Survivor II - What did they have against Debb?

Why did Kel get all seven votes? I can understand why some people might have voted for him, but he had promised Tina and Maralyn that he wouldn’t vote against them. Out of the seven possible choices, why did those two vote against someone who wasn’t voting against them? I’m not talking gratitude or altruism here; it makes no sense from a self-interest standpoint.

LN, they thought he was hiding food from them.

I didn’t get this. He explained what they thought they saw, they searched his stuff and didn’t find any food…that should have been the end of it. What I think happened was that Jerri made the whole thing up to cast aspersions on someone who might be a threat but who is useful to have around. I think she wanted him off so she created a hoax.

I started a league: League of Bloodthirsty Weasels on Crack

Feel free to join if you sign up to play Fantasy Outback :smiley:
http://www.survivorsucks.com/fantasy/

That is exactly what I thought. Someone should have tried to smell his breath…then they would know for sure if he had been eating beef jerky. It was not right that they looked through his stuff.

She (Jerri) is a lying, backstabbing bitch who is trying to get rid of anyone who seems like a threat. The guy was (or is) an Army Ranger (or something like that, right?). He would have been a big help right now, while they need to work together and be a team. No, he wasn’t catching any fish, but he was TRYING. All Jerri did was make tortillas, for Pete’s sake!
And the guy who is a chef, trying to make rice? Well, in his defense, he is probably used to a rice steamer and regular pots and pans…you try making rice in a flat pan over an open flame. I’m sure it wasn’t easy. And no one else offered to help.

Oh I absolutely hate Jerri. She’s manipulating them and they don’t even know it. She makes Richard from Survivor I look like a boy scout.

I don’t think Kel was eating beef jerky. He was an outsider and didn’t fit in with the rest of the group. That made him an easy target to pick off now instead of letting him stick around when immunity is given to individuals. He probably would;ve been a tough competitor and difficult person to beat in the challenges when the tribes merge in a few more weeks.

Kel was just a nice guy who didn’t stand a chance. When he offered to share his shaving kit with the rest of the tribe, Jerri saw it as an admission of guilt. I think he was just trying to be part of the team and show that he wasn’t going to hold a grudge against them for wrongfully accusing him of eating the jerky. When he was off trying to catch fish, it gave ample opportunity for the rest of the sheep to buy into Jerri’s manipulations and turn them against Kel.

I’m having a party the day Jerri gets what’s coming to her.

I don’t think the beef jerky thing had anything to do with the 7-1 vote against Kel. It was simply a vehicle to deliver manipulation for Jerri. She’s incredibly persuasive, and she’s making her voice heard. People will go along with that in a situation like this, simply for self-preservation reasons. There are alliances in both groups, but the producers aren’t showing them to us I believe.

Kelli is getting rid of the productive members who have a reason for their voice to be heard, leaving Kelli with a bunch of Mitchells to toy around with. Granted, I think Kelli will end her reign soon after the merger. I see Marilyn making the final four.

My will to be productive at work has been broken by a heavy lunch, so I joined your team! Just thought I’d let you know. Now let’s win those fabulous prizes so we can fight over who gets what - Survivor style!! :slight_smile:

By the way, what’s up with that Tommy Tune wannabe, Mitchell? Do you think that the reason he wrote Kel’s name as “Kelly” had anything to do with Kel being caught in a “compromising position” with himself in the bushes?? (at least according to Page 6 of the NY Post). He’s the very LAST person on that island that should go around emasculating people . . .

I just assumed Kel’s real name was Kelly.

Last night made me so mad, Kel was by far the nicest person on that team and the hardest working. Jerri made that whole thing about the beef jerky up to tarnish him because she knew that if he ever started catching fish he would be untouchable. Marilyn and that chick who threw up the beef stomach cut their own throats by doublecrossing Kel, they are the next two off. That whole thing was so high school, the popular kids dumping on the nice ones and everyone else just going along. Jerri is worse than Rich.

Hey, I signed up too–under the name “crimmer.” I’m only a lurker here…but I wanted you to know who this random person joining your league was! :slight_smile:

Kel’s mistake was to go off fishing by himself. His time would have been better spent bonding with the others. By going off alone, he separated himself from the group and gave them the opportunity to talk/scheme about him behind his back.

