super bowl t-shirts

what happens to all the t-shirts and hats that they printed up that said the giant’s won the super bowl.

I can’t recall where I read this, but I saw a brief article this week addressing just this question. I’ll follow up with a link if I can track one down.

Anyway, the article said that the “Super Bowl Champion Giants” clothing gets donated to charities, and most of it will wind up in third-world countries. A representative of the league was quoted as saying something to the effect of “It just doesn’t seem right to throw away the stuff, when it can surely be put to use somewhere in the world.”

There was another quote from somebody who remembered seeing kids wandering around with “World Champion Buffalo Bills” T-shirts in some visit to the African bush recently. :slight_smile:

I think it also said that they keep the runs of stuff as small as possible until the game is over. As soon as the game’s over, they start cranking them out and actually manage to have 'em in stores Monday morning.

You remember exactly correct, brad, and the place you read it was Parade magazine, just so people can have a cite for it. I went to their Web site, but apparently they don’t put the articles online for people to read. Ah well. But your examples are spot on to what they had in the magazine, including the anecdote about the person who saw “World Champion Buffalo Bills” on an African kid in a TV special.

Thanks for the verification, Hokie. I was thinking that I’d seen it on the web somewhere, and spent some time last night trying to track down the article (to no avail). Now that I think about it, I may have perused a Parade last week…

I think Parade borrowed the article from last week’s Sports Illustrated. This was the weekly “burning question.”

This year’s clothing is from the conference championship games is being donated to “a Fort Lauderdale group called HANDY (Helping Abused Neglected Dependent Youth).”

“As for the Super Bowl loser’s pre-produced gear, the NFL will route it to World Vision, a global relief agency.”

I saved an AP photo that ran not long ago of someone in the Middle East throwing a rock while wearing a shirt that said Buffalo Bills Super Bowl XXV Champs.