Suggestion: Additional Member Status of 'Deceased'

“Dismembered”

I like it. Specifically the “Emeritus” title.

It would give a new twist to Zombie threads.

How about “Member Eternal”?

That nickname is already taken. Somewhere, I’m sure.

How about another additional status:

One Foot in the Grave

Do I ge to decide who is dead?

I think it’s a great idea.

Talk about zombies… :smiley:

Seems like we have a consensus. The motion has carried. Let’s do it.

I think I prefer in memorium to “deceased”, but I think it’s a great idea.

That’s usually an “elder statesmen” type term, IMHO. Retired, not experied, y’know?

“Really Emeritus”?

With dead as “Other foot in the grave”?

:smiley:

Eternal Flame

Over the Rainbow

I totally oppose using “Emeritus”; this does not mean “dead”, it has never meant “dead”. I would be in favor of “deceased.”

The spirit of the Dope is the desire for factual information, even if it’s painful or unpleasant. The SDMB is not a culture where people pussy-foot around or sugar-coat the truth - “deceased” is a perfectly fine, factual, concise way of expressing that someone is no longer alive. We don’t need flowery euphemisms.

And, I second the idea. I want “deceased” as my title when I’m gone!

Honestly with no offense intended, I think it is a terrible idea. I don’t like the idea of changing someone’s profile info without their permission. It reminds me a bit of Mormons baptizing dead people.

I don’t have a problem with a living poster requesting it. Or permission from the next of kin, but without that, it is not appropriate.

(bolding mine)

I’m fairly certain that I’m the embarrassed ‘noob’, if LSLGuy is referring to my post (#21) in this thread. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=473282
I think that’s a great idea! :cool:
I certainly would have noticed and appreciated it.
(Thanks LSLGuy for trying to save me further embarrassment.)

“Morbid”?
I totally disagree. In what way is it morbid? :dubious:

I concur!

Agreed! All those in favor?

I don’t see how a living poster would request it, unless he was about to kill himself. However, you could have an opt-in or opt-out provision before you died.