Student sues over grade; wants A+, not A.

Can you clarify this ? How can anyone get “107%” in a test ?

From all the stories I’m reading, the next generation will be a bunch of gutless chickenshits who’ll sue you if you look at them the wrong way.

I wonder if my grandchildren will one day sue me because they only got a $25 check for their birthday.

What a spoiled self-absorbed little fuck, give me a break. It was a bogus mommy-“course” in the first place. Let him waste his family’s money on a lawsuit. I hope it poisons his chances at any ivy league school.

How in the heck can one score better than 100%? You either get them all right, or you don’t.

An example of grade inflation, which, thankfully, many universities don’t buy into. You get an A, it’s a 4.00 (and straight Bs should not yield a 4.00, in my opinion, regardless how allegedly difficult the course is). Plusses and minuses do adjust the GPA slightly, but an A+ is typically counted as an A. At least, that’s how it worked at UC Berkeley when I applied.

The funny thing is that there is a student stupid enough to sue over a grade so they can have a better chance of getting into college who thinks a college will accept a student who sues over a grade.

Oh yeah, I forget that just because I was 17 when I grainulated HS, most people are older.

It would probably be more accurate to say 107 points–for example, getting 100/100 on a test, and then also getting a “bonus” question that’s worth 7 extra credit points.

To those asking about how to get more than a 100 on a test, many teachers include extra credit questions on tests.

Yes, but that’s a no-brainer, because all he has to do is sue the college for refusing to admit him because he once sued to get a better grade.

AP courses are granted this kind of credit based on the belief that it is fair to give these classes more rank when calculating GPA. Otherwise, they aren’t any different on paper than “regular” classes.

Grade inflation would be giving students As in these classes based on performance that’s no different than what the best students in the “regular” classes do.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the little fuck. “Boo-hoo, Mommy, I didn’t get an A+! My life is ruined! I’ll never amount to anything! I’ll never get a good job! Whine! Whine! Whine!”

There was a girl I went to high school with. Bitch cheated in just about every class she took. The school showed a distinct lack of spine when they didn’t stand up to her whiney parents. Bitch graduated a semester early and her whiney parents made the spineless administration hold her GPA so that she could be salutatorian at the end of the year graduation. This story does have a somewhat happy ending: she ended up insulting the memory of a recently deceased classmate in her speech. Only the fact that there were over 1000 witnesses kept the boy’s grieving friends from tearing her apart right then.

A policy I dislike. Never made sense to me…it’s another question on the test. You either get it right or wrong. However, that’s not the point here.

Maybe I should have been a judge. Not that I would last very long when I began to opine on people like this tying up courts. Every disappointment in life is not litigable [sub]is that even a word?[/sub]. What next? He sues the DMV when they take a bad picture of him? The girl next door when she doesn’t go out with him?

At my highschool, the highest grade you can get is an A. I’ve had averages up to about 109% before, and still only gotten an A, not an A+.

Well, it’s been awhile for me, but I seem to remember that the UC system and the CAL State system both buy into the “grade inflation.”
What really chapped my ass is that the high school did not. So someone with a bunch of easy classes pulled a 4.0 and “weighted” I had something like a 4.5, but they were valedictorian and I was not.
Life is really gonna bite this kid on the ass. (The one in the article)

Well, it’s usually a significantly harder question than the rest of the test, one that the average student wouldn’t be expected to be able to answer. The idea is to give the really exceptional students some recognition without penalizing the average students.

No, that’s what she got in the class, not on the standardized tests. I don’t know if it’s exactly 107%, but I do know it’s over 100%. The course is way too easy for her, and, since she’s a hard worker and a good student, she does the extra credit that’s meant to help the kids who’re having trouble in the class do better. On the standardized tests, she scored just slightly above average–not good enough for honors classes according to our school district. The poor girl freezes when she’s confronted with a bunch of bubbles and a number 2 pencil.

Aaah, I saw this earlier in the day. If my damned server at work didn’t crash, I’d get the credit for posting this first, therby getting my “A+”.
Fuck that kid. I harbor a strong resentment against rich-snotty types, mainly because I had to deal with them in high school in New Jersey. These asswipes would do anything they could to stay on top, stabbing each other in the back, and in some cases bribing others to do certain work for 'em.

Fuck 'em. I know what I’m about to say doesn’t apply to all of 'em, but none of these little whiny bitches I knew ever held a real fucking job. None of 'em ever flipped burgers. None of 'em ever washed a car for money. None of 'em ever so muched as shined a goddamned pair of shoes. As far as I’m concerned, these snotnosed little 90210 asswipes are as far removed from mainstream America as can be, and should be dealt with accordingly: as snotnosed little asswipes.

Rant over. Resume your normal lives.

Tripler
I meet these people, and ask them, “So, did you ever hold a real job, or just have Mommy and Daddy do everything for you?”

Of COURSE it’s a word. And if you were any kind of a judge, you’d know that.

:rolleyes:

:smiley:

You really do? You should charge admission to watch that. I’d pay.

You win the prize for comment that makes me laugh tonight!
This boy needs a swift kick in the balls.