Survivor: Gabon Finale 12/14/2008

God, I hope not. I see the “he deserves sympathy” argument – but I don’t want to have to watch him on TV every week. He is a nasty, bitter man.

ETA: I didn’t know they gave IQ tests to the contestants – wonder what the minimum cutoff is?

Ask Eliza.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Why’s that? She is ridiculously well educated and odds are, her IQ is even higher than Marcus’.

Yeah, I remember Probst mentioning on the Amazon reunion show that Heidi Strobel had the highest IQ that season and I have wished ever since that they would share that info every season.

I wanted Sugar to win, for 4 reasons

1. I have a crush on her
  2. She played the best strategic game, and surprising at that. It wasn’t a nasty all-backstabby kind of strategy, it was smooth
  3. I desperately wanted to see the look on Corrine’s face if Sugar won
  4. Did I mention I have a crush on her? :slight_smile:

But all-in-all Bob was probably the deserving winner. Winning challenges and being incredibly useful around the camp wins big points.

I think there were three of them that I thought earned top honors

1a. Bob
1b. Sugar
3. Kenny

Not sure what Matty did that people thought he was deserving. Sure, he would’ve won if up against Susie and Sugar, but that would’ve been due to the "Anyone-but-Sugar-I’m-so-bitter-and-hateful’ vote

Every season needs an antagonist or two. Otherwise the season would be incredibly bland. Randy fit that mold perfectly.

Which would be why Ami Cusack came back for All Stars.

The funny thing about that was that on [del]All Stars[/del] Fans vs. Favorites, Ami was actually a pretty pleasant person. She didn’t live up to the queen bitch image at all that she had from her first season. She got along with more people, wasn’t overtly anti-male, and seemed to be trying to play more of a social game than a strategic one.

Finally got around to watching the finale on OnDemand. This was the first full season I’ve watched; loved it. 2(Sugar and Bob) of my 4 made it to the final three and the other two(Kenny and Matty) were close.

First Bob, aka Bill Nye Sr. - There could be no better winner. He really was the “Ultimate Survivor”. He dominated the challenges, excelled in the actual surviving(camp life), and played just enough of the social/strategy game to win it all(and he did it with class, re: taking Sugar to task for her reaction to the Randy vote). What really got me about him, was his pure enjoyment for the moment and surroundings; the way that he took his own “personal safari”. If ever there was Doper potential on this show, he would be right at home here. He also is uncannily similar(looks and personality) to my late Grandpa, also named Robert, though we always called him Papa.

One question though- after he and Sugar talked before the final vote and he went off on his own, they showed him working on making fire. I wonder did they take that footage from some other time in the season(perhaps after losing to Suzie on that first fire challenge) or was he smart enough to figure out that was the most likely tiebreaker? Again, I’m relatively new to the show(jumped in the second half of last season) so I’m still not keen to all the editing tricks.
Finally Sugar- A Goddess. I lurve, luv, love Sugar! Seriously. Bear with me here, no one else, I know watches this show so I got to get this out here. I know it is a view through the editor’s bias, but as far as I can tell, she is damn near the perfect woman. She is so incredibly gorgeous; and then seeing here dressed up at the reunion show(or at least the vote so far), just absolutely stunning.
Beyond that though, she is as brilliant as she is beautiful. Until the jury questions, she played an absolute perfect social/strategy game. I too am in the camp that she threw her votes to Bob; she all but said ‘vote for him rather than me’.
Not only is she smart, but she also has heart. When she said she “just wants the good guys to win”, that about sowed it up for me. Again, perhaps due to the editing, I got nothing but vibes of a good hearted person from her, with maybe just enough cunning(she slips the occasional sly smile) to get through the game.
I also am just going on the assumption that she is a hiphop fan, if only because of her necklas. Maybe she just likes vinyl, but damn it, until proved otherwise, in my mind she too is a head, which just completes the package.
Oh and one last observation, go back and watch the second to last challenge(w/ the mazes). When she is trying to go under the fence, the host says something like “Sugar’s trying to squeeze her booty through” and she makes the cutest little squeak. Damn. Lets just say I almost had a recent ‘SNL Digital Short’ moment there.
Uhh yeah…

So I guess I’ll end it there, like Suzie, I think I’ve said too much. Oh, but did I mention I fell in love with this amazing woman on my TV? Le sigh.

Yes, firemaking has been a tiebreaker in several seasons before this. It was a pretty good bet that it would be this season also.

And Sugar (aka Jessica Kiper) is an actual working actress, so there’s a good chance you can find something else with her in it (though, obviously, not as HER, as such (although you could possibly say that “Sugar” was as much a character as “Shane” on Gilmore Girls, I suppose)).

Jessica Kiper fans may enjoy this slightly NSFW gallery of some of her pinup shots:

http : //www.tvrage.com/person/id-31098/gallery/

Also, I didn’t know she was in the Angel series… going to try to rewatch that ep.

Sugar wasn’t there for the money so much as the publicity, she’s a actess, and she’s got a great contract out of this, which is exactly what she wanted.

In fact, she may have been smart enough to let Bob get into the final three, so that she’d be more popular.

The actual Survivors hate actors on the show, which is why the actors usually get voted off early, and which is why Sugar got no votes.

They have a point.

Not picking on you in particular, but I am astonished at the number of people who think that Sugar played a great game. She was an airhead who. mostly through blind luck, found herself as the swing vote many times. She responded by acting totally on emotion, without any thought as to how it left her positioned in the game. In the final TC, she was exposed to all as an airhead. She’s cute, though.

I don’t think that’s true. Jonathan Penner didn’t appear to have his career held against him on either of his seasons. What other actors have there been?

She is the only contestant to never have her name written down. Not once, for any reason.

By definition that means she played at least a good game, if not great.

Given how in this series the tribes were intent on voting off threats as early as possible, even when they were still valuable to the tribe, I think it indicates that she was simply not perceived as a threat - as indicated by the final voting. And the HII contributed - nobody thought it worthwhile trying to arrange a blindside just to get rid of her.

Mind you, I am surprised that she got no votes at final TC. I thought she was more worthy than Susie (although Susie did win two ICs). Marcus explained why.

The HII usually brings out votes very quickly. For example, as soon as Kenny thought Corinne had a HII Corinne got voted out.

That actually supports my point - the player is deemed to be a threat because of the HII, so they try get rid of him/her. Sugar was not a threat, so they didn’t try get rid of her.

Kenny thought he was voting Matty out, if Corinne had the HII. His plan only voted her out if she did NOT have the idol because he expected her to play it.

That’s what makes it so impressive. She was clearly a threat, and a major one at that. As evidence, she made it to the final TC without ever incurring a single vote, and she singlehandedly chose the fates of 5 of the last 6 players.

She chose to oust Kenny, Crystal and Matty, and chose to keep herself and Bob. Suzie was the only player whose position past the final six wasn’t decided solely by Sugar.

Just her manipulation in the endgame alone qualifies as great play. So does having the HII all game and never getting a vote. That’s two separate examples of great play by her.

She also accomplished all this without ever winning individual immunity.

Considering that Sugar had the HII, this statement makes no sense.

If you’re implying that Sugar was so much of a non-threat that she she was still a non-threat even after accounting for the threat level of the HII, I’m going to have to call bullshit.