Also, why does it never occur to people (either on this survivor or the last one) to use nets instead of hooks to catch fish? It would be much more efficient to put together some kind of crude net and drive the fish into it. Or do what the Indians used to do and build a funnel trap at a narrow point in the stream and drive the fish into that.

I have joined your league!! I’m ducktheduck…

On another note, I don’t know why Kel was kicked off. I don’t think that Jerri made it up, he obviously was eating something. When you’re hungry and irritable you can be somewhat irrational, which I think she was.

Needless to say I think the suspiscion alone caused him to be gone. I forget who said it, but they’re right. He spent too much time alone and not enough letting the tribe get to know him. So when he did make a peace offering it came off the wrong way.

Lets face it, he just didn’t play the game well the same as Debb. (Who came out full speed ahead while her team was just getting to know each other.)

Kel’s full name is Kelly.

He pretty well summed up his reasons for being booted in his own words. He never fit in with the group. That’s why even those who defended him against the false charges of hiding food (such as Maralyn) ended up voting against him. Or, at least, that’s the best we can tell without knowing more of the discussions that may have gone on.

I dunno. I still think that Jerri’s got to go. Do we have anyone elses word for the fact that Kel was eating beef jerky? Or did she make it up to try and get him kicked off?

I thought of that. Were I ever on the show, my “luxury item” would be a 100 yard skein of “550 cord”. I don’t know if that’s the official name, but it’s used as parachute shroud line and has a strength of 550 pounds. It’s a nylon outer shell surrounding seven nylon cords inside. Here’s what you do:

Cut off a length the desired width of your net. Pull out the inner strings. Tie the shell between a couple of sticks. Tie the inner lines at about 1" - 2" intervals (depending on the size of your fish) along the length of the shell. Cut them to the length of your net and use the ends to fill out the vertical component of your net. Now tie an overhand knot a couple of inches down in two adjoining lines. Do the same to the next two, and so on. Now tie the second string from the first pair to the first string of the second pair, the second string from the second pair to the first string of the third pair, and so on. Then go back to the original patern. You’ll wind up with a nylon “chain link fence” known as a gill net. If you got the size right, a fish can get in but can’t get out. You can tie weights to it and use it as a throw net, or you can put weights on the bottom and hang it across a stream then chase the fish into it. The inner lines would also make better fishing line than the twine they were using. I’ll bet you can catch birds with it as well, by craftily suspending it between trees.

About only needing the fire for the first show: That’s true. The winner of the challenge gets matches and the losing team keeps their lit torches. But it isn’t “one show”. It’s three days. I’ll bet a team could get a fire going with a bow and drill in less than three days. Espicially if they have some 550 cord for the string.

They seem to be overlooking food sources. I’ve never been in a desert that didn’t have lizards. Sure, there’s not a lot of meat on them, but if you have a fire they can flavour the rice. Are they eating the figs? Insects can be washed out of them. If someone had thought to bring the 550 cord, they could catch birds anf fish. Maybe cute furry animals too. Scott Grady ate ants when he was shot down over Bosnia. I wonder what everyone would do if someone were able to kill a dingo? (Now I’m getting a picture of one of them laying out in the sun pretending to be dead. “What are you doing?” “Shhh! Buzzards!”)

My luxury item would be Johnny LA and his skein of 550 cord!!
:smiley:

On a more serious note, does anyone know what can be considered a “luxury item” ?
Obviously, matches, lighters, Swiss Army knives, etc. would not be allowed. Would a skein of cord like Johnny LA suggested be allowed?

Does it have to truly be a “luxury” kind of thing? Since a couple of them brought make-up and books, I wonder how strict they are about it. Did they know in advance the one guy was going to use his flag as a shelter?

Agreed. She fully made the whole thing up. She figured she was safe, having invented the Magical Tortilla of Wonder, and decided to flex her new-found muscles a bit. Remember that after she made the MToW, she said she had “more tricks up her (non-existant) sleeve”.

But I still say the worst moment of that show was when that one guy thanked God for making him the leader of the tribe. THAT was a bonehead move if I ever saw one. He’s gone real soon.