Stupid Gun news of the day (Part 2)

This is Not the “responsible gun ownership” that I was told to expect.

The link is to a story about ‘Ammo Vending Machines’ which have been rolled out in grocery stores all over the south.

I’d like to add some data not found in the article. Ammo is sold in boxes/bricks of 50 that can be about the size of a can of Coke.

Soda vending machines can hold from 300 to 700 cans of soda. It’s the same design, So 300 to 700 bricks of ammo (15,000 - 35000 rounds of ammo) when full.

These are inside grocery stores (no reinforced glass there). After the store closes at night, what is to stop a smash & grab thief from smashing the glass, axle grinding off the door lock/hinges, cut the chutes and then dump the columns of bricks into a large gunny sack? A gunny sack which gets tossed into an open trunk or a truck bed, and then the crew is gone?

They’d be gone so fast that police probably couldn’t catch them. Its a grocery store, so they won’t even expect that what’s stolen is gun ammo. They’ll think someone is trying to get into the store safe (they can’t) or trying to make off with armloads of fine cuts of beef.

This is going to lead to waves of crime and murder. Criminals can’t get ammo for the guns they steal from houses and trucks? Guess what, Jethro, now they can.

Well, got to say, when heard the first sketchy reports of a shootout at Yellowstone my mind immediately went into wondering if this was when we could finally put the “Zone of Death” to the test. Was not to be…

This is what I like to call “design to secure against the compliant user.” I watched the video. It looks like it takes photos of the customer, etc., etc. It looks harder to break into than your standard Coke machine, but I don’t know just how hard. I would imagine someone with adequate preparation who knows what they’re doing could open one of those in under a minute. That’s not going to be a crime of opportunity. But a grocery store isn’t going to be as secure as a gun & ammo store.

Also, I’m not a cop. I don’t know how calls get prioritized. At 2-3 AM I’d think it would be calls with fights/violence, domestic disputes where lives are in danger, armed robberies, DUIs and car chases… etc.

An alarm goes off at Shaw’s, Kroger, Lion King where the store is closed… I’m just not convinced about it having a high priority response time.

Also, I’m totally serious about this keeping stolen guns on the street forever. I was a juror on a case once where the arrested person was a gang member suspected of commiting murder. The murder was committed with a .40 pistol. The search came up with a .44 magnum with one round of ammo. Still illegal, but you get it: the gun was stolen, they were almost out of bullets but had one bullet left. With only one bullet left it was almost useless.

Now imagine they’re shopping at Lion King and see a vendor that sells 9mm, .40, .380, .44, .357, 30-06, 7.62, 12-ga, etc ( I can’t tell you what the popular flavors are anymore ). The criminal might think, "Golly, that stolen gun isn’t so useless anymore. Matter of fact, I can get ammo for almost any of my stolen guns if I can just get into the machine. In other words, guns stay on the street virtually forever.

Now I’m not going to lie: my fancy plan for gun control was to severely limit ammo sales and only from places that were armor reinforced like battleships. That idea is trashed now, because now there will be ammo on the streets for… generations!?

Those stolen guns will rust into dust long before the criminals run out of ammo.

Like they’re sweeping ammo off the shelves at Wal-Mart and Academy and all the other sporting goods stores?

Tell us the sky is falling without telling us the sky is falling.

Those places ( for the most part ) protect the hell out of their ammo sections and guard them with actual people.

Gun stores do also.

But tiny unguarded vending machines…?

“The lead and brass is falling… the lead and brass is falling…”

Why wouldn’t a criminal be able to get ammo by walking into a store and buying it? I’m guessing some states might make it a bit harder to buy ammo but around the NW you walk in, pick out what you want assuming they have it in stock, and go pay for it. No ID checks or anything else. I think these vending machines are stupid, but I don’t think they will cause any sort of statistical change in crimes committed with guns.

What The Ever-Living Fuck…!? Is This True…?

Even down in the most Inbred towns of the Carolinas, bricks were behind the counters and in locked cabinets. They had empty boxes in the display cases and somewhere behind the counter you knew there was a loaded gun in case someone tried to jump over the counter.

I honestly did not know that in the PNW, gun stores had gone full full Brainless Raging Neanderthal. Fuck it all… we’re done…

< Grunt > “Hulk Buy Big Bullets!” < Grunt >

In Massachusetts at least you have to show your gun license to buy ammo.

I hate to tell you this, but in many (most?) states you can buy ammunition online, in near any quantity you can imagine, as long as you have valid payment.

The secure ammunition in stores is generally because it’s a theft target (small, valuable, easy to resell) rather than to protect from improper use.

Granted, there are several less permissive states that do have additional requirements to buy ammunition, but they’re more the exception than the rule.

In Arizona, you just walk in, look at the shelves like you’re in a grocery store, and pick out the ammo you want. Been that way forever.

Our sky is still up there.

So is Pablo Escobar and his minions. Enjoy!

Whatever that means.

No such thing as a gun license around these parts unless you want to concealed carry.

Or, go to one of the plentiful gun shows and buy your .223 and 7.62x39 in bulk. Also pickup a gun without any sort of background or ID check.

Maybe I over reacted. I thought that ammo purchase regulations were pretty much uniform from state to state. ( Don’t get caught buying & transporting over state lines; INAL but I’ve been told that in a lot of places thats a felony due to the tax aspect alone. )

I don’t want to fight with people. That said, you have no idea how such lax gun laws conjure up images of areas of the US being just half a step away from being Deadwood where Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott saunter up with twin 6-guns on horseback, giving “stink eye” and asking how much money is in your wallet “just for fun”.

Same in Missouri. Some retailers, like Walmart have some ammo locked up, but shotshells and some other are on the open shelves.

Rural King, Tractor Supply, Bass Pro, all the ammo is out on the shelf.

I agree with you. Getting rid of the “gunshow loophole” nationwide would be a great first step. You know how easy it is for someone with a felony on their record to buy a gun when private sales are allowed in a lot of states?

Here in the “old west” of Arizona it’s 50-50 whether Selleck and Elliot would end up richer, or dead.

But I’m not helping my case. :slight_smile:

In fact, I never carry. I don’t feel unsafe in Arizona.

For some reason, at the BassPro in Mesa the.223 was behind the counter last time I was there. So far as I know it was the only caliber that was so. The clerks were busy so I didn’t stick around as to why.

Probably because the True Patriots were buying it all. Poor old dumb liberal me doesn’t already have 20K rounds stocked and I can never find it.