Whiny Bitch Sues for and Wins Valedictorian Title

Someone needs to hit this girl with a rock.

Doesn’t seem so bad at first, but they leave out that by “tutors” they mean “her mom,” who graded all of her AP work - and gave her A+'s across the board. Shocker.

And she allegedly has “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,” which is why she couldn’t do gym class - although she’s had no trouble doing the countless hours of community service that helped her get into Harvard.

Okay so maybe it’s all legit and her mom was fair and impartial, and she really was incapable of taking PE, what soulless bitch would make the school system pay out and rob the rest of the students of millions in funding?

The cite doesn’t explain the grounds for the decision. Was it the ADA?

So, by putting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in quotes, are you questioning her diagnosis, or the illness itself?

One does not have to stand or do heavy lifting or other types of exertion to do community service. There is reading to the elderly and a host of other things that one can do to provide service.

The valedictorian at my high school beat me out by a few decimal points, because they took less classes their senior year. We had both taken nearly the same schedule for three years, and we both had all A’s, but in the last year I took a full schedule and he took two periods off. That meant his GPA would be slightly higher, because I would have to take a class that didn’t give an extra grade point.

So you don’t have to be disabled to pull off something like this, but yeah, it does suck, and they should lose. They should add in a system so that you don’t get rewarded for not taking classes.

This is really more an indictment of the “weighted grade” system that gives you more points for some classes as opposed to others. The school’s contention was that, since the two other students called “co-valedictorian” had to take the gym classes, which were weighted low, even with perfect scores they couldn’t pass the plantiff’s marks. Well, whose fault was that, then? Colleges and universities don’t (AFAIK) weight classes, so why should a high school?

What burns me about this case was the fact it was taken to court at all. If you’re a “co-valedictorian” and you’re accepted to your choice of Ivy League colleges…what makes having “co-” next to your title such a pain? How many people, even when they go into grad school, put their valedictory status on their applications? And is this worth “$2.5 million” in damages? Not hardly. How kind of her to want to leave her school district with a $2.5 million hole in their budget.

I’d like to slap that effing bitch with a brick.

Hard.

Since the case hasn’t gone to trial yet, Miss Hornstine has a ways to go before she sees a dime of that money, or if she even gets anything at all. She’s going to have to prove that she was harmed in some way, and since she was already at the top of her class and was admitted to an Ivy League school, it’s going to be hard to prove.

This does send a message to Miss Hornstine, and it’s not a good one. What if she can’t handle the rigors of an Ivy League college education because of her disability? Is she going to sue on the basis that she’s entitled to a free (or very cheap) ride? What if she doesn’t get into law school, or doesn’t make it through? Is she going to sue them, too? Or what if she doesn’t make partner at her firm?

Life isn’t fair. Suing to get what you want is not a good thing.

Robin

Life may not be fair; however, that’s not what’s at issue in her case, AFAICT. It seems to me that the school changed the rules on her and decided at the last minute to minimize (in her view) her accomplishment.

I don’t see that at all. What I read from the article was that the school was trying to take everything into consideration and allow both students to share the distinction of valedictorian.

What the CNN site didn’t say was that Miss Hornstine’s father is a judge in New Jersey, and that she has accomplished enough in her life to get into Harvard on her own merits.

What I see is a girl taking advantage of the legal system and her disability to get what she wants. Nothing more nor less.

Robin

What bothers me is that she is apparently still proceeding with the lawsuit. She got the school to fold and she still wants to see a nice $2.5 mil out of the deal?

Oh, wait, I forgot:

Sorry about that, it makes perfect sense now.

Being valedictorian is minimized if another student shares the title with you?

I can see your point about changing the rules possibly being unfair but if the rules were changed to correct something that was unfair I don’t see the point. Other students shouldn’t get valedictorian status because of a mathematical abberration? One they had no control over?

I also do not see where ANY damages are incurred here. How was Ms. Hornstine hurt by any of this? $500,000 in compensatory damages? From what? Cost of her school books?

As an aside I thought you could not recover legal fees when suing someone except in very specific circumstances but the OP quoted that this is part fo the damages being sought. Am I missing something on that?

This does not seem to be the case.

The same article does mention that Hornstine was able to take classes not available to students who went to the public school due to conflicting schedule issues at the school that did not affect Hornstine. If she had gone to the school they calculate her GPA would have missed the top spot by .005 points so she would not have been valedictorian.

Regardless of how fair her academic program was, the idea that she’d feel somehow entitled to be the only valedictorian - when she clearly isn’t playing on the same field. There’s a reason they have Special Olympics, if something’s wrong with you and you can’t compete on the same level field as everyone else, you don’t compete against them.

If she needed to be exempt from gym class and have special tutors she shouldn’t be in the running for the title, and certainly shouldn’t be the ONLY student to get it. And then that she’s actually suing irks the Christmas cookies out of me.

But at least there is some poetic justice, I’ve heard through the old grapevine that the kids at Harvard have gotten full wind of this and are ready to roast the bitch on a spit - she should have a relatively miserable few years.

Great! I hope she has the most miserable college existence ever!

I also hope we get to hear about it.

FWIW I have no idea how ‘fair’ her academic program was but I agree wholeheartedly with sivispacem. Whatever university she ends up at I hope she gets an earful from the students there for the next four years.

I wonder how this will affect her down the line. If the title means so much to her she has to get a court involved, I’m sure she’ll slap “valedictorian” on everything from her resume to her box of Cheerios in her dorm room, but I wonder if she’ll be honest enough to tell people how she got it.

Maybe it’s just because I live in a city where there are lots of high schools under a single jurisdiction - but I don’t quite understand why someone who has essentailly been home schooled for the last two years would be eligible to be the valedictorian of a school that the student didn’t attend.

We have an athlete on our basketball team that dropped 4 or 5 spots because she is scheduled into the athletic period. She had the second highest gpa midway through her sophomore year. Considering the amount of time she devotes to our program it is sad that her gpa suffers. She is a team-first style of player, a role-player, not a great athlete. She works at full-potential 100% of the time. We are very fortunate to have her on the squad. I am bothered that this kind of commitment and devotion works against her. Seems unfair.

Oddly, we were just discussing this with her on Friday. She is not bothered by this and seems eager to continue helping us reach program goals. Her two older sisters were both valedictorians.

I was wondering that myself. It would seem that a student who took the majority of her instruction at home should be classified as “homeschooled” and not as a student at the local high school.

I just have to wonder if there’s more that we don’t know yet.

Robin