Walking down the front walk yesterday afternoon, I felt an insect land on my foot. I was only wearing a pair of sandals on my feet, and didn’t think anything of the insect until I felt a sharp pain coming from one of my toes. I looked down, and the insect was a wasp. I was being stung!
I must have presented a strange sight to the neighbours, as I danced around on the lawn, trying to kick the wasp off my foot. It wouldn’t go, of course, and I finally ended up getting rid of it by dragging the top of my foot across the grass. With that accomplished, I painfully limped back to the front porch to assess the damage. But it was just a sting–it hurt and the toe that was stung would swell a bit, but I would be fine. And I’m not allergic to stings, so no problems there.
But damn! It hurt all evening, and I can still feel it this morning. It’s been years since I had any kind of bee or wasp sting–I don’t think I’ve been stung since I was a child–and I don’t remember feeling them for this long. Like I said, I’ll be fine, but I’m certainly going to make sure the front walk is clear of insects (especially wasps) before I walk down it again in sandals!