Stupid TV News Custom #3174

One thing that I hate about TV News is they have a reporter out in the middle of nowhere “live on the scene” long after all the blood was cleared up doing a report during the news. There’s nothing going on there. Hasn’t been in hours (I’ve seen them be “live on the scene” 2 days after an accident.) They should be in the studio. They should tape it so they can get the flubs removed. I don’t care one bit if it’s “live” or “on the scene”.

But last night took the cake. I’ll not mention the station to avoid further embarassing it. The station hosted a candidate debate earlier. The reporter was standing outside the building. It was nearing dark. That’s right, the reporter left the building he worked in, the well lit studio, the banks of tape machines, to go stand outside and do a “live on the scene” report. The debate was inside. Why is he outside? Surely he wasn’t denied permission to go inside his own station to film. He would have been closer to the “scene” if he reported from the news desk. Appalling stupid.

So post 'em. Other bizarre examples of “live on the scene” stupidity.

I like it when they feel that unless they’ve got a guy standing in front of some wind-blown trees, no one will believe there’s actually a hurricane going on.

I’m a local tv retiree, but not from the news department. I think you see many nonsensical “live” shots to justify the cost of the station’s live trucks. In other words: You got 'em; so use 'em! I don’t think any viewer is being fooled by this tactic.

One station here interupted programming to stay live on the scene of a plane crash. They were there for about 2 hours. The thing is, it was a cargo plane, so there were only 2 people aboard, and it crashed in a cemetary, so everyone on the ground was already dead.
News, yes. A 2 hour live report, no.

I love it when every year on April 15, a reporter is live outside the main Post Office to show people standing in line waiting to mail their tax returns. Every year.

Our local stations find it neccesary to go out LIVE on the station’s “weather deck” to show us that yes, it is indeed raining/snowing/sleeting/hailing/very cold/very windy/nearing tornadic conditons.

They also have “Weather Cams” that they use to show remote views of the weather. Even when the lens is completely obliterated with rain or snow.

I’m glad they provide this service because I’d hate to get up from the couch and look out the window myself. :rolleyes:

And don’t forget Christmas Eve. They somehow believe it is news EVERY YEAR that people wait till the last minute to buy gifts.

“armed gunman”

“We will continue to update you on this story”

“Aliens demand Earth surrenders by 9:30 or face complete destruction. Film at 11” an old George Carlin schtick

Here, just this weekend, a news story was supposed to have happened, “Just west of the Metro…” That’s what the blurb was. (about a shooting, btw) Turns out, it was a small town 100 miles away from THIS metro area, actually closer to the other big city in this state. Yes, only two big cities in this state. Enough clues?

The OJ Simpson “chase”. It was quite obvious that the news anchors (like Dan Rather) were seriously running out of things to say while the cameras watched nothing happen for a long while.

I’m with Legomancer and Greywolf on the “live weather reports.” Our local Weather Channel feed is horrendously guilty of this (I qualify that, as I’ve no idea how many of these reports make it to other local, or the national/satellite, WC feeds.) from June to November, or so.

We do, at least, get to amuse ourselves by playing “Hey, haven’t we been there before?”

[sub]Which wasn’t quite so amusing during the non-weather ‘breaking story’ on Alligator Alley a little while back.[/sub]

I disagree. I think this was a totally valid use of the live camera. The event was actually taking place as we watched. And the “nothing happening” made for very good television. You knew something would eventually happen. . . and you wanted to be there as it did. Riveting!

How what you’re eating RIGHT NOW could KILL YOU!

We’ll tell you all about it at 11:00…

Stupid local news tricks:

1- “The cause of the fire is under investigation.” Well of course, you’re showing me the flames live on TV. Do you think the fire marshall can tell the cause before the fire is out?

2- “Counselors will be at the school tomorrow…” Gotta say it EVERY time a school kid dies for any reason. Maybe it’s a good thing, but it’s also a given.

3- Sporting event ends a bit late and the 6:00 local news starts at 6:05. Can they cut some of the inane banter and do the show in 25 minutes? NO! They run the full local 30 minutes and cut out the first and most important 5 minutes of the national news.

4- Kwanzaa- would it exist except for the local news?

5- Price of stamps goes up. Of course the only way to get local reaction to this is to put a camera crew at the post office.

6- Local election coverage. Don’t know if this happens everywhere, but our local stations NEVER have any actual returns to show until well after the race has been called on national television. Gotta break for local coverage twice every hour, but never get actual news.

I agreed with Dennis Miller’s sentiments on this one: “Hey Airwolf, shoot the fuckin’ tires out and put Frasier back on, OK?”

There is a reporter in New York City on, I believe, the Channel 4 News who was also prone to doing unnecessary on-the-scene reports. I called him the “striding correspondent” because he would invariably be standing 10 or so feet from the building site, or the crime site, or wherever the news story took place, when he first appeared on camera. Then, while beginning his report of the story, he would rapidly walk over to the site in question, almost as if he hoped for a dramatic effect that would fool the watcher into thinking he was arriving there just as some important event was about to happen. Sadly for him, such an event never happened, as the subject of the story was long over.

When I was in college training to become a reporter, I had to broadcast news writing. I was a print major, but broadcast was a req.

My instructor was a local TV news director. I remember someone asked him about superfluous live shots, and annie’s reason is exactly the one he gave.

“If we don’t do (X number of) live shots a month, we can’t justify the mast trucks and other remote equipment on the budget. If we don’t keep them, we obviously won’t have them when we really need them. So from time to time we’ll send a reporter we don’t really like to stand in the middle of a thunderstorm just to show people it’s raining.”

That’s a paraphrase (obviously, it’s been 12-13 years), but as close to verbatim as I can remember it.

The Shoals bureau reporter for the nearby CBS affiliate does most of her daily reports from the sidewalk outside the local newspaper’s building where the bureau is based (station and newspaper are owned by the same company). The company spent lots of money remodeling a big chunk of the building to give the bureau a background shot of the paper’s newsroom for in studio reports. She’s only in there during bad weather, unlike the last bureau reporter who knew how to use background shots to aid the visuals in her reports. Instead of a (hopefully) busy newsroom the reporter wants a background shot of traffic zipping through an intersection in most of her reports.

CNN’s Gary Tuchman running through the woods outside the Asland, Va. Ponderosa restaurant for the 50th time, almost 72 hours after the shooting.

After five days of digging, officials are satisfied they have retrieved all bodies involved with the crash. Final death toll: 1,952.