Superbowl snacks

I love football. Also the Superbowl.
Decided at the grocery store to get some snacks.
I got celery with ranch dip, and tostidos with salsa con queso.
I don’t drink pop, so will probably go with Gatorade.
You?

Beer.

And nachos.

We’re having hot sandwiches, chips and dips, with pop to wash it all down. It’s just me, wife, son and daughter.

It’s just my wife and me at home. We want to watch the game, and not socialize with anyone else.

Chips and dip. Maybe take home a pizza.

And I recently learned of a healthy snack option that we’ll try: a bag of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, laid out on a cookie sheet, sprayed lightly with some oil, sprinkle some seasoning on it, then roast them in the oven. I’m told they are great. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

Not a fan of football, but I understand the concept of assembling snacks for sporting events. The celery is a good idea, but I’d make celery sticks filled with Boursin herb & garlic Gournay cheese, and maybe a big bowl of tortilla chips with 7-layer Mexican dip. Maybe some garlic- or pimento-stuffed olives and slices of Danish Fontina with crackers.

Actually, that inspires me to assemble just such a snack. While everyone else is watching the Super Bowl, I’ll be binge-watching the last four episodes of The Last of Us!

Not a sports person, but a couple of options that are super easy, and oft forgotten.

Buttered popcorn. I cannot believe how many people just settle for premade, purchased popcorn when you can make it with a tablespoon of oil, a paper bag, and popcorn. Add salt and butter to taste. I mean, it’s heaven, cheap and easy.

Easy crockpot (or pressure cooker) pulled pork sliders. Take good (no HFCS) BBQ sauce of choice, add a beer, and pork butt (sirloin will do as well) and toss all in a slow or pressure cooker until falling apart tender, shred and stir until fully coated, and serve on potato or sweet Hawaiian rolls. Pickled or fresh sliced onions can add a bit of vinegar or sharpness as well.

And Alton Brown’s leftover cheese spread:

1. 1 pound left-over cheese, at room temperature.
  2. 1/4 cup dry white wine.
  3. 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened.
  4. 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves.
  5. 1 small clove garlic.

(In my case, extra garlic and I go with chives or green onions rather than parsley)

Blend in food processor (make sure cheese and butter is room temp) for around 2 minutes or until smooth, then serve with crusty bread, pitas, crackers, fresh veggies, you name it.

A friend of mine does the laziest cooked football snacks on the face of the earth. He just deep fries batches of stuffed pasta - ravioli, agnolotti. He serves them up with plates of sliced onion, tomato and shaved parmesan. And some pasta sauces or Mexican salsas as dips. Only takes minutes for a fresh batch. You can get the Maltese snack pastizzi at just about any shopping center here too. Just an oven for them.

I made bacon-wrapped figs once and they were a hit.

This year, Inna and I are asked to provide desserts, so we’re just going to do some cheesecake bites.

I’m on wing duty for the party I’m attending (which is more about the food and halftime show than the actual game).

I’m doing three varieties:
—Traditional buffalo
—Peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime, sriracha, green onion (I do these every year, and they’re always the first to go)
—Jerk with sorghum syrup glaze

Or maybe I’ll just call Wing Pit.

I will probably have the thon mi-cuit poêlée de légumes but I’m tempted by the moulleux paleron gratin de haricots verts.

(Because I am in Montmartre.)

I make those once or twice a year and love them, but they are so damn dense that after you eat 2 or 3, you’re done snacking. Well, at least I am.

I do love me some wings, but considering the cost of the damn things these days, I don’t envy you. Which is why I linked the cheapo, easy, and fun things upthread. All of which (other than the popcorn) are great, substantial, but aren’t going to run more than 15-20 bucks. Last time I was at the store, wings (not party sections) were 4.99 lb. Ugh.

Yeah, no kidding. I did manage to find frozen party wings in 4 lb bags for $16, which is still highway robbery but better than I expected. Fortunately I like these people.

Chili, Rotel dip, dippers, maybe guacamole, cream cheese with guava paste and crackers.

Plain Lays potato chips.

That’s a pretty rare treat for me, and it’s exactly what I want.

mmm

Today I will test a cooking notion I’ve wondered about, making “Coq en Croute Doritae” to find out how using crushed nacho chips as breading for chicken will work

Speaking from experience, it depends on how fine you crush them. :slight_smile: Powder? Great dredge, but you loose the crunch. IMHO it worked best when I got it to crumbs the size of panko, a hint of crunch, but still fine enough for good coverage. Larger, and I found I got shards.

Admittedly I was using non Doritos chips, but should be similar in principle.

And using crushed chicharrón is also good, but buy a decent brand, not the super cheap ones.

Chicken wings are a great idea any time. There is a wide variety of frozen ones available around here, but I rarely buy them because they all come in large boxes that take up too much room in the freezer. You pretty much need a chest freezer to stock those things.

no mustard?:wink:

I like to try all the crazy seasonal and regional flavors that Lays brings out, but I always go back to plain or salt and vinegar.

I got the crumb size right, but overall this was a disappointment. The crunchiness was good, but the flavor somehow diminished in the cooking and they were only vaguely “Dorito-ey,” I’m sorry to report. But glad to have learned.