Summer time for grillin and Chillin

It’s summertime and time to grill and chill. So with that in mind let’s share our best outdoor cooking hints and recipes.
Here is some recipes from the grill (and backyard) of Rick
Appetizer
Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT)
Main Course
Rick’s Bassackward smoked steak
Veggie
Grilled corn on the cob
Zert
Barbecued peaches
Drink
Mango Peach Margaritas

Sound good? Let’s get started

Mango Peach Margaritas
In a blender combine the following:
1/3 cup Peach schnapps or peach brandy
2/3 cup gold tequila
1-1/3 cups Mango Margarita mixer (I use La Paz)
Fill with ice and blend
Serves 4
Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT)
Jalapenos
Cream cheese
Cooked Shrimp or Little Smokies
Bacon, each strip cut in half.
Toothpicks
Get yourself a mess of Jalapeno peppers as large as you can find.
Split them lengthwise, and clean out the seeds and membrane.* The heat in the pepper is in the seeds and membrane, so if you want them mild, take as much of the white membrane out as you can. If you want them spicy leave some in.
Fill the cavity with cream cheese
Top with either a Little Smokey or a cooked shrimp
Wrap in a half slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick
Cook on the grill until the bacon is done, 20-30 minutes at a low-medium temp
*If you are sensitive, wear gloves and make damn sure you wash your hands with a strong detergent before you either rub your eyes or go use the bathroom or you might look like :eek:

Rick’s Bassackward smoked steak
Conventional wisdom is that steaks should be seared at a high temp to seal the juices in and then cooked at a lower temp to finish them. I got to wondering what would happen if I turned that around.
I’ll tell you what happened, a culinary masterpiece that’s what.
You will need the following
2 big handfuls of Hickory wood chips soaked in water for at least 1 hour
A very thick cut steak. I have used Spencer’s, Rib eyes, and New York’s for this. the most important part is you want a thick steak 1.5" minimum. 2" would be better, 3" would be superb.
Seasoning For this recipe I am partial to Durkee’s Steak Dust. YMMV
A probe type thermometer or an instant read digital
Lots of time (these are going to take an hour to 1.5 hours depending on the thickness of your steaks.
Anyway set your grill up for indirect heat, you want the temp to be in the 200-250 range NO MORE!
When you have the grill temp stabilized, pull the steak out of the fridge and coat with steak dust on all sides. Don’t forget the edges, that’s a lot of real estate (steak estate?) on a 2"+ steak.
Throw a handful of wet wood chips on the fire, and put the steak on
After about 20-30 minutes, turn the steak and add the rest of the wood chips.
If you like your steak rare, cook until the internal temp is 115F. Medium rare 123 Medium 127. Remove the probe type thermometer before going to the next stepo or you will melt the connecting wires.
Remove the steak from the grill. Place on a plate and cover in foil.
Now at this point the steak may or may not look very good, it may be kinda grey, or maybe a reddish brown in color, don’t worry we are going to fix that next.
Bring the grill up to full atomic power.* You want direct heat and a bunch of it. As hot as you can get that sucker. If you are using charcoal add a bunch. You guys with gas, turn the knobs :smiley: You want 500+, 600+ is even better.
When you have got the grill wide open and as hot as it will go return the steak to the grill laying it diagonally across the grates. After 1 minute rotate the steak 90 degrees.
After 1 more minute flip the steak over. After one more minute rotate the steak 90 degrees again.
Allow the steak to rest for a couple of minutes before carving.
*You might want to grill your corn as the grill heats up

Grilled corn on the cob
I got this idea from Cook’s magazine.
remove the outer husks from the ears of fresh corn, but leave the very last layer on the corn. Peel them back and remove the silk. Fold the innermost layer of husk back in place. Grill over direct heat turning to prevent burning. Probably no more than 5 minutes turning several times. If you can get just a few kernels to start to change color, it is just right.
Remove from the heat and cover with foil until ready to serve.

