Stringbean is an odious, racist, sexist, intellectually dishonest crank

Folks, that “dog whistle” meme went out with disco balls. Now it just looks like a kid repeating a bad word he heard in the playground to see if some reactions might come from it.

That’s not what a meme is. Meme doesn’t mean a word you don’t like. And the use of “dogwhistle” to refer to this sort of thing is probably dated to 1988, well after disco balls, and is still in wide usage. You’re wrong as hell.

In this case it looks like Stringbean is coining a bad phrase – “demographic warfare” – and framing a narrative around it, hoping it will get traction and enter this cycle’s lexicon of discourse, the way “class warfare” as a label for discussion of raising taxes on the rich did several years ago.

See Frank Luntz.

Pink Floyd still used disco balls in 1998, so you’re wrong about that.

And the meme implies a subhuman recipient, one that can hear things humans are too evolved to hear.

I can certainly see your point. All Hillary is doing is covering the field with smiles and welcoming gestures.

You forgot this misogynistic (sorry, redundant) gem from the same thread (bolding mine):

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Seriously, though: is Stringbean the most angry and bitter personality to have been on this board since, I don’t know, Aldebaran maybe?

I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to go on a road trip with this guy, except that I’d probably be attempting suicide before we reached the next town.

Looking at Stringbean’s further responses to that thread, I think it’s probably worth pointing out that it’s entirely reasonable to both consider Hilary to be a cold-hearted career politician out to say and do what is best for her chances in the election and not out of some inherent honesty or straightforwardness… and also think that going straight to “demographic warfare” and “ignore the white male vote” is ridiculous.

If anything the combination of the two is weird to me. If I was an American politician running for the White House and I had even zero scruples about what I would say to who, if I am a consummate politician and barely human, why on earth would I be ignoring one of the two biggest demographics of the voting public?

The only reason you would is if you think that you can’t appeal to both white males and anyone else.

Which Stringbean seems to believe.

That’s still not what “meme” means. Also, evolution doesn’t work that way.

“The white male vote” is against the Democratic nominee for president, consistently. If a Democratic nominee breaks 40% they are doing amazing. HRC will likely perform like Obama is 2012 - poorly but winning by not doing as poorly with white women and kicking ass with every other demographic.

Maybe a bit better than Obama. Especially in states that are have a lot of white males in unions.

Point being the idea that she is plying demographics is defensible; the calling that “warfare” and “ruthless” is stupid.

He is a 911 Truther…

Well, that’s special.

Am I the only person who can’t remember the difference between Stringbean and Green Bean until I read their posts? Unfortunate username overlap.

The warfare strategy is thus: make the campaign about the demographic groups and not about the candidate. Illustrated perfectly by this video. A venerable smorgasbord of demographic fairy tales, with the actual presidential candidate something of a side-piece. The first indication that this calculated endeavor has anything to do with Hillary Clinton isn’t until the 1:30 mark–two-thirds of the way in. Expect little interest from the left in Hillary herself; she is polarizing. Her campaign will seek to attack Republicans and unite minorities into the multicultural utopia promised by Obama. If she is short on actual policy, that’s a plus. The easiest way to unite all non-white males is not to offer specifics. Just point to the bad guys and continue to sell the fairy tale.

What the hell are “demographic fairy tales”? What “demographic fairy tales” are in the video? What the fuck are you talking about?

Welcome to American politics. I’m not seeing anything in that ad description that wouldn’t apply to at least 90% of the political ads I’ve seen in my life. The fact of the matter is, the best (ie, most effective) ads are the ones that pique your emotions, not your intellect. Blame it on God for making us that way.

Wayne LaPierre said that we’ve already had a ‘demographically-symbolic’ President and we don’t need another one.

Which bad guys were pointed out in the video?

Is it just me, or does it seem like we have more racists on the Dope these days?