Super Bowl 51 Commercials thread

Wait, really? Advertising is designed to sell us stuff? I had no idea. What other insights do you have for us?

Is this a pastiche?

Dontcha just hate the ones that you can’t open?

This is for the commercial enjoying, though…so doing what you’re doing here is threadshitting. If a thread doesn’t interest you, you don’t have to post in it. Posting in it just to give your anti-thoughts to the idea doesn’t count either. Please don’t do this.

I chuckled at the exchange with his kid
KID: Isn’t that illegal?
Dad: Who are you, the cops?

The only one I specifically remembered as being good was the Ford ad that when you’re stuck, you just have to keep moving forward. But now that others have reminded me of them, I also enjoyed the Melissa McCarthy eco-warrior and the sexy Mr. Clean. And I appreciated the 84 Lumber commercial about the Real American (seriously, did people miss what she was doing with the scraps she was finding?).

Due to a mistake with the replay/fast forward feature on the remote, we missed a chunk of commercials. Was there an avocado one this year? Those are usually good.

Cool! Yeah, I couldn’t access the site until 6 AM this morning.

The only one that really stood out for me was the Melissa McCarthy one, but I also pretty much love her in everything she does.

Another poor year for Super Bowl ads. I’ve almost gotten to the point I don’t bother to watch them any more. Kinda like how it was in the '80s, before everything got all super-heated in attempts to keep up with the McDonald’s of the world. Who remembers the XEROX monk? :slight_smile:

The Snickers live commercial was a giant waste of money. It seemed rushed and I didn’t even realize it was happening until the tag saying it was a live commercial came up. They had been hyping it for weeks now.

Anyone who missed them, here’s a Reddit post that tries to get all of them. Note that they sometimes link longer versions than actually shown.

There was at least one advertiser who tried to buy a spot and was told their ad was too political.

I don’t think that’s quite right. The 84 Lumber spot in full was considered by Fox to be “too political.” The result was the cut-down version shown, which ended before the controversial part (showing a wall, with a door in it). Viewers were referred to the 84 Lumber website to see the end of the story.

There was another company that had the $$ for a spot, but was told no. Cite: personal communication. I’ll see if I’m allowed to give details…