Streetcar or RR passenger car?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154627123551326&set=gm.1944595592455988&type=3

Doesn’t look like a streetcar to me.

Link not working. I suspect the privacy setting for the picture needs to be changed to “public.”

Try this one.

“Please update your account to enable third party hosting.”

Facebook or Photobucket?

Photobucket but it doesn’t show up on Facebook either.

Facebook says: ‘Sorry, this content isn’t available right now.’

I can’t see either one.

If it’s on your facebook account, just change the privacy setting of the photo to “public.”

I can’t see the images either, but if it’s North American rail passenger equipment from a century or so ago, and you’re not sure if railroad (“steam railroad”) or streetcar, then probably Interurbanrolling stock.

Thank Og for Flickr–free, with a space allowance of a terabyte, and it simply works. IMO it could use a couple more options related to privacy and how you share your content with others, but mostly it’s the best picture sharing site out there. IMO, of course.

Does the car look like this?

Pacific Electric “Blimp” car

This is from L.A.'s old Red Car system, which used this type of car on the longer routes between central L.A. and the outlying regions, particularly those routes at least mostly with their own rights of way. Inside, it was rather like a cross between an intercity passenger car and a streetcar with more comfortable seating than you’d find in a local mass transit car or bus.

I used to use Photobucket a lot, but it’s become nearly unusable due to intrusive ads (which I’m sure that they do to annoy users enough to sign up for a paid plan). And, recently, they’ve started disabling the ability to use pictures uploaded to your Photobucket account on other third-party sites.

So, I’m done with Photobucket. Imgur for me, now.

Tangential question:

When I was little (mid-late '60s) I had a grandmother in Anaheim, CA. I remember there was a street with railroad tracks running down the middle of it, and the tracks were used for actual locomotives (not streetcars). Does anyone know where that was?

The rail line runs on Santa Ana Street and Olive Street near downtown Anaheim.
Here’s a streetview image:

Thanks. I remember the curve, but I couldn’t remember if it was the street that curved, or the tracks. I see it’s the tracks. I remember it looking more industrial in the late-'60s/early-'70s.

And… actually ‘driving’ on the map, I see there are some warehouse-y structures.

My grandmother lived on N. Olive, across Lincoln.

I could view it. Railroad passenger car is my non-railroad savvy guess. It’s hooked to an engine though that might be just for shuttling into the car garage. Rather than a street car with windows for every seat [ala blimp car], it has double windows spaced as if for compartments. It also has bellows for hooking up to another car for inter-car passage.

The image hosted on a site that isn’t complete garbage.

It doesn’t look like a streetcar to me, either. It’s also being pulled out of the shed with a standard steam locomotive.

What makes you think it’s a streetcar? (EDIT: keep in mind I can’t see the Facebook page at all, so you’ll need to copy and paste whatever the original image caption was.)

The photo on that site is one of the P&W bullet cars. I rode them for a year in 1989-90. Although they didn’t go over about 60MPH in those days (I know because I often sat in the rear driver’s seat–they were reversible–and looked at the speedometer), but at their top speed they apparently could go up to 100. Inside, they felt more like trolleys than trains, but were really something in between. They went on their own right-of-way of course and if they level crossings, I don’t recall them, at least not as far as Bryn Mawr. They were finally being taken out of service in 1990, replaced by train cars from the Market St. El (retrucked because the El was a non-standard gauge, just over 5’).

Probably not a streetcar or interurban car, not just because it’s being pulled by a steam locomotive but because the car barn has virtually no clearance for the cars to have a trolley or pantograph. As noted, it looks like a passenger car, and particularly a sleeper or parlor car (what we’d call a lounge car nowadays) rather than a coach.

The curiosity is that it is marked AGRICULTURE above the windows where it would have the railroad name (or Pullman for a sleeper). Probably an older sleeper or parlor car bought second-hand for either the Federal Dep’t of Agriculture or a state Agriculture dep’t.

Could it be the Nebraska Agriculture Department’s Waltonian fish car? http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2013/03/fish-car/ (not pictured there but mentioned). It does have the look of a work car, especially since it doesn’t have an open platform on the end, and the windows are kind of minimal. The trucks are pretty massive even for an interurban, so it’s definitely a steam railroad car.

A quick search for photos finds them. They have the chines ( Intermediate angles away from the peak OR wall) on the roof, forming a flat surface at an angle to the outside view… Looks like racing stripe paint in some photos, but its an angled surface…

Given the OP’s railway car does have the label “Agriculture” at the right hand side high up, AND “Walt” something “nian” on the side lower down
It is definitely is a Nebraska fish car.
The OP’s question also implied, must it be for heavy railway ? Yep, its streamlined and extremely solidly built, the wheel truck structure is huge, and its got the sealed interconnection between carraiges,
its for long distance.

Well, going by BlakeyRat’s link, the car in question would not be considered streamlined, but instead would be a heavyweight passenger car (with a clerestory roof, vestibules, and 3-axle trucks because…its a heavyweight). Of course. before the general introduction of lighter streamlined passenger stock in North America during the 1930s, it would have been considered…just a passenger car (no “heavyweight” qualifier). The sealed interconnections (pleated tubes surrounding the car’s end doors) you refer to are normally called ‘diaphragms’ in NA railroad, and I thought they were called the same in the UK, but apparently they are called ‘gangway connection’ or ‘corridor connections’…so sealed interconnection is close enough.