Stupid little things the pandemic has taken from you

Agreed. For many years now I’ve been visiting my parents (for the past few years, just my dad) every three months or so. I haven’t seen my dad since February, and probably won’t until next summer. His assisted-living facility has already had a COVID outbreak that killed eleven other residents; he came through unscathed (except for extreme social isolation due to the prevention measures), but the next outbreak there could very well kill him. I hope I get to see him again. This isn’t a stupid little thing at all, for me or you or Lurkmeister.

In the stupid little things category:
Everything is delivered now. We don’t go into retail establishments anymore, and I kind of miss the mental stimulation. Hardware store, grocery store, Home Depot, that sort of thing. Just walking past the aisles of goods and browsing the colors/words/shapes/ideas, all the sounds and smells, people-watching, and so on.

Been working at home since March. My coworkers and I have video meetings as necessary to get our work done, but they’re all scheduled. The spontaneous little conversations and bull sessions that seem to pop up when you are all in the same physical space together is gone, and I kind of miss that.

We’ve been getting take-out food from a couple of local restaurants, but that’s it. I haven’t dined inside a restaurant since March. There are several establishments whose food I miss, but what they offer wouldn’t work well as takeout. I miss a good cheeseburger, particularly from a couple of local places. Yeah, that could go takeout, but it would be soggy and gross by the time I got home with it.