Surprised by American food

[QUOTE=Liberal]
Maybe she just screwed up the order. I’ve order a coke before and gotten tea, and I have no acceeyent at all.
[/QUOTE]

At Wendy’s (any Wendy’s) I often get Hi-C when I order iced tea. Never had it happen at another resturant.

[QUOTE=JohnT]
To answer an unanswered question:

Yes, many people do like to eat whole pickles, straight up. My five year-old daughter, for one. (but she gets a pass because she’s, like, five. :wink: )
[/QUOTE]

There are even deep-fried dill pickles I’ve seen people eat all of, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
Then again, it’s good you didn’t complain. They could have been looking to keep up their yearly quota of lynchings.
[/QUOTE]
Gracious no! I am English, and one doesn’t want to make a fuss.

I merely composed an angry letter to the Times in my head - and before I left, I made my own “Blizzard” in the restroom.

[QUOTE=Etumretniw]
WTF? Pickled pigs feet? Eeww… Thats sick, man!
[/QUOTE]
To you, I have one word … lutfisk

[QUOTE=romansperson]
There are even deep-fried dill pickles I’ve seen people eat all of, too. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/QUOTE]

Yum…believe it or not, they’re good!!!

Mmmm! I love fried dill pickles! Even in the South, where they’re most common, they’re pretty unusual and most people react with skepticism. But they are sooooooooo yummy. It’s not a whole pickle deepfried like a corndog: it’s slices or small pieces (maybe spears in some places) of pickle in a light batter, with ranch dressing for dipping.

When my family came over from the UK, biscuits and gravy was definitley the biggest surprise. They are all vegetarians, so trying it was out of the question (though I have had vegetarian and even vegan B&G), but even seeing other people eat it left them nearly speachless. I think biscuits and gravy is the food of the gods. It has to be–I mean, no MORTAL would survive a second helping!

The other surprise (for the kids, in particular) was peanut butter candy such as peanut butter cups and Butterfingers bars. I was surprised that they didn’t like it very much.

[QUOTE=zagloba]
To you, I have one word … lutfisk
[/QUOTE]

Touché. Also bloodpudding is kinda odd, but most of all surströmming, which is a fish that some people claim “is not rotting at all!”, but if you have ever felt that smell up close, you know better. Pure horror, it is. This is mostly consumed in northern Sweden, though.

[QUOTE=Alan Smithee]

When my family came over from the UK, biscuits and gravy was definitley the biggest surprise. They are all vegetarians, so trying it was out of the question (though I have had vegetarian and even vegan B&G), but even seeing other people eat it left them nearly speachless. I think biscuits and gravy is the food of the gods. It has to be–I mean, no MORTAL would survive a second helping!
[/QUOTE]

Vegetarian here, too, so I’ve never tried it, but I can’t watch someone eat it. I’m sorry, but it just looks like the cook got…um…really excited while making the biscuits, if you know what I mean. :barf:

Deep Fried Dill Pickles are incredibly delicious–and I use the adverb carefully. You try the first one cautiously and are all, That’s Disgusting! Auggghh! But then you try one more because, I mean, it’s a cool kind of disgusting, and you’re cool, right? And then you start talking with your friends about something, and you’re drinking your beer, and there’s this big basket of pickles in front of you, and the horseradish sauce is kind of tasty, and before you know it you look down and you’ve eaten the entire basket full of pickle chips, and you kind of wish you had more. And then every time you walk past that restaurant, even if you just ate dinner, you kind of want to stop in and get a basket of deep fried pickle chips.

[QUOTE=Bridget Burke]
Grits is (are?) fairly flavorless alone. But great served with breakfast, soaking up the egg yolk & pork grease. Grits baked with cheese & other savory flavors is even better.

“What’s the difference between grits & polenta?”

“About 10 dollars a plate!”
[/QUOTE]

:smiley: I’m always surprised to hear all the skepticism about grits, for precisely these reasons–and I don’t use that adverb carefully. Grits are bland, although if they’re yellow grits, they taste like corn. People don’t freak out about rice or oatmeal or cream of wheat, not usually, but it’s like a sign of Cultural Sophistication to recoil in horror at the thought of grits. Nonsense! Cooked right, with some salt and pepper and butter (and maybe some heavy cream or cheese), they’re warm comfort incarnate, the gustatory equivalent of lying in a patch of sunlight. The breakfast place down the street from me adds chipotle peppers to the grits, in a stroke of blasphemic genius. That’s some awesome breakfast, let me tell you what.

