Stupid liberal idea of the day

Of course he deserves all the ridicule and abuse he gets. But his kids should be off limits. I realize that the intent of depicting them as monkeys is to satirize their father’s exploitative use of them in the ad. But the kids are just going to see themselves called monkeys in the newspaper.

Only if someone makes a point of showing it to them and explaining it.

Another stupid liberal idea. At least right-wingers never apologize for offending people (or offer apologies that are typically perfunctory, insincere and framed conditionally). Because, you know, they are called the right wing for a reason.

I’m sure they have already been exposed to their Dad’s unique perspective on the matter.

And Saturday Night Live, IIRC. Mike Myers ended up apologizing to the Clintons for his remarks about Chelsea. Not what I’d call fringe.

I suppose, but it seems unfair to blame other people for him doing that.

Going back to my argument that the Republicans have attacked Democrats’ kids.

This was John McCain in 1998:

From Rush Limbaugh, when Chelsea Clinton was 13 years old:

Beck and Limbaugh attacking the Obama daughters

I haven’t seen the Cruz and kids ad, but a lefty friend of mine says he watched it, and it has something about Ted’s kid reading a parody Christmas story about Hillary the Grinch.

Anybody else see that?

For me it’s not attacking Cruz’s kids, it’s their portrayal as monkeys. I had thought we weren’t allowed to compare politicians to monkeys anymore. When someone did it to Obama it was a furor of shock and outrage.

That’s because of the past history of comparing African-Americans to apes/monkeys.

It’s both, but it’s also different for Cruz than for Obama. Comparing white people to monkeys doesn’t have a history of links to brutality.

First, Cruz isn’t white, second, the political class does not need to be treated with sensitivity. If we establish that only white politicians can get it from both barrels then we establish that only white politicians can lead. Part of being able to climb to the top is that you can take the heat when you get there. Obama himself to his credit has never whined about tasteless jokes about him, but his fans can be needlessly sensitive about such things. Either we can portray politicians as monkeys or we can’t.

Have you ever heard of a little thing known as “context”?

He’s as white as Obama. And *actually *foreign-born, birth certificate and all.

Yes, your team has totally kid-gloved Obama for the last eight years, haven’t you?

And, to your discredit, you’ve never stopped making them.

It’s about Cruz’s kids, not him. The kids are in it only because he made them do it.

I’m fine with the answer being “We shouldn’t”, but that doesn’t mean it’s equivalent. It’s not equivalent.

TBCF, the left endlessly treated W. like a piñata. Which was kind of silly, because they knew from the outset that nothing good would ever get knocked out of him.

How do you defined “white”?

I dunno if Cruz is “white”, but he’s pasty.

It has to be. You can’t say that a person is equal, yet treat them with special consideration. If a black man can be President, or a Latino man, or a woman, then they can take all the insults and jokes that come with that. Sensitivity is meant to protect the powerless from the powerful, not the powerful from the hoi polloi.

Do you ever think before posting? Do you think there’s no difference between a white person calling a black person a nigger, and a black person calling a white person a nigger. or for that matter a black person calling another black person a nigger?