Sunday Morning Puzzle # 31

WarninG:
Scary complex directions ahead.

This week’s puzzle is a list of appropriate theme movies. The movie titles have been broken into pieces, and the pieces then alphabetized.

Example:

GONEWITHTHEWIND
GO NEW IT HTHE WI ND
GO HTHE IT ND NEW WI

The challenge is to discover the 17 movie titles below. Once you have found these 17 titles, an 18th film title may be located by reading down the 17 special letters. The number that follows each encoded title designates the special letter for that title. (For instance, when you have found movie title #1, the special letter will be the 7th letter of that title.)

TRICK: If you can make neither head nor tail of the movie titles, this is probably because a trick has been played. Certain letters were removed from the titles prior to their being broken. These letters have been placed together in the letter sets at the end of the puzzle. The letters themselves are in their correct order within each set, however the banished letter sets are alphabetized and therefore out of order. You must determine which letter set goes with which movie title. The letters were not simply randomly removed from the titles to form the sets, there is method.

TREAT: The astute solver will come upon some extra pieces of letters that are not part of the movie titles. These yummy “treat” pieces together make up a quote/blurb from the movie poster for that 18th movie. Chomp! Chomp!

Can you find the 17 scrambled movie titles, the 18th bonus title, and the movie poster quote. . . without going batty?

1. ANI HE MA TH TO (7)
  2. DR EDE EHOU ING HIL LAI LDN TEAH (31)
  3. ADA HO NAL PPI (8)
  4. HO LOO PPE REH RI USHA (10)
  5. ERAT HAM OSF PYR UN (8)
  6. ABLH GR HBO IBE MIN (6)
  7. EIEE KE LF MA NST RAN THO YAN (24)
  8. AW DT HEA (7)
  9. HAN HEY PER TOH (2)
  10. AER DO EWO LON ME REC RIC (14)
  11. IL LIN ODZ OMI ONS TER (4)
  12. AO AR NGT NIV UL (12)
  13. AIS AV CUL ERO HR OE RA (19)
  14. ATY EC HLA II OJ TCR (4)
  15. BI CHN HO OP OUA RA (12)
  16. ACA EAT GOO HR LI OHL URR (6)
  17. EE MA TAR VE (4)
    Letter Sets: AA, ANANWFINLN, CGML, CNSTPYWHDDTS, CLOFSS, DAHSRNFMTEGE, DNOFTEDD, FNMSTEWN, GAKGOFMS, NUTEVE, PMOFTEOA, PTSY, TEAEDRPS, TEBRWHPT, TECEFMTEBKLN, TEHETTDDBD, TERR

Movie no. 1 appears to have an extraneous article. Everything else is tickety-BOO!

Peregrine:

• Your puzzling skills are impressive. I didn’t know if anyone would get this week’s puzzle. In fact, I was already preparing some hints. But I can see no hints are needed for the outstanding puzzle minds at the SDMB!

• #1 is one of my all-time favorite films. I should have known better.

• The only error I noticed after posting the puzzle was that letter set #4 and letter set #5 should be switched to maintain the alphabetical order of the sets, but that shouldn’t effect the puzzle any.

Ah, Biotop, you’re back doing that voodoo that you do so well. My question is - why do they always want to chew on us?

(Favorite quote from #8:
Fran: What are they doing? Why do they come here?
Steven: Instinct, memory. This was an important place in their lives.)

Another fab brain-wrecker from the master! I’m just impressed that one of the three -gry words was in the poster’s blurb…