Succession on HBO

I agree, but in case anyone is wondering, here is the relevant bit from a Vulture article.

Armstrong decided early on that the season’s finished scripts wouldn’t be rewritten to incorporate the ongoing pandemic. “These are really wealthy people,” says Snook. “And unfortunately, none of the world’s really wealthy people were going to be affected by the pandemic.”

Logan suggested Gerri needed to go. Shiv suggested to Gerri that she should bring harassment charges against Roman otherwise she would appear ineffectual and likely forced out as CEO if (when) it came out she was being sexually harassed.

And Mattson’s goal of “massive failure” should raise some red flags.

Thank you for the correction. Still, we saw that Gerri and Roman had this weird flirting thing going earlier where he masturbated while on the phone with her. If she sues, she’s going to be questioned about all of that while being deposed. They may even ask about her sexual history. In short, she’s going to be embarrassed and humiliated.

I think they are just ignoring it. Yeah the Roys are wealthy but everyone else isn’t. If it was Covid times, the City of NY wouldn’t have allowed Kendall’s birthday party, for example.

There is a magazine article, released earlier this year, which accidentally reveals, via a descriptive passage, what happens to Kendall.

I am going to enact my own version of the 2-click rule and say if you want a link to this article, PM me.

I think the answer is pretty well tipped-off in the preview for the next episode, to be fair.

Top throwaway insult this week…“Scary Poppins”

Also I was highly disappointed that “Peter Munion” wasn’t played by Roger Allam. Opportunity missed there I think.

That would have been superb.

Mind how you go.

No-one delivers withering put-downs better than Roger, a little understated verbal sparring between him and Logan Roy would have been a thing of beauty I’m sure.

Was I the only one who thought that Kendall drowned in the last seconds of this episode?

They certainly left it for you to think that, but I think there’d be a lot more instinctual coughing and choking before you could drown just by dipping your head in a swimming pool.

If you are that boozed out, like those who slip under the water in the bathtub, would they? Or how long until they did that?

I certainly thought that was the big thing of the episode. Avclub also thinks it’s there, but I suppose that’s a cliffhanger if you will…

Holy shit what an ending!

Tom Wambsgans sends his regards.

Yea, that was pretty great.

Now the long wait for the next season begins again.

Man, I love this show more with every passing episode. Deal with the Devil, indeed! This just moved my man Cousin Greg one step closer to his ultimate take-over of Waystar Royco!

Favorite line of the episode: “We just walked in mom and dad fucking (us).”

I am not a fan of this season’s overall arc but that was definitely an interesting ending which keeps me curious about what will happen next.

BTW the whole premise of the last few episodes about the soaring valuation of new media companies relative to traditional media isn’t really true. In fact just recently Buzzfeed’s stock price has crashed and it’s market cap is less than a billion dollars. By contrast Fox Corp has a market cap of 20 billion. There was a lot of excitement about new media some years back but it’s been a struggle for ad dollars against the twin juggernauts of Google and Facebook. While companies like Fox haven’t been doing that great either, at least they have a steady business with solid profits.

I’m gonna have to rewatch the scene with Tom riffing on Greg about potentially becoming the monarch of Luxembourg because that was some seriously clever and funny stuff.

Connor was really upset about the ‘merger of equals’ because GoJo is trying to deplatform people like him, which makes me think GoJo is basically a Twitter sized company at least. But likely even bigger, due to it’s streaming service. I think it’s supposed to be pretty massive horizontally integrated company. The acquisition almost seems to harken back to Amazon buying the Washington Post.

I was thinking of how Rupert Murdoch sold off the Fox movie and television studios to Disney, to avoid the question of succession. Instead, there’s a pile of money to divide.

The shocked looks on the faces of the kids as they were confronted with the impending loss of unearned privilege was delicious.

All their lives they had roamed the halls of the castle, untouchable lords and ladies because of birthright, demanding deference from the unlucky others who actually performed the work. If the sale goes through, they’ll be reduced to having to purchase that deference with cold hard cash, much like Connor has been doing for some time.

Of course, the deal could still fall through and the infighting will resume next season and my schadenfraude unrequited.

I see they studied their Coppola: Very reminiscent of the end of GF1, with Shiv as Kaye.

Poor Roman: Lost Gerri and his Dad’s love in about 2 minutes. Shiv gets shived by the man she’s been shivving.

One thing about next season is Tom is setting up Greg to be the Gregwhiler, his personal attack dog. Since Greg sold his soul to the devil, by episode three of season four I fully expect Greg to be in charge of Tom’s secret 'Operation Cerberus".

Shiv in that dress, tho… :+1: