Surprised by American food

[QUOTE=Cunctator]
No, but I’ve had peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Yum.
[/QUOTE]

Best is pb and honey and banana! Back when I could eat pb anyway.

[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]

Mine isn’t. Think apple pie filling - not the glutinous gooey ick that you get in cheapo pies but cooked apple with cinnamon and sugar. Then the cooked apples are broken up gently with a spoon.
[/QUOTE]

Can’t really picture it well because I hate apple pie. I actually hate all cooked fruit, but apples are worst. I just can’t get into the texture.

(Am I gonna get thrown out of the American food thread for dissin’ apple pie?)

[QUOTE=OpalCat]
Can’t really picture it well because I hate apple pie. I actually hate all cooked fruit, but apples are worst. I just can’t get into the texture.

(Am I gonna get thrown out of the American food thread for dissin’ apple pie?)
[/QUOTE]

:eek: How can you live with yourself?

Why do you hate America?

:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Why do you hate America?

:stuck_out_tongue:
[/QUOTE]

The terrorists have already won.

Despite the nay-sayers, I am now craving biscuits and sausage gravy.
I’m an American but I’ve never tried deep fried pickles. From one of the descriptions they sound like salt and vinegar potato chips. Someone at work had some once so I tried one, it was weird, so I had to have another and another Next thing I knew I’d eaten a lot of them. Every once in a while I’ll buy some and experience the same thing again and eat too many. Then my mouth shrivels up and hurts and I say I’ll never do it again … but I do.
I’ve heard that Brits have some interesting flavors of crisps. Can anyone enlighten me?

[QUOTE=OpalCat]
Can’t really picture it well because I hate apple pie. I actually hate all cooked fruit, but apples are worst. I just can’t get into the texture.

(Am I gonna get thrown out of the American food thread for dissin’ apple pie?)
[/QUOTE]

LOL. No, just Mocked!

Big hugs from us here OpalCat!

Being a military family we had access to a lot of American stuff, but our diet was pretty British. When I came to America in the 1980s a couple of things threw me for a loop.

The size of a Texas burger joint burger. Not McDonalds, or BK, but something like Hut’s or Austin Burger Works. Massive, man!

When I taught in Houston my students would eat one of those stinky ass dill pickles that looks like a green turd… with a peppermint stick in the middle of it. Ewww!

Lack of variety in crisps - we had bacon & tomato, prawn cocktail, salt & vinegar, and about thirty other flavors… pretty much all you could get in the 80s was sour cream and onion and BBQ flavor in America. That’s changed, though.

American candy bars suck compared to British candy bars. I love a Brit Kit Kat or Cadbury’s Fruit & Nut, or Penguin, or Club, or a proper Mars bar… our versions of what Brits have aren’t as good. And a Mars bar in the US is very different from the UK version.

I miss tons of British food we don’t have here: bangers, sausage rolls, proper fish and chips in paper, Cornish pasties, Mr. Kipling’s cakes and pies, Lilt soda…

And I’ve been to the Taco Bell in Piccadilly. I wonder if it’s still there? They had no salsa, but they had sour cream in the early 1980s. For a country with no Mexican food of any kind, it was pretty decent.

[QUOTE=Left Hand of Dorkness]
<snip> In my theory of One Nasty Food, every country has a delicacy that they love and that folks from other countries think is, well, nasty. Brits, you have your Vegemite; Australians Marmite; Koreans Kim Chi; Americans peanut butter. I was astonished in college the degree to which exchange students thought peanut butter (especially in sweet concoctions such as dessert or the rhapsodic PB&J) was revolting; but I guess it’s just our Vegemite.

Daniel
[/QUOTE]

Now you’ve got me wondering what Canada’s disgusting delicacy is. :confused:
OH OH I’ve got it - Hawkins Cheezies!

[QUOTE=Pochacco]
Barbecue is a very delicate art, probably because it’s such a slow cooking method. You’ll notice that there aren’t any fast food barbecue places, and the barbecue chains are generally mediocre. The only good barbecue seems to be made in little hidden, hole-in-the-wall joints.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, BBQ usually takes a long time to make, but by the time people start ordering it the ribs, brisket, or whatever are already pretty much done and the orders come just about as quickly as one might exepct at McDonald’s or Burger King.

Marc

[QUOTE=Cunctator]
We put beetroot on hamburgers.
[/QUOTE]

I believe he asked what other countries do to food. He didn’t ask what is done to food at the most loathsome depths of hellish dimensions of puppy rapers.

Don’t any of you ever put sugar on your buttered grits? What’s wrong with you?

[QUOTE=Hippy Hollow]
And a Mars bar in the US is very different from the UK version.
[/QUOTE]
Isn’t it? How odd!

Does anyone know whether Aussies have the UK or US version?

[QUOTE=silenus]
The giant dills first made their appearance as fair food, then spread to convenience stores. Quite tasty, actually.
[/QUOTE]
I’m thinking pickle barrels in delicatessens might predate that!

CMC fnord!

Pickles at the movies is what really surprised me from the US.

Also KFC Famous Bowls, sides of whole kumera served as a side at steakhouses, biscuits and gravy (yuum), creamer in coffee, cherry flavouried diet pepsi, to name a few.

Cunctator I <3 beetroot on burgers.

[QUOTE=Bites When Provoked]
Isn’t it? How odd!

Does anyone know whether Aussies have the UK or US version?
[/QUOTE]

American Mars Bars are what we in the UK call Milky Ways.

Brit Mars Bars are a bit like Milky Ways but are denser, not so light and fluffy, and have a big wedge of caramal along the top of the fluffy bit.

Oh, and American chocolate sucks big time. Hershey bars taste like that fake chocolate we used to get in cheap sweets in the 70s.

[QUOTE=anamnesis]

I met a fellow from Manchester recently who had never seen potato skins before and thought it odd for the same reason we’d find beans on a potato odd, I presume.
[/QUOTE]

Well, we are pretty sheltered around these parts, but potato skins are pretty common, now.

[QUOTE=SanVito]
Brit Mars Bars are a bit like Milky Ways but are denser, not so light and fluffy, and have a big wedge of caramal along the top of the fluffy bit.
.
[/QUOTE]

We have both Milky Ways and the denser Mars Bars. Apparently neither is as good as the UK version.

[QUOTE=devilsknew]
Here’s an American that never really got the breakfast savory and sweet thing, either. Syrup on my pancakes and waffles, yes. But never near my bacon or sausage … I think it’s just maple flavor that I don’t like.

…

Unfortunately, I hate the cloy of maple.
[/QUOTE]

Are you having real maple syrup, or that fake-ass Aunt Jemima shit?

Poutine!

[QUOTE=Johnny L.A.]
Is this what a foreign exchange student from Uppsala was referring to when he talked about eating ‘raw rotten fish’?
[/QUOTE]

Yep. I’d have to be VERY hungry before I’d eat that…

[QUOTE=matt_mcl]
Poutine!
[/QUOTE]

I’ve never had poutine, but this was gonna be my guess as well. I can actually imagine that it would taste pretty damn good. But the description of it is revolting.

I wonder if the maple-and-peanut butter is a regional thing, more common in areas where maple syrup is more common. Down here, real maple is pretty exotic; I love the stuff, but it’s a rare treat. When honey is so much cheaper, I can’t imagine why anyone would eat PB&MS instead.

Daniel