And I’m glad someone mentioned the peanut butter. In my theory of One Nasty Food, every country has a delicacy that they love and that folks from other countries think is, well, nasty. Brits, you have your Vegemite; Australians Marmite; Koreans Kim Chi; Americans peanut butter. I was astonished in college the degree to which exchange students thought peanut butter (especially in sweet concoctions such as dessert or the rhapsodic PB&J) was revolting; but I guess it’s just our Vegemite.

Daniel

[QUOTE=jjimm]
Anything to do with lots and lots of meat.

Proper pastrami sandwiches on soft rye bread. I am also very partial to Arbys sliced beef sandwiches; a guilty pleasure.

But the one thing you never ever see outsite the US is Deep South-style “barbecue”, which was a total revelation. I don’t know why this isn’t exported. Come on entrepreneurs, we need this stuff over here - stat.
[/QUOTE]

Well if you’re ever over in Lincoln My friend James (From texas) got a nice giant propane Grill from B&Q’s and I think he’s trying to figgure out how to BBQ an entire cow on that thing.

So… You use the propane to light the charcoal?

:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Left Hand of Dorkness]
…Koreans Kim Chi…
[/QUOTE]

There are a billion kinds of Kim-Chi, many of them quite horrid. Just as many, of course, are delicious! They do stink up the fridge, though.

When I was living in Seoul, McDonald’s had a “kim-chi burger”… I never tried it, as it looked disgusting. BLEEARGHH!

I always wanted to try deep fried pickles, though, and haven’t yet had a chance to.

[QUOTE=Astroboy14]
There are a billion kinds of Kim-Chi, many of them quite horrid. Just as many, of course, are delicious! They do stink up the fridge, though.
QUOTE]

What do you expect from “food” that is buried in the ground for a few years? I mean really people

[QUOTE=Etumretniw]
Touché. Also bloodpudding is kinda odd, but most of all surströmming, which is a fish that some people claim “is not rotting at all!”, but if you have ever felt that smell up close, you know better. Pure horror, it is. This is mostly consumed in northern Sweden, though.
[/QUOTE]

Gack! :frowning:

Sounds similar to the decaying shark that Anthony Bourdain ate on the Iceland episode of No Reservations…buried for 6 mo’s?

He said it was singularly the worst thing he ever put in his mouth, or something very close to that.

[QUOTE=Etumretniw]
but most of all surströmming, which is a fish that some people claim “is not rotting at all!”
[/QUOTE]

Is this what a foreign exchange student from Uppsala was referring to when he talked about eating ‘raw rotten fish’?

[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Pork chops! Or ham. But the very best is my own homemade apple sauce on buttered bread. Absolutely to die for. And much, much tastier than the gloop you buy in jars or get at restaurants.
[/QUOTE]

**Quiddity **, can i come live with you? :stuck_out_tongue:
i lurves me some apple butter!!
it’s very tough to find here in the hoosier state where it doesn’t taste like book glue!!
and yes, i’ve tasted book glue as a wee one…

Don’t get me wrong, I love pickles - but a whole one? Pickles in hamburgers, pickles in sandwiches - great. Pickle in a plastic bag while walking around - hmm.

Actually, us Aussies have the Vegemite, but I don’t like it myself.

I have a recipe for American-style biscuits - think I’ll cook up a batch just to see what they’re like…

[QUOTE=fishbicycle]

I liked chicken-fried steak and sausage gravy from the first time I tried it. I’d never even heard of it before I came here.

[/QUOTE]

Is chicken-fried steak made from chicken-eating cows?

[QUOTE=Layla01]
Don’t get me wrong, I love pickles - but a whole one? Pickles in hamburgers, pickles in sandwiches - great. Pickle in a plastic bag while walking around - hmm.

Actually, us Aussies have the Vegemite, but I don’t like it myself.

I have a recipe for American-style biscuits - think I’ll cook up a batch just to see what they’re like…
[/QUOTE]

Oh, yea. The pickle in a bag. It’s a great invention. Been around quite some time–A single serving Giant Kosher dill in its own sealed plastic baggie with neon juice. Used to see them all around at convenience stores and gas stations, not so much anymore. I love those giant dills.

The giant dills first made their appearance as fair food, then spread to convenience stores. Quite tasty, actually.