Strangest bit of vinyl in your record collection

Not strange like the other oddball records listed, but odd anyway: I have a bootleg Pink Floyd record from 1974, “Raving and Drooling”. The strange thing is on one of the sides instead of a live recording of Shine On You Crazy Diamond there’s a Joni Mitchell set. It’s some kind of misprinting as the label gives no indication that Joni Mitchell should be on the record. Weird.

Hey, Frank #2, that’s how they pressed up the record! From the listing in The Last Wacks (Hot Wacks Book XV), comes this information:

RAVING AND DROOLING
Beacon Island Records 25722
Sides 1 & 2: Rerelease of “Ohm Suite Ohm” (TAKRL 1933) - which is a rerelease of “Fillmore West” (CBM 3903), sourced from a 1971 NET-TV special.
Side 3: Rerelease of Side 1 of “Raving And Drooling” (TAKRL 1973), which is a rerelease of “British Winter Tour '74” (PFL 7501), recorded at Trentham Gardens, Stoke, Nov 19, 1974
Side 4: Rerelease of Joni Mitchell - “For Free”, originally Midnite Records (no #), sourced from a 1969 NET-TV special.

This is the more rare of the two bootlegs called “Raving And Drooling.” Hang on to it!

A very scratched up “Rods N’ Ratfinks” by Mr. Gasser & the Weirdos. You have to be an old man like me to know who Ed “Big Daddy” Roth was, but he created custom hot rods and amazing cartoons (including the “Rat Fink”), and to my thirteen year-old mind was the coolest man who ever lived! When I got this album (my very first LP! - before that all I has were 45s) for Christmans, it was the best present ever!

Finks of Today, Derf’s tribute to Big Daddy.

Jim Nabors Sings Love Me With Your Heart

My brother collects records (he currently has over 4,000), so whenever my husband and I go to garage sales, we pick up any oddballs we can find. We bought Jim Nabors for a dime. This weekend, we picked up Guy Lombardo for a dime, too.

We were going to get the Sugarhill Gang’s “Rappers Delight” 12-inch single, but it had animal feces on it. :eek: My brother already has it anyway.

How very cool! :cool:

Hamsters ate my post (or maybe, as Opus discovered on Sunday, maybe it was Dick Cheney.) I gotta go now, but I’ll repost it later.

Heh…I have that, too. :slight_smile:

1. Strange in a cool way, I found a 45 of Mule Skinner Blues by the Fendermen at the thrift store for a quarter. It features a wacked-out “hee-hee-hee-hee-hee” chorus. I’d never heard of the Fendermen before, but man, that was an awesome version of the song.

2. There was another 45 is the same stack, by a sixties country-rock band whose name escapes me, entitled Who Stole my Underwear? The chorus goes: “Whooooooooooooooo stole my underwear?.. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit was my only pair.” Classic.

3. My wife went through a phase collecting disaster-song 78s. Train wrecks, ships sinking, mine fires, ou name it. I suppose that counts as strange, especially by today’s standards.

Dunno if this weird or cool, but I have the 12" single of a song called Cha Cha Heels by Eartha Kit (yep…Catwoman!) and Bronski Beat. Her voice is very unusual, if anyone recalls from the old Zap! Biff! Pow! days :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a fast dance clubish kind of song…complete with growls from Eartha and cat meows in the background.

I have that on CD.

It was written for Divine, based on her character from Female Trouble.

Divine died before she could record it, but Eartha did a damn fine job.

I remember when I was a kid we had a Christmas album that was red see-through vinyl. I can’t remember who the album was by, I just remember looking through the vinyl and the whole world turned red. :cool:

Weird and prized: A Red Chinese 33 rpm 10-incher Songs of the Motherland, including my favorite song title of all time, “The Daring Women Electricians.” Scary, sub-operatic worker bee music. I hope one day to meet a daring woman electrician and play it for her.

Somewhere in storage I have a Yiddish instruction LP. Its kept mainly for the fact that in the section “At the Dentist,” one of the useful phrases is “Cocaine makes it painless.” I guess they were working from an old text.

Not to forget The Irving Fields Trio, Bagels and Bongos. Featuring the classic “Havana Negilah.” You can’t make this stuff up.

I now have a record that easily trumps my op:

Richard Harris - A Tramp Shining

Yes… it does feature MacArthur Park.

:eek:

The wonderfully uncomfortable Hey Bing/Hey Jude – an entire album of Bing Crosby singing 60’s pop songs, including (as the title suggests) “Hey Jude”.

If you can find a copy anywhere I would recommend picking up this album and experiencing it while you still can – there is probably a pretty good chance that sometime in the future they will travel back in time and prevent him from recording this.

I’m not if it’s the song title as I haven’t actually looked at it in years, but the chorus goes “Making other people happy makes you happy too” and it’s Col. Sanders with some unidentified backing group.

Stick a “sure” in there somewhere if you’d be so good.

I remember that I also have a single called “The No. 7 Theme”, by Orchestra and Chorus under the direction of Mitchell Ayres (worked with Perry Como in the '50s). They gave them away at the 1964 Canadian National Exhibition as a promotional gimmick for No. 7 brand cigarettes. It came in a red cardboard sleeve, same picture on both sides, of some cigarette smoke wafting in the air. The music is inoffensive, nondescript, with the melody whistled by an expert whistler, except for the last verse, sung in “doo doo doo” by a basso. The only other feature of this composition that sets it apart from any other, is the break where everyone sings, in harmony, “Who cares?”

This was supposed to sell a product?!!

My parents have that! Well, I’m guessing it’s my mom’s, no doubt purchased because she fell in love with Camelot as a teenager.

They also have one that consists of songs played on a steam calliope. I have no idea why they would own this…

Credit my wife with this one (in mint condition, yet!) The LP is entitled Sippin’ ‘n Chippin’ by that killer instrumental group The T-Bones.

It must be explained that back in 1966, there was an Alka-Seltzer commerial so popular that the instrumental soundtrack was expanded to make a hit record called “No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach’s In)” The commercial featured just stomachs, of all varying shapes and sizes, thus the title. The instrumental track was light and bouncy in a pop vein, and caught on.

I can’t recall if the T-Bones were the actual performers on the commercial, but they’re the ones who grabbed onto the song and cracked the Billboard Hot 100 with it.

The group apparently worked the Hot Car subgenre of rock prior to their breakthrough hit. Allmusic lists four albums, “Boss Drag at the Beach” and “Boss Drag” (both 1964), the “No Matter What Shape” album in 1966 and this Sippin’ ‘n Chippin’ also in 1966.

This strange masterpiece features, as the back of the album jacket says “their interpretations of top hits.” If you can imagine it, the album covers such real music as “Walkin’ My Cat Named Dog” and “Satisfaction.” Of course it also has the “Cinnamint Shuffle (Mexican Shuffle)” and a version of “Spanish Flea” not to mention the title cut.

Here’s an indication - there is a photo of the band on the back with five guys. Nowhere are they identified by name, though right underneath the phot, it lits, the producer, arranger, art director, cover photographer and cover model by name. Not the hottest of promotions by Liberty Records.

Oh, and did I mention it’s the mono version? (LRP-3446). The album back notes that it’s also available in stereo (LST-7446).

One of these days I’ll have to get looped and listen to it.