Sure, Voyager sucks ass sometimes. But I liked this one!!!

I watched a rerun of “Bliss” the other night. This was the first time I saw that episode. I really liked it!
This is the episode where some huge alien being, disguises itself as things other aliens really want. Then when it lures the victims in, it eats 'em. Like a pitcher plant.

The alien made Voyager’s crew think it was a worm hole to Earth. When Voyager entered, all the crew passed out and started dreaming that they were home with their families.
Would this really be such a bad thing? If you were sranded with no hope- or even with just little hope- of getting home, would you rather live reality or would you rather ba knocked out and dream of a reality that you believe is real. Not only does it seem completely real, everything is going perfect. Everything you ever wanted, every fantasy is coming true. And you think it’s all real. But it’s not. In reality, you are being slowly digested in a huge space alien.

Which would you rather choose? The true reality where you are stranded far from home and never see your family again. Or the false reality where you are reunited with your family and you live the rest of your life happy and care free! I use ‘true’ and ‘false’ loosely since anyone could argue “What is reality, anyway?”

Also, in your opinion, why do you think the other captive alien went back inside?? At first I found it odd that he had been inside it for so long and after they escaped, he was not screaming and crying like a freed slave. Then right at the end, he started heading back in. I was like, “Holy shit!”
Why do you think he went back? Did he miss the euphoric alternate reality the Pitcher Plant alien offered him? Even though he knew it was all fake, maybe the fake reality was still way better than his true reality. Maybe he was having 12 orgies a day. He may no it’s not real, but hell, as long as it seems real!!! He was convinced that Seven was not real which means the Pitcher Plant offers a pretty convincing reality.
Did he just get fooled again into going back in? I doubt this. The guy seemed pretty keen to the deceptions.
Is there some other reason he went back in? Like maybe he was just so used to being in there that he didn’t know what else to do with his life anymore. Like when criminals get out of prison after 20 years. They just don’t adapt well to freedom.

1. What was your opinion of the episode?
  2. Why do you think he went back?
  3. What would you choose if you were offered the choice of either living the the fake reality (with no memory of making the choice, and no knowledge that where you are is not real) and be slowly digested. We’ll say you’d last 20-25 years before you would die. And in your percieved reality, you would never realize your death. See, you could just be driving a car or having an orgy in your reality and all of a sudden you are dead in real life. That’s IT. The end of both realities. Your death would be painless and unpercieved. OR would you rather live your actual reality even though you may never get home.

My answers are:

1. I thought it was great! Much better than most of their episodes!

2. I think he just chose to live the alternate reality since it had so much to offer. What does not make since is: if he wanted to live the alternate reality, why did he resist the Pitcher Plant so much while he was inside it. Why was he alert to everything going on instead of lying on the floor dreaming. Maybe he didn’t know what he would miss until he was out of there. Actually… I have no idea. Maybe the writer’s just screwed up and did something stupid and I am trying to look too deeply into it.

3)Not sure! This would be a hard one for me. If I was very desperate and I had no hope of ever getting home, I would do it. But if there was just a little hope, I would stay in my reality. Because even though the fake reality lets me reunite with my family, it would still deprive my family of the joy of being reunited with me.

Your thoughts?

Sounds like a good episode. Too bad I missed it, because I’m usually up for a good ST conversation.

It was a great episode!! Sorry I spoiled it for you, I figured everyone here who cared had already seen every episode. Maybe I should have given a “Spoiler” warning…

Anyway, I was really suprised at the end. I was expecting another normal happy Voyager ending. Voyager saved the day and everyone would go their seperate ways, yada yada. Well, this guy didn’t even seem that happy. I was about to chalk it up to bad acting, since the guy was just like, “Welp, thanks a lot. See ya later…” I figured he should be a bit more excited seeing as how he’d been trapped for eight years. I was just about to bitch out loud about the poor acting, then the guy turned his ship around and headed back in. I was so shocked!! Now I am rather curious.

He went back in to continue battling the alien. Remember, he scoffed when Seven came up with a plan to escape. He wanted to stay and fight, just as he had been doing for years since his friends and family were killed by the thing. Also, IIRC, he tried to recruit the doctor to come back with him because, being a hologram, he is immune to the alien’s charms.

The reason the alien went back in seemed pretty simple to me - his life no longer had any meaning except trying to outwit the beast.

Oh… I must have been peeing or something when that happend.

C’mon, we can still debate #3. I am feeling a little bad that I am the only person in the entire world who could start a ST thread on these boards and get less 100 responses. Hell, I would settle for a dozen.

Interesting question; would I rather live in the perpetual pleasant dream, or stick to reality? Gotta go with reality (assuming that what we’re living actually is reality). I was born in reality, lived my life in it, and plan to die in it. Seems safest to stick with the plan.

Regarding question #1, for some reason, I didn’t much like this particular episode. Not sure why. Maybe the ending was too ambiguous for my taste.