Succession on HBO

Yes. Remember Shiv left her own career because the lure of Waystar Royco was just too powerful. Though Kendall is actually interested in running the company at least. I think Roman kind of started to enjoy it as well. At this point it’s about power. Sure the kids could fuck off, but they want to run the family business.

Yes, it’s the loss of privilege and deference that worries the kids. Without their positions in the company, they become Connor-like. Sure, still rich but only receiving the deference that they can purchase outright.

They could also pool their billions and start (or purchase) their own new venture but that option clearly doesn’t interest them and may even frighten them.

And I feel like on some level Logan wants his kids to run the businesses. But he wants them to be worthy and capable of running a multi-billion dollar business. He’s not going to just hand it over like an old car he’s sick of driving around, only to have it stolen from his kids because they aren’t smart, ruthless, competent, or sober enough to keep it.

I liked that Gerri acknowledged the responsibility to the shareholders. As much as Shiv, Roman and Kendall want to run the company and think they’re capable, perhaps an outsider is better at it. Or perhaps selling it will do better for the shareholders.

Gerri’s position is an interesting one. Unlike the kids, she has expertise and institutional knowledge, both very useful regardless of ownership.

Kendall might be an exception, might, but Shiv and Roman realize that they don’t stack up in a more meritorious environment (though Roman will hope that he can ingratiate himself with Mattson).

I’m unclear as to why Gerri was invited to the wedding. For that matter, why was Logan? Who invites their ex to their next wedding?

Best line was Tom warning Greg not to include Roman in the Luxembourg royal succession, because he’d invade France.

Ingratiation seems to be the only business skill that Roman possesses. Greg too. They should take their billions and count themselves lucky they don’t have to work for a living.

Not sure about Logan but perhaps over the years she developed a friendship with Logan’s first wife? And as we saw, a bunch of execs were there mostly to conduct business separate from the wedding.

That’s the thing; Greg doesn’t have billions. I don’t think he even has millions. He was, apparently, counting on inheriting from his grandfather but was recently told that his inheritance is going to Greenpeace instead. He’s in a weird place of trying to keep up appearances in a crowd much wealthier than he is.

Logan seems obvious. The new husband wanted to curry favor to get Logan to invest in some hairbrained scheme.

Gerri and Karl and Frank, I have no idea. Maybe Caroline developed some friendship with them? Though none of them seemed to be at the wedding table itself. Perhaps Logan brought them as a side office HQ.

That’s certainly what I would do but I’ve seen how important power and prestige is to some among us.

Yeah, it was the onion that likely pushed for Logan to be at the wedding. He was totally fanboying and eager to talk with Logan about some scheme.

And I agree the higher-ups were there to help Logan run the company remotely, especially necessary since they were in delicate negotiations with gojo.

Caroline’s new hubby was also probably Logan’s route to getting Caroline to rewrite her will and undercut the kids.

So much salacious stuff happened in this episode that Shiv’s and Roman’s apoplexy over the prospects of a new sibling has been largely overlooked. I thought their panic was hilarious.

Logan was at the wedding, because Carolyn’s new husband wanted him to be there. Remember that he was disappointed, wanting to delay the wedding until Logan returned.

Also, Logan is largely responsible for Caroline’s finances. When he mentioned the extra 5 billion, it’s not difficult to imagine him agreeing that one of those 5 billion would be Caroline’s, but only if she signs this new agreement NOW.

Geri was there because Logan wanted her to be there. Logan travels with a retinue and this time it included his CEO.

Karl and Frank were not invited. They flew in only when Logan decided to work his own deal with Mattson.

I don’t think that is what happened. I think the $5 billion was the premium paid to Logan specifically, this being Logan’s price for his giving up full control, TONIGHT. So Logan would get (assuming a full cash buyout, no equity/debt conversions) not just the total value of his shares, but an additional $5 billion.

This sort of sweetener is not uncommon and may be a side agreement between Logan and Mattson. This is also where Logan got the money to squeeze Caroline, I think. Her husband wants to be in the House of Commons, IIRC, a billion will go a long way to making that a reality.

Remember Karl and Frank went back to “the office” to work out the deal. When Roman and Shiv realized Karl and Frank were no where around, they had Roman call Frank and realized they were ‘in the office’. They were not there before hand.

House of Lords, and a billion is not needed. I think the current rate is a couple of hundred thousand to Boris the Bung, and you’re in.

Darkest moment indeed was Roman dismissing the waiters death as been an explanation as to why it was hard to get a drink at Shiv’s wedding.

However, he did seem to assess correctly that it wasn’t really his fault per se, that he couldn’t rescue the kid who’d caused the accident.

I really did consider that that was a setup at the time. It wasn’t beyond possibility that Logan openly got the waiter fired, set him up to sell drugs, got him to cause the accident, and faked his death (and investigation afterwards), to control his son.

After all, I thought that Logan had told the president to lock Kendall out of the takeover in Season 1 by creating a terrorist incident to strand him out in the middle of nowhere while seeking votes.

I didn’t read it as that. I felt it was Roman clumsily trying to make his brother feel a bit better, in classic super awkward Roman fashion - honestly, I can imagine saying something like that to my brother (who hasn’t been involved in any deaths, for the record). There’s jokes you make in family that you wouldn’t say to anyone else.

Absolutely, It was Roman saying something classically Roman in order to try and make Kendall laugh. Imagine if he’d tried to be “touchy-feely”