I have been eating cherries and while I consistently discard the stems, I see no reason to spit out pits all the time. It’s to my mind a waste of time and effort, given that they will pass unharmed through my GI tract and end up painlessly voided into the porcelain lagoon.
Or will they? I have been thinking about how perverse the Universe is and how bad my luck is, so is there a good reason why I should cease swallowing cherry pits?
I accidentally swallowed one today, and usually do if I eat more than one or two.
I’m not terribly worried about it, although according to a popular Japanese folk tale, the eventual consequence of swallowing a cherry pit is turning into a placid pond. I’m not sure if it only applies to tax collectors, though.
I think the symptoms are easy enough to spot that I won’t have any problems knowing when I’ve fucked up and need to go to the ICU. Plus, it appears that swallowing the occasional pit, and I haven’t been going wild with the cherries, is no cause for alarm.