Superbowl snacks

Sorry to hear the flavor didn’t carry through. I was doing mine for the crunch (like a lot of fried chicken options use corn flakes) and found that worked well, as apparently yours did.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the cooking medium leeched out a lot of the flavor, and now kind of wonder what it would be like if you made your dish and then did something neutral (like mozz sticks) in the leftover oil.

I still think you’ve got a lot of options open with your thought. In the past, I’ve done oven baked quasi-fried chicken, where you soak the chicken in yogurt or buttermilk, do a dry-wet-dry dredge and crumbs, and then bake on a wire rack after a strong spray of cooking oil (Misto or commercial product) for better crisping.

With those options, I bet there would be a lot less leeching, and your Dorito flavor may come through more strongly. Although I’d probably go with tenderloins, nuggets, or thin sliced options to increase the surface to meat ratio to max those flavors.

This. Plus, not only is popcorn dirt cheap but it’s a sort of blank canvas, as one is free to add all sorts of different flavors e.g. parmesan cheese, Old Bay seasoning, salt & pepper, cayenne, caramel, etc.