Strange error message and browser behavior

Several times in the past few days, I have gotten this error message when I opened a thread to read it:

Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site Why are we here? - Great Debates - Straight Dope Message Board. Operation aborted.

OK

(made up thread number) When I click the OK button, IE then goes to a generic page “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”.

If I try to connect to SDMB again during that session, IE just hangs. But if I close and re-open IE, I can connect back to SDMB right away, and even the same thread without a problem.

I believe, from trying to watch when this happens, that it has to do with the mouse rollover popup. Apparently, if I roll off the popup long enough for it to disappear just before I click on the thread, this event sometimes happens. If I click on the thread without looking at the rollover popup, or if I click on the thread while the rollover popup is still there, I don’t seem to have this problem.

I don’t think I have changed my behavior, and I haven’t had this problem before. I have IE version 8, and this is at work. I don’t think I’ve had this problem at home, where I run Firefox.

Has anyone else gotten this message? Is this a board problem, or is it just me?
Roddy

Just now it happened to me as I posted to a thread, right after the thread came back on my screen.

This is getting annoying.
Roddy

Try clearing your cache and deleting your cookies – I’ve seen posters have weird behavior when one of those things gets corrupted. Also, if you’re not using an adblocker, you might want to start.