Super TB patient transferred Why?

On the news this AM I hard that the guy with the case of Super TB had been transferred from Atlanta to Denver.
Why would they do this? Atlanta has first class hospitals, and the CDC is nearby. I don’t understand why they would consider transferring this guy half way across the country. They also said he was an Atlanta resident.

National Jewish Medical and Research Center is considered one of the top hospitals in the country for respiratory issues.

I hear they’re moving him in with the plague-infested monkeys here.

Has this guy been pitted yet by the way?

I’m sure tongue-in-cheek but this morning’s radio report said he was in a negative-pressure isolation room that utilized ultraviolet light to sanitize the outgoing air. Air leaving the room’s ventilation system is considered ‘clean’.

And his father-in-law is the CDC’s top TB researcher!

Wouldn’t it be better for all of us if he croaked now w/out contacting anyone post anti-biotic treatment? Do we really need him walking around later with the super super elite germs that survived the original super strain of TB he currently has? Just curious. :slight_smile:

Do we need to start heading to Boulder?

I don’t know if it was just folklore, of if there is something to it, but prior to antibiotics, high altitude, dry climates were thought to be beneficial to TB patients. My Mom lived in Colorado Springs, CO in the 20’s and 30’s, and often mentioned the sanatoriums.

Personally, I’ve just started exhaling only.

It’s the radon.

An article a few days ago said that the treatment regimen in Denver might take eighteen months, including possibly the surgical removal of the infected part of his lung.

And ironically, he’s a personal injury lawyer, so if he did infect any of his fellow passengers, he’ll see one of his colleagues in court when they sue him for negligence.

Not till Trashcan Man and the Walkin’ Dude show up.

Then, I’m going to Vegas. I’m too evil for Boulder. :wink:

Cheers,
G

Kinda makes you wonder…

He knew he had it. He knew that getting on the plane would expose others to it, and it might conceivably kill them. He did it anyway, knowingly and deliberately.

Why hasn’t he been charged with attempted murder?

Nah. This bug ain’t no tube neck. The survival rate is much too high, and it kills its victims in decades, not days.

Aaaaaand 18 hours later, I get the Captain Tripps reference. Yuh, M-O-O-N, that spells senile.

The crazy thing is that he has never showed any outward TB symptoms.

They found it when doing an unrelated chest x-ray in January.

Radon? I thought that was a cause of lung cancer, not a cure for TB?

TB is a weird disease. Most people think of it as a “lung only” disease, but it can affect other organs as well.

Lots of diagnoses get picked up incidentally like that.

More often, tests turn up something that looks odd, but is really not a problem. But it often takes more tests (and more $$) to determine that.

I’m a little behind on the new regarding the TB guy. Why is his infection being spoken of like a combination of SARS, mad cow, AIDS, and ebola … except worse? Is this not essentially the same tuberculosis that humanity survived 75-150 years ago? Was tuberculosis more or less an “extinct” disease (like smallpox)? And if so, how did this guy contract it?

I’m looking for some background links myself, but I’d be interested in any detailed links you all know of.

Yes it is similar to what we went though those years ago, but it is a drug resistant strain. When the bug has mutated to the point that drugs no longer kill it, this is considered a bad thing.

AFAIK no one is quite sure just how he got it.