Stupid Gun news of the day (Part 2)

I thought the 4th was supposed to be about fireworks and not firearms…

In phila a shooter timed his shooting of 2 policemen with the fireworks.

“In what authorities believe was an accident”…I can’t wait for the day when one of these shootings is not believed to be an accident and the state seeks the death penalty for a 5 year old. …

Damien, is that you?

And again, an “accidental” shooting. That is patently false. This shooting was either deliberate or negligent. There isn’t any middle ground.

There are no accidents with guns. — Jim Wright, Stonekettle Station

I get what you’re saying, and with guns an extreme level of care is required, so a gun “going off” or a gun being shot by a child is definitely the result of negligence. But isn’t your statement, as it reads, true of all accidents of any type? What car crash isn’t the result of negligence at some level? Isn’t falling off a ladder due to negligence?

In many settings, “motor vehicle accident” (“MVA”) has been replaced by motor vehicle collision" (“MVC”) to make the same point.

I know some businesses and agencies deliberately use the term “mishap” for the same reason.

This incident was this past Feb., but this story was just published today. A man with a rifle creeping around a kids dance competition. True hero of a cop here, BTW.

"Within minutes, Simpo spotted the suspect, later identified as Guido Herrera, near the Westin Ballroom entrance, within a few feet of hundreds of children. Surveillance video shows Herrera wearing a shirt with the Punisher logo, carrying a rifle in one hand, a Bible in another, and wearing a leather mask with spikes.
“I quickly bum rushed, tackled him. And my first reaction was to make sure that I get a hold of the rifle. No matter what I grabbed, make sure I grabbed that rifle,” Simpo said. “I had in my mind (that) I was going to get shot. I just had to bear the pain, I knew it was going to hurt, and I was like, ‘Whatever I do, I cannot let go of this rifle.’”

So why is this story stupid, I can hear you asking? The answer is: “Oh yeah, Texas.”

“Once under arrest, police took inventory of what he carried. Besides the rifle and Bible, they also found 120 rounds of ammunition and a handgun. However, since Herrera didn’t actually shoot anyone, he did not commit a felony offense under Texas law.”

Texas: “No felony until there’s dead kids!”

So, they gave him back all his guns and ammo and sent him on his way???

He was sentenced to a year in jail, according to the link. They didn’t specify the charge.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Authorities-mass-shooting-Galleria-FBI-17306567.php

The accusation and that of a second gun-related incident at the FBI field office a month later resulted in two misdemeanor charges — disorderly conduct and unlawful carrying of a weapon — both of which landed at random in Criminal Court of Law No. 8, leaving Judge Franklin Bynum on Thursday to decide how to punish Herrera for a crime that harmed no one but threatened public safety.

Bynum, whose fate on the bench is pending a decision from the Texas Supreme Court for complaints of leniency toward defendants and bias against prosecutors, opted for the maximum sentence that he is legally allowed to hand down to Herrera for the Galleria incident: Six months in the Harris County Jail.

So that should settle the “leniency” question, eh?

“Low body count” is probably a felony in Texas.

'Course not. All those guns and all that ammo was safely stowed away into different cops ‘treasure closets’ before their next shift. Who signed them out?

Officer Hey Ida-know…

But don’t they have to be 'Meruhkan bodies to count?

I have no idea what the bag limits are.

And whether they are calculated by discrete units or total mass.

Discrete units. You can’t expect someone in the middle of a shooting spree to weigh each potential victim. Messes up their flow.