Suggestion: Additional Member Status of 'Deceased'

Having been active on the Dope now for 7 years I’m noticing quite a few posters have died. A search for some old threads or posts of mine often includes somebody gone but not forgotten.

We recently had somebody awaken a multi-year old zombie thread with significant contributions by now-deceased posters; he was embarassed to learn he’d tried to restart a conversation with a dead man.

With the recent changes to a more zombie-tolerant moderating stance now the front page often contains threads with posts by the now-deceased.

I’m going to suggest that the staff add a new membership status of “Deceased” and set a former member/guest’s status to that status when appropriate.

It just seems respectful. A bit of a tribute. We know you’re gone, but you and your words are never forgotten.
Comments?

How morbid.

Or add ‘emeritus’ or something to their title.

And no it isn’t morbid, it lets us remember they are dead.

Pining for the fjords.

What’s wrong with “banned”?

Just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion.

I like this idea.

He/she is with Jesus, would probably not be the way to go though.

:0)

I like this idea.

I think it’s a good idea too, even though there would be some deceased members that the rest of the community doesn’t realise have died.

I don’t think it’s morbid; it seems like a respectful idea to me.

i think this is a good idea.

after being caught up in reading a few zombie threads i tried starting to pay attention to dates. in the times that i didn’t, then i knew it was a zombie either by noticing postings by people no longer living or those with a BANNED membership status.

a “Deceased” would eliminate some new people or people who frequents other board areas from replying to a silent keyboarder.

Which makes sense for people you knew. You have good memories that override the sad feeling. But when it’s someone you didn’t know, you now just get hit with a sad feeling for no reason. Or at least, I do.

But, hey, I’m okay with figuring out how to deal with it myself if everyone else wants it. It’s not the first time I’ve created a script to “fix” something about the boards, and it probably won’t be the last.

Agree.

It would be easier for the mods not to have to do a new title. Why not just modify a current one? Make it BANNED FROM EARTH.

I think this is a good idea.

That would be stating an eschatological belief that most of us would not share :smiley:

I think the Something Awful forums did this with custom titles, and someone immediately hijacked the account of a user who died in a motorcycle accident and spammed the forums with “HOW DO I RODE BIKE” everywhere.

Retired With Extreme Prejudice
On Hiatus(many television shows go “on hiatus”, never to return)
Moot
Zombie-In-Training
Ex-Member
Guinness Book Of World Records Winner-Holding Breath

How will deaths be ascertained? I should imagine many Dopers simply fade away and it’s anybody’s guess whether they’re dead or not.

We do have an “in memorium” sticky. I imagine any deaths verified enough to go there could warrant such a title.