Stuff in movies that bugs me. How about you?

I feel like this happens ALL THE DAMN TIME in Law and Order.

I am more sensitive about pregnancy errors now because I am pregnant myself (and the errors abound!) Still, I let the silly ones go, like in sitcoms where women always give birth in elevators after 2 contractions and such. I get that they are just playing for the laugh. But I saw one the other day that irritated me:

I was watching The Departed and there is a scene where the therapist chick (forgot her name) tells Matt Damon that she is pregnant. Except she doesn’t just tell him, she produces an Ultrasound photo and declares that “that tiny speck right there is a penis” or some such line. The problems here are that no one gets a routine ultrasound when you go to the Dr. to confirm a pregnancy, you cannot even see anything on an ultrasound until 6 weeks or so, and even if you do get one, you cannot reliably determine sex until about 18-20 weeks or thereabouts ( I am waiting for my ultrasound now - coming up in 2 weeks so I know!) I had an ultrasound done at 9 weeks and there were barely arm and leg buds visible, much less a penis!

She is not visibly pregnant at all. I mean, no baggy sweats or what have you, you can see her flat as a board stomach. There is no freaking way that woman is 18 weeks pregnant! And just found out about it! Argh. She is probably about 4 weeks or whatever if she just found out and that embryo is still a ball of cells.

I know, the movie was trying to establish that he had specifically produced a son, but this was so far from even possible reality that it irritated me.

Grant manages to fire the shotgun at the raptors trying to get into the control room. We never see it though; we just hear gunshots, then a quick cut to the riddled control room door glass and the jammed shotgun laying on the floor.

I’m still not sure how he managed to miss a big giant raptor head through the glass one foot from the end of the barrell. Maybe paleontologists are just really bad shots.

There was a moment in the new Transformers movie, when Sam is made aware of his love interest’s past troubles with the law. He reacts like he’s offended that she hid it from him, and he’s not sure if he’ll be able to trust her after this, and they have a little fight-moment. In another movie it would have made sense, but in Transformers? Dude, you just found out, in quick succession, that (1) aliens exist, (2) the aliens are living robots, (3) the living robot aliens are here on Earth, (4) they are in the midst of an incredibly dangerous living robot alien war, and (5) you and your family are intimately involved in the whole thing. Compared to all that, how does the revelation that your new girlfriend once stole a car even register?

And how was she even hiding it from him, really? The closest thing they’d had to a date was him trying to give her a ride home once. Is that something she’s supposed to mention in the first five minutes of the first conversation with anyone she meets?

Yeah, he was definitely overreacting no matter what.

How bout movies where people attend a cemetery funeral service and the freshly carved headstone is already in place before the casket is even lowered? Those are some mighty fast stonecutters. Whenever one of my family members have died, it took a good 3 to 6 months to get the headstone carved and placed.

[ul]
[li] Gun out of bullets = throw it away. It’s useless.[/li][li] Guns aren’t very noisy. Nobody’s hearing is affected after firing dozens of rounds.[/li][li] “Gimme your badge and gun - you’re suspended!!”[/li][li] Character has a few shots of booze. Effects hit immediately, involve stumbling around and slurring like heavy drugs were involved, ending with falling down asleep mid-sentence.[/li][li] Everyone talks to the monitor as they type.[/li][li] Keyboards makes beeping noises with every keystroke.[/li][li] Any computer in the world can be hacked in seconds by someone typing 160 words per minute and not using a mouse. Sometimes with one hand, sometimes with a gun to their head while getting a blowjob.[/li][li] Low resolution blurry security camera images can be “enhanced” to reveal someone’s face, a license plate, etc.[/li][li] Cell phones receive dialtones when the other party hangs up.[/li][li] Cell phones receive a signal at all times, even in a parking garage, unless the plot calls for them not to.[/li][li] No one can hear you sneak up on them if they’re looking into the refrigerator or medicine cabinet.[/li][li] Any car will have trouble starting if you’re being chased. But don’t worry - it will start up in the nick of time.[/li][/ul]

I went back to read who posted this. I thought for sure I knew who it was.

Huh.

-Joe

Or when the only people shown attending the funeral are the other main characters in the show/movie. The poor guy didn’t have any other friends or relatives?

I hate actresses playing professional women who are dressed in low cut tops, short minis, and super high heels. Real doctors, lawyers, professors, etc. do not dress like pieces of meat. I also hate that they’re all about 21 years old. And double points off if they are forced to run, damsel in distress style, on their ankle-turning heels with their breasts bouncing.

I hate courtroom scenes where the attorney is beating up the witness in a clearly objectionable and impermissible manner and the opposing attorney and the judge just sit there, inert.

To be fair, I don’t think that Yoda wanted to tell Luke - it’s called dissembling (or disassembling, according to our President). Remember, Luke had to pretty much pry details out of Ben, figure it out from the details, and then get Ben to confirm it.

Eh…much as I hate to admit my encyclopedic knowledge of that movie…

In the control room, when the raptors are trying to get in, they grab a gun, the scene cuts away to the kids at the computer, there’s several shots, and when the camera returns to Our Heroes there’s some bullet holes in the glass and the gun is on the floor.

Apparently our esteemed director couldn’t figure out a way that Raptors should survive a point-blank shotgun…so he didn’t show what happens.

-Joe

There was a spoof of this on some “Futurama” episode where there’s a trial scene with all kinds of wacky hijinks. At every inappropriate moment, the judge goes, “I’m going to allow this.” It was great.

[QUOTE=Morbo]
[li] Any computer in the world can be hacked in seconds by someone typing 160 words per minute and not using a mouse. Sometimes with one hand, sometimes with a gun to their head while getting a blowjob.[/li][/QUOTE]

And, of course, there’s a huge green ACCESS GRANTED screen that lasts for five seconds before you can actually do anything useful. How annoying would that be in real life, if you had to use that computer every day?

My last trip to the Vet had a mid-twenties girl with some rather impressive (and extremely likely fake) breasts and a low-cut shirt. She’s a real professional. She’s also a real professional that spends a goodly chunk of her time leaning over in front of pet owners.

Not that I complained. I just wasn’t sure if I was supposed to tip. :slight_smile:

-Joe

Where’s that vet’s office? I don’t have a pet but I want to check it out, for the benefit of Dopers everywhere, of course. :smiley:

I’m starting to get a little tired of the comedies featuring a wake in which the body somehow gets knocked out of its coffin and winds up on somebody. I’m thinking of Beerfest and Scary Movie III, but there are others. It’s gotten to the point where I see a wake in a comedy and I make a mental bet with myself over who’s going to be wearing the body by the end of the scene. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I laugh, because you know, desecration of a corpse is hilarious, but come on, people, it’s been done to death, so to speak.

I still cannot figure out how on the The Sopranos, when Vito was on the run in New Hampshire and stole the guy’s cell phone at the B&B he was staying in and called his wife back in New Jersey, the caller id on her landline phone had the cell phone owners name spelled out.

I never watched the show again; well, until it came on the next week.

My caller ID does that. I didn’t think it was uncommon.

SSG Schwartz

You get the cell phone account holder’s name on your landline?