Sunday Morning Puzzle # 64---The Spies Return

It’s been a long time since you’ve had to deal with any spy problems…but all good things must come to an end. Early this morning a knock on the door brings Special Agent Jones of the CIA to your door. Whenever there is a tough code to crack, Agent Jones will always seek YOU out. You’re the best.

Jones tells you that for the past several weeks the CIA has been monitoring the activities of a certain suspicious character named Smithers. They suspect Smithers is on the payroll of some evildoers abroad. Yesterday agents spied Smithers and another man exchanging envelopes on a busy street. They swooped in and nabbed Smithers, but unfortunately the other unknown individual gave them the slip.

"Smithers isn’t talking, and we can’t make head nor tail of the message he received. My gut tells me something bad is about to occur. There are several activities going on this week that might be of interest to our spies. First of all, there is a peace conference on Friday at the Fredonian Embassy. Many people have a financial interest in the continuing war in Fredonia. The situation at the meeting will be tense, but the Fredonian ambassador is hoping for progress. Another event happens Saturday morning. That day the Prussian Secretary of the Exterior is making a very important speech at the White House. Some would not have her speak about the alleged GMO crisis. Lastly, on Sunday, the controversial “Chess Not Politics” International Computer Tournament is being held at the DC Hilton. There have been threats against both the U.S. and Liberian computers.

"We don’t know which event is targeted. Perhaps the spies’ plot is something else entirely.

“We can hold Smithers for only so long without evidence. I’m sure that if we can’t decipher this message soon there will be BIG trouble. Our experts have been unable to find any traditional cryptogram or anagram techniques at work here. We need YOU!”
Can you decode the message in time to foil the spies?

RDOHF WREMMU ESTDDISR HUPOT THHEUPE ACNECFO MEHUN. LQG NFLERENSCEAT QALQLC OGSTS+TQHI SQQ. ERNSQXHG SFRWIDE ARYISBVA VLNE NTHINSE SEDQ AXY+ASR RHIVQE AWTEIGG WBVHESQW. QFMSIAP HAQTO CFDLO CK+YOMMUA RETCOBSET IHELORO RKOAUT+Y POPUWIL ADMCRRP. AQUKSY LANPRET TQE NDZUTO IBEAJKOG GERRASTT HEQPARYKNE NTZIRQ. QVZSN XQTDOQO R+YOWURVT WNOPARZ TNPERSSWIL LBCEFANK QWNPC. AIDQSAET EDDEALI SIVER YPBEDO PLE+OQNEWRILLB RISSNGA BAQ OXEOFPOG RITSON DSBRSQGR. RQPEW EDCAHOCRO LAITESFQORT PHEAMD BAYSESAD WZOR+T AIDYZ. SOQ SHREOTHE ERWILOLCA RQRYEZXP REZ. FVEBIOKA LOSDINF XGROVSEST OHIESWE IFE+BBEMSU MREANI DOCILE AROKUTE BEAFOQR SXEMMIEQ. CTSQQH CEAC LALHET LALBRS QREAK SQLONO AHSE CAARNA.

Jones stops by early this snowy Monday morning with more code.

“An informant has just passed the CIA this latest note claiming she got it from a customer after a wild Sunday night in a local brothel. She said she became suspicious last night when the John started talking in his sleep about how great it was to be a spy. Unfortunately, the informant was not able to get the real name of our possible spy. She did give a description, and it matches that of the man seen with Smithers on Saturday. After the suspect had left the brothel, the woman found a strange note on the floor and gave it to the CIA. It must have fallen from the man’s pocket.”

Jones looks at you with concern written all over his face.

“Here’s the note,” sighs Jones. “I pray it helps.”

TQKIRN CIASTS UMVEYQO UKKNLO EWTHI ERYHSAV ECQANP CVLESQ. JFESX TUNREDJSM IFTHEOERS=N LOPERO BLSEM=YSO UWWXI NOLSW. EQCJL LELHEA VESTOBQE OUNRLOCO KROJUTIN STYLE ESNRY. JZWHKFH AQD=WEJAL SMONZE ZEDYW ORUTH OBBUK YAFHEZA ROTSHHA QMZRBZO. RARKWL PREDOB OYXOAF CQRHO KCOLLAT ESAANWD PLUTABRS OYQLAB. PUOXSGU ENQICIPIN UTHY ZEM=OONCET HIPSIXS DONKEYS OGUMUJSTL XEAUVETH QYZPKJX. HXAN YEBHOXATT FHXEBAS EORFAT HEWLINNCO YFRW. QKCQORRBSCX PQLNME FMOKRIA CLONTHUE SDDQAYAT ONION EVINTRH LEMORRNI NBG=OBN ESOJFO CURPEAR TXNERSWX PFHDOVLBJEX. YOFZCCQ ILLPPY ICOKITH UPFTQH ZEZRE=AF OTECRT CHATQA WLLQYO PHQZOQW. CMMRG CUNETE DTVODOISM BEAWTTHMEP AHRR EKBGYTH TVWHE. ZMOZKWL EFAREZDO MCNIA NFEMBOA SQZSYATE IKGHHTO NFWRIDQA LYY ACFQHQY.

Relax, Jones–this one’s a snap! You can catch one bird at the Lincoln Memorial tomorrow morning at nine (the one carelessly forgetting his box of chocolates). It would be best, I think, not to apprehend the person picking up the chocolates. You’ll be able to get him or her and at least one other partner at the Peace Conference. Watch out for the roses, though–they’ve got more than thorns!

The call comes in from Agent Jones…and the news is good:

"Per your instructions, we picked up the man who picked up the chocolates. After a trip to the station he started singing like a bird. The defeated fellow soon led us to all the other spies. We also destroyed the candy and the special roses, so maybe love will prevail this holiday after all.

“We are always amazed at how well you (Peregrine) solve these codes! This one seemed impossible from start to finish…but you came through again. Good work! And since I know you will once again turn down the large check from the government for your services, I do want to make sure you get a huge pat on the back. Your country and all peace-loving Fredonians thank you. Glad you are on our side.”