only rarely seen them …)
I haven’t seen a walking stick in years and years. I saw them regularly in my youth. (of course, I no longer go out and play in the woods like I used to.)
[QUOTE=Khadaji]
I haven’t seen a walking stick in years and years. I saw them regularly in my youth. (of course, I no longer go out and play in the woods like I used to.)
Pretty cool.
[/QUOTE]
I wonder if younger eyes are just better at spotting 'em. My 20 month old found this one, I’ve not seen one in years - since I was a kid.
[QUOTE=Khadaji]
I haven’t seen a walking stick in years and years. I saw them regularly in my youth. (of course, I no longer go out and play in the woods like I used to.)
Pretty cool.
[/QUOTE]
That was my first thought, verbatim, when reading the OP.
I’m reminded of a snarky thing Mrs. Fawlty said to Basil once on Fawlty Towers. She called him “sort of an aging brilliantine stick insect.” I’ve never seen John Cleese since without thinking of this fitting description.