Barbecued peaches
Again this is something I was just screwing around with one day, and this is the result.
1 large peach for every two people. You want the big sweet freestone peaches. Yellow ones work better than white.
White sugar
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Peach schnapps or peach brandy
Vanilla ice cream
Cinnamon sticks for garnish

Before dinner, slice the peaches in half by starting at the stem end, and running the knife down along the seam and around. Remove the pit. If necessary use a spoon to remove the small woody bits left in the pit area.
Set the peaches cut side up on a plate and
sprinkle each peach half with
Cinnamon (lots)
Nutmeg (to taste, I don’t use a lot)
White sugar (Coated, but not piled up)
Cover and set aside

When the steaks are about ready to throw back on the fire, heap a mound of brown sugar in the center of each peach. Add a splash of the schnapps or brandy.
After the steaks come off and when the grill has cooled down to about 350 place the peaches on the grill. Turn off the gas, or shut the vents if charcoal. Allow the peaches to cook in the residual heat for 20 minutes or so.
Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a bowl. Carefully lift a peach half into the bowl (don’t spill the peachy juicy goodness!) and stick a Cinnamon stick in it for a garnish.

You will be crowned king of the grill if you prepare this meal.
So what do you all got?

All that previewing and I forgot to add that you can add mango or peach chunks to the 'ritas if you want to take them to the next level.

That menu sounds faaabulous, dahling. Too much work for this slacker, but if you have a spare weekend, we need to talk!

My recipe for oudoor fun this summer:
Dress.

Get in car.

Go to friends house for cookout.

You could add a bunch of peaches to the blender for that margarita and make it like a margarita smoothie.

My chicken/steak/shrimp fajitas with sweet onions and peppers:

Chicken: slice boneless, skinless breasts into strips. In a blender, puree one whole very ripe mango, a couple garlic cloves, a jalapeno, fresh lime juice, lots of salt an pepper, olive oil. Use as a marianade for the chix, and reserve some for sauce.

Steak: flank steak, marianated for a long time in lime juice, red wine vinegar, generous amounts of chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper, white pepper. Grilled whole, and cut into strips

Shrimp: lime juice, oil, salt & pepper. Grilled on skewers.

Vegetables: green pepper and onion sliced into strips. Put in a pan that you can put on the grill. Drop in some butter and sugar, cover with foil, and grill until soft and sweet.

Grill tortillas until they start to puff up, but keep 'em moving so they don’t burn. Serve with homemade mango salsa.

I’m also a fan of kofta. . .basically, afghani style lamb burgers, served on a pita with tzatziki sauce made with lemon juice, fresh mint, and cucumbers.

Last week, I made grilled portabello mushrooms with grilled fennel and grilled onions. The fennel was marianated in a citrus viniagrette and grilled until just starting to char. You can eat it raw anyway. Stuff it all in a pita and chow down.

Rick, I am not one to steal another man’s thunder so I ask that you share your Spatchcock chiken and brine soak with these good people. It is a staple in our house since you shared it with us.
Simply put, the best grilled chicken I have ever had and I LOVES me some chicken!!
If you don’t have it handy, let me know. It is never far away around here.

Nic

Yes, the entire shebang takes a few hours, but most of that time is spent sipping 'ritas and chilling.
jali Why bother to dress? come on over.
Trunk I guess I know what I’m gonna cook thiis weekend. Thanks!
Nic Your wish, my command etc.
For those of you that have never heard the term spatchcock means to butterfly, or remove the backbone of the chicken. Here is where I learned about it. I have one minor bone to pick with the author of that page. Brining the bird first takes it to the next level
Brining means soaking the bird in a salt/sugar solutition to force mositure into the meat. The result is the best chicken ever.
Here is how I do it.
Basic Brine
I cup of Kosher salt.
1/2 cup brown sugar.
1 gallon of liquid. This can be water, or part water and part juice such as orange.
Heat one quart of water to a boil. Disolve the salt and sugar. Add the balance of the liquid cold. Use ice cubes as needed to bring the temp down.
Put the mixture into the fridge to let it cool.
Spatchcock the bird per the instructions in the link. If this becomes popular at your house, you can save the backbones to make chicken broth.
Put the bird into a zip lock bag, and add the brine. Squeese the air out and seal.
Stick into the fridge for 1-18 hours.
Remove rinse and season.
Place on a direct grill medium heat for 30 minutes, turn and cook another 30 minutes.
Pull off the fire and rest for about 10 minutes and enjoy.
Here is Alton Brown’s brine for a turkey, that is flat awsome. You can use the same brine for chicken.
Trust me, once you brine you will never go back.

Hubby’s website has some good BBQ ideas www.cheffrankonline.com . I think you have to get into the archives and find June 2006 - he writes a newsletter for the local wineshop, and he was getting so many phone calls, we had to change the number and put up the website. Hope you have fun there.

Olive

But are you gellin’?

:: ducks and runs. fast. ::

Sounds good.
::: takes link, clicks on June 2006:::

At least it offered me a printer friendly version of a 404. More than I get elsewhere.