Surprised by American food

Not beer and pizza? Cheapskates.

Yeah - you start moving day with coffee and doughnuts, and end it with pizza and beer. Is nothing sacred any more? :smiley:

Yeah, something got horribly mixed up there…doughnuts and beer??? Blech!!! :confused:

I visited a place on Michigan Avenue that sold all kinds of flavoured popcorn. I would kill for another bag of the caramel flavour.

We could do with a joint like that in England, more specifically close to me :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
But this is SDMB! Spelling perversions are not allowed!

:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had a devil of a time just typing Krispy Kreme without correcting the spelling, that’s why I had to switch to KK.

[QUOTE=Wile E]
Yeah, I had a devil of a time just typing Krispy Kreme without correcting the spelling, that’s why I had to switch to KK.
[/QUOTE]

Damned Gaudere’s law! I looked the post over to make sure I didn’t misspell anything and I misspelled Quiddity Glomfuster in the edit! :smack:

Quiddity Glomfuster!

chowder writes:

> I visited a place on Michigan Avenue . . .

The one in Chicago, or the one in various places in Michigan, or some other Michigan Avenue?

[QUOTE=Walloon]
Does “hell of a lunch” mean good or bad? Usually “hell of a” anything is bad.
[/QUOTE]

I used 'hell of a" in the good way. I guess I have not become a fully assimilated Minnesotan, because then I would have called it “a heckeva good lunch”, witch would then have been instantly understood by another upper Midwesterner.

[QUOTE=Walloon]
Something can be “usually” one way (say two out of three times), but “often” (say one out of three) the other. If I had a “hell of a time” trying to get my car started in freezing weather, I wasn’t having a good time. If I told my child “that’s a hell of a way to behave to your father” I wouldn’t be complimenting her. “Hell” is supposed to be a place of eternal damnation and punishment.
[/QUOTE]

If you’re trying to hijack this, you’re doing a helluva job, Brownie.

Daniel

Around here, “hell of a” can be good or bad, depending on the inflection used.

[QUOTE=Wendell Wagner]
chowder writes:

> I visited a place on Michigan Avenue . . .

The one in Chicago, or the one in various places in Michigan, or some other Michigan Avenue?
[/QUOTE]

Chicago.

If memory serves me right it was more or less opposite the Disney store

AK! KK, the bain of my olfactory nerve! I hate those things. They were everywhere in Mississippi, especially in front of the Piggly Wiggly on Sunday mornings, being sold by wretched-looking Xtians. The words “Krispy Kremes” gag me themselves, with the vision of so much sugar it forms a crusty shell. I thought I got away from them when we moved to Seattle, but I happened to be working in a building on a hill overlooking what became the site of the first Krusty Krappe in Washington State. When they finally opened, everyone had been whipped into a frenzy of antici…PAtion for these gross little hockey pucks. It was fun to look out the window and see the line that was already forming for the drivethru at 4:00AM on opening day, but the fun soon ended when the boss came in with an enormous pallet of fresh steaming sugary crap and decided the table next to my desk was the central site to leave this offering for the group. I lasted about 10 minutes, then had to get up and move the box to another table before I ralphed into my wastebasket, overwhelmed by yeasty, smotheringly sugary fumes. And of course, this scenario was repeated daily for about three weeks, until the novelty wore off. Gah!

Krispy Kremes are neither Krispy nor Kreamy. Discuss.

[QUOTE=bordelond]
FWIW, Baton Rouge had at least one Krispy Kreme, close to LSU’s campus, during the late 80s and early 90s. It was an old, diner looking place… very different from what the modern chain locations look like.
[/QUOTE]

You are probably refering to the one on Plank Road. I wouldn’t exactly call it close to campus, but distance is relative. That one is still open and still doing a banging business. They opened one on Siegan Lane that died a quick death.

I’m spoiled for donuts. My grandfather owned Evangeline Street Bakery in the 60’s and early 70’s. We had very fresh and very yeasty donuts every Sunday morning. Not too much glaze. YUMMMMY! :slight_smile:

Sweet merciful crap, can we get off the KK discussion? Start yet another thread instead of hijacking this one. It was so pleasant until the Doughnut Nazi’s joined.

[QUOTE=zeldarae]
You are probably refering to the one on Plank Road. I wouldn’t exactly call it close to campus, but distance is relative. That one is still open and still doing a banging business. They opened one on Siegan Lane that died a quick death.
[/QUOTE]

No, no … not Plank Road. The KK I’m referring to was a few blocks up Highland from the north gates of LSU. It was in the same strip where the Save-A-Center (?) grocery store and the infamous Murphy’s Bar were located (they had a dollar movie theater there, too). It was right by IHOP and Louie’s and Mr. Gatti’s … and a block north of the Chimes, Godfather’s, China Tiger, and all that.

[QUOTE=bordelond]
No, no … not Plank Road. The KK I’m referring to was a few blocks up Highland from the north gates of LSU. It was in the same strip where the Save-A-Center (?) grocery store and the infamous Murphy’s Bar were located (they had a dollar movie theater there, too). It was right by IHOP and Louie’s and Mr. Gatti’s … and a block north of the Chimes, Godfather’s, China Tiger, and all that.
[/QUOTE]

My mistake … it was a Super-Fresh grocery store in 1989. On Highland Road and State Street.

[QUOTE=sciurophobic]
Aren’t unlimited refills of giant servings of soda and iced tea also another peculiarly American tradition? I’ve heard that if you order a Coke in some other countries you’ll get one small glass and be lucky if you get any ice. And you’ll pay twice as much.
[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Many years ago I took a friend from Texas to my local café in Oxfordshire. He ordered a Coke. He got about 6oz of tepid ‘Value Cola’ that had lost most of its fizz. He sent it back asking for ice in it. It returned with a solitary cube melting fast. And it cost about $2. He wasn’t impressed.

That said, the American junk invasion has introduced big cups and lots of ice here, but gigantic cups and free refills are still pretty rare.

[QUOTE=singular1]
They were everywhere in Mississippi, especially in front of the Piggly Wiggly on Sunday mornings, being sold by wretched-looking Xtians.
[/QUOTE]
Godd I hatte thosse peskky Christtians.

[QUOTE=Liberal]
Godd I hatte thosse peskky Christtians.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, but I love the name Piggly Wiggly. I wish we had a store with a name like that around here. It cracks me up every time I hear it. :smiley: