[QUOTE=Otto]
I’m constantly amazed that people who, I assume, are at somewhat equivalent in intellect can watch the same thing and have such radically different reactions. Two people thought this was the best episode ever and there’s Sam and me and some others on the other side of it. This episode killed the show for me. Killed it dead.
Tom’s parents have never heard of Abbott and Costello? Bullshit. But even if they haven’t, thank god Tom had time to run out to the all-night Abbott and Costello 78 RPM record store. And that ridiculous “Your brother’s in Afganistan!” outburst. Christ.
And the good Negro/bad Negro comedy club. Shamefully unoriginal and shamefully telegraphed. That whole “it’s an insult to me not to have black writers.” You’re so fucking funny, you write something! I bet if you wanted to write something in your unique black voice it’d get heard. The good Negro comic had the funniest bit on the series so far. I wonder if that was on purpose.
The baseball player is the anti-Matt? I don’t believe it, because if he were the opposite of Matt he’d be INTERESTING.
And the network president who was mortified two episodes ago about a DUI getting dug up shows up to the cast party drunk? Nice consistent bit of characterization there.
And the old guy wandering around the studio clutching the photo? Gee, I wonder if he used to work in the building or something some time? And then to dump that fucking Harriet/Matt parallel into the scene like the lead weight that it was. I rarely actually yell at my television but that steaming pile made me.
Awful. Just fucking awful from start to finish.
[/QUOTE]
I figured he sent a PA or someone out to get the record.
I really think that sending a couple of people off to Mandyville wouldn’t be a bad thing, because this cast is so huge that we’re getting bad characterization for most of them.
I think it’s realistic to believe that this show won’t beat CSI: Miami, CSI: Green Bay or even CSI: Wingo, KY. NBC, however, is expecting this show to do CSI numbers because of the cast and production team, and that’s why it’s being spun as a disappointment so far.
This is still the second-best new show on NBC, and it’s pretty good compared to almost anything else in this year’s freshman class (Smith? Justice? Kidnapped?) It hasn’t found its groove yet, and I think part of that is because Mondays at 10 is not the right place for it. Friday at 9, leading into Law & Order might be the better spot if you don’t move it to Saturday.