Survivor 37: David vs. Goliath Premieres Tonight

Nice catch!

Did it happen days later and they just moved it around in editing? Did we see Pat in any of the octopus scenes? If not, my guess is that had he already been airlifted out, and they had fire because they’d already been given flint after the first tribal was cancelled.

If David was in any of the octopus scenes, them starting fire on their own would be very impressive even without the rain. With the rain it would be downright miraculous.

On Naked & Afraid they had to start giving people flrestarter because it would literally take 5-9 days of constant effort for them to make fire. And not occasionally. Consistantly around a week to make fire, every friggin’ episode, which gets tiresome after 100 episodes. The only thing I can think of that Survivor gets that Naked & Afraid doesn’t is people wearing glasses that can refract light like a magnifying glass.

I like how they’ve never filmed a season of Survivor anywhere that flint can be found in the wild.

Yes, good catch!

I just rewatched it, and they didn’t cook the octopus. They cut it up, and served it on large (palm?) leaves, but it was quite obviously still raw. Davie did say “Calamari and rice for dinner, man.”, but they never actually showed a fire, or rice, or anything being cooked.

However, Pat was not in any of the octopus segment, but everyone else was. And Davie caught the octopus with a hawaiian sling, and had a dive mask hanging from his belt. There was no indication that fishing gear was included in the original hut building kit they won on the first challenge. So yeah, there’s plenty of evidence to say it actually happened later, but they edited it into the first episode.

FWIW, Elizabeth has a husband and 3 young children according to her Survivor bio.

Okay, that’s interesting. I would say I stand corrected, except that two of the three lesbians I am personally and currently RL friends with (as in, I have spent time with each of them IRL in the past couple weeks) were at one time either engaged to be married to a man, or actually married a man. Either way, the less outwardly gay-acting woman probably perceives the same thing I do in Elizabeth, so I’m still not buying the idea that no one would ever guess they might be aligned.

Wait, are claiming Lyrsa thinks Elizabeth is gay? She clearly doesn’t - she lists her own orientation as a difference between them:

“The strongest connection I have right now is Elizabeth. And that kind of surprised me - cause like, we’re so different. I mean, she’s a cowgirl, I’m a punk rocker lesbian. We’re so different but at the same time I think that we’re connecting on the same level of loyalty and trust, and honesty and respect for the game.”

I mean, if you want to claim you have Shagnasty level gaydar that can infallibly detect sexual orientation after seeing someone on TV for 3 minutes, fine, but the evidence is overwhelming that she’s straight.

Sorry, but when I read the thread title, I thought “They’re going to make that nice little Lutheran boy clay figure fight his dog?” Oops - that’d be Davey versus Goliath. And I might watch that…

EPISODE 2, aired 10/3/2018

Bit surprised to see such a beast of a challenge this early in the season. The physical aspect wasn’t too bad, but the puzzle portion (holding the pieces up with a rope for tension) has basically been done as a full-on challenge by itself in other seasons, so having that after the usual obstacle course is rough. Didn’t look too closely at the cuts but it seemed like the Davids never figured out how the puzzle actually went together (with pieces meeting in the middle between planks).

To me, Natalie is cruising for an early vote out. Only way I think she stays in at this point is not going to TC and an early tribe mixup putting her in a good position. She really seems to have alienated her teammates (and doesn’t even realize it) and the producers are going out of their way to show it. Her reasoning doesn’t make sense either… old women do tend to be a target in the very first few tribals, because tribes are still in the “keep the tribe strong” phase before moving on to “knock out the strong people before the merge” line of thinking.

Which, of course, can be seen in how the David TC vote turned into a split between the two women thought to be the weakest. Can’t say I’m a fan of “Mason-Dixon” alliance but I’ve heard worse Survivor names I suppose.

I like the Mason-Dixon guys. I hope they link up with Mike White after a shuffle or merge.

Agreed that Natalie is ridiculous. Nothing she says makes a lick of sense, but she is adamant about all of it. :smack:

I gotta admit, I’m not a fan of one tribe dominating everything, but it would be pretty hilarious if the answer to “Can David beat Goliath?” is “Obviously not.”

If they don’t have a sling or slingshot challenge of some sort before the first shuffle, I will be extremely disappointed.

Natalie must be used to getting things her way. She seems clueless. She is listed as Publishing CEO, so I guess she bosses people around.

Heh, good call.

But if recent history is a guide, the first shuffle is nearly certain to be this week. OTOH maybe they want to surprise us by not doing that (kind of like that one season when they tricked players into thinking they had merged, but they were actually just moved to the same beach).

Poor Shii Ann…

Heh, that was hilarious.

I was happier than I expected to see the cute popular girl get voted off. Good for Christian to recognize the power alliance early and take one of them out.

How long before the target shifts to Chritian’s Back, though? He may be too smart for his own good.

EPISODE 3, aired 10/10

Boy, having the combo reward/immunity challenge really does give them a lot of time to spend on different people. Although there’s still a few people I couldn’t tell you anything about, I felt the producers did a good job of giving a lot of different people some face time.

Natalie’s social game (or lack thereof) finally came to a head but damn if Jeremy didn’t dig his own grave. Tells everyone he doesn’t like the strategic conversations then immediately starts talking about who to target. And with the upcoming shuffle Natalie has a good chance to find a stronger position I think.

Good analysis.

I felt this would have been a very strong half hour episode, but they had to pad it with filler to, well, fill the time.

If anyone was on the fence about the blindside, I’m betting that funeral dig in Tribal sealed the deal. What a low blow.

I loved when one of them piped up with “umbrellas!” in regard to a what a good reward would be.

You’d think they could schedule the filming to avoid hurricane season.