Strangest bit of vinyl in your record collection

Vinyl? What is this vinyl of which you speak? :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, well personally I have never owned a record, but available light has some from before we were married, so I dug through to see what I could find. Lesse here…

“I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)”, a single with Aretha Franklin and George Michael in a duet. Don’t ask me what it sounds like, the record player is buried in the closet.

an El De Barge album. Not weird so much as, Oh my god I can’t believe that was popular when I was a kid.

My wife is a psychotherapist, and we have “Songs of Couch and Consultation” in our collection. Here’s a photo of the cover:

http://www.showandtellmusic.com/pages/galleries/gallery_j/analysis2.html

I have forgotten what is actually on this record.

It was a gift from a band we did the sound for at a gig/party in Chiselhurst Caves. For a group of Satanists*****.

It is a normal 45 single with the label depicting Noddy being crucified on a pentagram. I don’t think they were aiming at the charts.

I’ll dig it out when I get home, but I guess the music is probably forgettable if all I recall is the label.

*****Well, that’s what we figured afterwards. They were certainly an odd bunch of people. Some very strange music was played. I think the date might have been significant but I’m not up on the Satanic calendar.

Favorite childhood album: “Maria Sings!” featuring Sesame Street’s Maria

Favorite teen embarrassment: “Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry”. The cover of Dee Snider holding the leg of meat is a classic.

Ear of Beholder by Lol Coxhill. A double-sided album, mostly made up of avant garde jazz saxophone blats, but with several standout wierd cuts:

“A Series of Superbly Played Mellotron Codas” – just what it says.
“That’s Why Darkies are Born” – Delightfully racist tune
“Two Little Pigeons” – Silly thing from the 30s
And the masterpiece:
“I Am the Walrus” – sung/chanted by three children and the weirdest thing ever to put put on vinyl.

I have the 45 of We’re Not Gonna Take It because of the picture sleeve with a snarling Dee Snyder. It’s too amusing.

The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits

On LP: “The Music of the 1976 Montreal Olympics”

Ed

I have a record made by CBS News, that is the audio broadcast of man’s moon landing in 1969.

The jacket is a moonscape photograph, front and back. Pretty nifty. One of these days I’ll burn it over to MP3 with Final Vinyl and listen to it…

A novelty 45 by “Mad Man Michaels”, a 50s Milwaukee radio personality. Dr. Demento has played it a couple of times. One side is the tale of “The Czarnina Kid”, a Polish parody of Dragnet (czarnina is the famous duck’s blood soup, but the title character is the only reference to it in the sketch). The other side is “Michael’s Market”, a song about a Polish market.

Hail to the Teeth, billed on the cover as The Jimmy Carter Comedy Album. It was purchased for me as a Christmas 1977 present when I was eighteen years old. I haven’t read through the thread yet, but I’ll be really surprised if anyone else has posted this selection.

Okay… I’ve gone a little bonkers, though it hasn’t cost me much…

I went to a resale shop I knew had vinyl.

I found and took home:

A 78 of Johnny Mercer and his Orchestra performing Sam’s Got Him and Duration Blues.

11 45s:

Petula Clark - This Is My Song
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden
Melissa Manchester - Don’t Cry Outloud :eek:
Laura Branigan - Gloria :frowning:
Paula Abdul - Straight Up
Men at Work - Down Under
Pebbles - Girlfriend (Picture Sleeve)
George Michael - Faith (Picture Sleeve)
Taylor Dayne - Tell it To My Heart (Picture Sleeve)
Jody Watley - Don’t You Want Me? (Picture Sleeve)
Pretty Poison - Catch Me I’m Falling (Picture Sleeve)

1 LP:

Linda Rpnstadt - For Sentimental Reasons

So, why have I been buying all the vinyl? I bought a new stereo that has a turntable that plays 33 1/3, 45, and 78s. I love the warmth and the crackle of listening to music on vinyl.

I love my strange and eclectic music collection. The earliest album I have in my collection is probably the 78 I mentioned in the OP from Rosemary Clooney. I have all of Tom Lehrer’s records and they’re all first pressings.

Oh… question for anyone who knows… what is the nature of Edison cylinders as collectibles? Are they all valuable? The place where I got the aforementioned vinyl from probably has 20 cylinders at $12.00 a piece. I was wondering if they have a gold mine there that I should capitolize on.

I’ll see your A Tramp Shining and raise you Pat Boone, his first album with versions of “Ain’t That a Shame” (which Pat wanted to change to “Isn’t That a Shame” :smack: ) and Little Richard’s “Tutti Frutti.”

And sure, you may have Soupy Sales singing “Do The Mouse” but do you own Spy With a Pie?

But the very first thing I thought of when looking at this tread was my copy of The Amazing Mets in which the 1969 World Series champs perform deathless renditions of “Heart” from Damn Yankees, “God Bless America,” and “We’re Gonna Win the Series” to the tune of Lieber and Stoller’s “Kansas City.”

1. Some stupid “record” off the back of a box of Super Sugar Crisp (it was part of the box and I had to cut it out) with someone playing instruments.

2. Nick Lowe, “Cruel to be kind” 45. Not so much strange as sad.

3. Matthew Wilder, “Break my stride” 45.

4. Dr. Demento LP featuring:

"Boot to the Head"

"Big Butt"--- [Bobby Jimmy and the critters.](http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=A&obid=76017) "I went to a game to see the L.A. Raiders. I couldn't get out of those little elevators.  I tried to get out. I was doing my part. Then all of a sudden I think I had to.....go eat a hotdog."

"Pencil Neck Geek"

"Rappin' Duke" ---- "Duh huh, duh huh. Duh huh huh huh huh huh.  Aretha Franklin, Aritha Franklin."

"Cuz I'm a Blonde" ----Because I'm a blonde, I don't have to think.

I talk like a baby, and I never pay for drinks."

"If You Wanna Be Happy" ---jimmy soul

That would be Sugar, Sugar by the Archies. I had that one, too.

Ahhhh. Ok. Thank You. I still have it, but I don’t dare play it on any turner with appreciable value.

And she can’t spell BMW but she has a Porsche.

Julie Brown - the red haired one from Just Say Julie who had another hit with The Homecoming Queen’s Got A Gun.

Boot to the Head is by the Frantics. I hve both of their albums and a large mp3 collection of their weekly radio show I found on the original and lamented Napster.

Julie Brown – author of a line I still use way too regularly (from “Will I Make It Through the Eighties?”) – Nothing in the fridge – nothing on TV – Sylvia Plath has nothing on me.

I’ve got that EP also. It also has – “I Like 'Em Big and Stupid.” Funny stuff.

“Will I Make It Through the Eighties?” is also the B Side to the 45 of “I Like 'Em Big And Stupid”

Lenny Bruce- The Berkley Concert
A Musical Trip with George Burns
Stan Freberg The United States of America
Abbie Hoffman and the Joint Chiefs of Staff- Wake Up, America
Timothy Leary- You Can Be Anyone This Time Around
KLAATU, and
The Masked Marauders were widely rumored to be The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Nah. 'Tain’t true.
Biff Rose, a folkie/humorist who said, “Nuclear thinking and unclear thinking are the same. The difference is in how you use the UN.”

Did you ever hear The Rotary Connection’s Christmas Album? Santa’s Smokin’ Mistletoe, and a Silent Night that’s actually…silent.