Surefire way to stop a hangover.

The article “How can I avoid a holiday hangover?” missed an easy one:

Don’t drink booze in the first place …

None.

When you binge drink you get hangover. Hangover is a combination of liver breaking down ethanol into aldehyde (which is in pills for people with history of alcoholism causing to get hangover from one beer) and dehydration. hangover is simply nonefatal alcohol poisoning

Go to an Asian grocery and ask for Po Chai pills. (They aren’t going to look like what you expect, at all. Be prepared!) They are intended for overeating and digestion issues. But it just so happens, they cure hangover.

(Met a lot of skeptics. Converted them all!)

Are you serious?

Staying hydrated is pretty much the only way to minimize hangover effects.

‘Pretty much’ would seem to leave open the possibility that there ‘might’ just ‘possibly’ be other things that mitigate the effects of a hangover.

If you cannot imagine a product for digestinal issues ‘might’ posses such a side benefit, I don’t think you’re being honest.

Besides no one is asking you to believe. I was simply offering my experience to the question the OP presented.

If you don’t agree, cool. But then hey, you haven’t tried it either, now have you? So what do you care? It’s a discussion of hangover treatments not a freaking cure for cancer.

If a magic pill from China worked to cure hangovers, I’m pretty sure we’d have heard about it by now. It’s a placebo.

Anyway, I don’t really care much one way or the other.

Maybe they work like Granny’s cure for the common cold in The Beverly Hillbillies?

Read on to see how it works.

Not eating a couple days beforehand is NOT effective.

Perhaps there are different kinds of hangovers - some that happen purely on a cerebral level, i.e. giving you the mother of all headaches, and others that also affect the head but mainly involve the digestive system.

Fortunately, I haven’t had many serious encounters with the former type, but when I had, the cure that I have learned to apply to the latter did also work. I was introduced to this life-saver in the aftermath of a fraternity party in Munich where every drink just was coloured, so that nobody had an inkling of what “the blue one” or “the orange one” would contain. We only noticed it was strong, and consequently found it funny to drink ourselves through the rainbow. Next morning, my head didn’t fit through the bedroom door, and I felt absolutely sick at the same time. My friends took me to a restaurant where I was supposed to have an “extended brunch”, which I flatly refused on account of my intestines still revolting from the previous evening.

That was when one of them gave me a plate with three rolled pickled herrings, the ones with pickled cucumbers and onion, in Germany called “Rollmops”. Just looking at these sour and salty dead fish made me heave but I thought, “what the heck, it can’t get any worse” and got them down somehow. Ten minutes later, I was chewing through the brunch buffet front to end like I never had a decent meal before, I felt great, and it tasted wonderful. Even had a beer. The explanation I was given was that it’s mainly the salt contained in the “Rollmöpse”, plus the pickling acid.

I have applied this on every hangover afterwards. Never failed to work.

I always try to remember that thanks to my hangover I’m going to feel better as the day progresses. That’s a good thing.

Yeah, but around here we care if we freakin’ get it right. Anyway, here is a bit about those pills, including what’s in them, and problems with them in the past.

I keep trying to convince my wife semen straight from the tap works but she hasn’t swallowed it yet.

Yeah, but we’re interested in *realistic *scenarios. :wink: