Sweet corn blues in the South

I wish the corn growers in the State of Georgia would get a clue as to growing sweet corn. C’mon, people, Silver Queen was a good variety 50+ years ago. There are much better varieties now. Also, sweet corn should be picked before it takes on a field corn texture- when 5-8 minutes in boiling water is more than enough cooking. The water should be boiling before the corn’s added! People around here add sugar to the cold water, put in the corn, turn on the heat, and let it go for 20 minutes!!! Yes, I know grilled sweet corn’s very good too, but sometimes one doesn’t want to fire up the grill for a couple ears of corn.

I think that if anyone around here would plant some good bi-color corn like Peaches N’ Cream, folks would quit eating so much of their abominable creamed corn.

Don’t even get me started on the differences between southern and midwestern tomatoes.

They obviously are planting what sells. Unless you live in an apartment or something, till up a little spot in your yard and plant what you want.

Yeah, the OP is wrong in a bunch of ways.

Based on the farmers I know, silver queen isn’t even close to being the most popular variety of sweet corn grown in Georgia. According to this link (.pdf), it’s only recommended as a late-season variety, and is only one of about 30 varieties. Are you assuming its Silver Queen because of the color? The farmers I know in Dublin, and other parts of Middle and South Georgia, grow a Bi-color supersweet variety that is Round-Up resistant. And the texture of the sweet corn that one finds in a southern grocery store or famers market doesn’t resemble field corn in size, taste or texture. It’s not even close.

Also, if you think creamed corn is an abomination, then you’ve pretty much guaranteed that anyone with taste will ignore your opinion from here on out.

Finally, I don’t know a soul who boils corn for anything like 20 minutes. That’s absurd. Hang out with better cooks.
ETA: Nothing touches southern tomatoes. :slight_smile:

Well, I have never seen any bi-color corn here in South Georgia- Silver Queen is heavily advertised and marketed down here. I saw a stand yesterday advertising “Field Corn- 4/$1.00”. I had a discussion yesterday with four GA natives who had never heard of bi-color corn. A fifth, however, had had occasion to eat Ohio-grown bi-color corn and said it was the best she ever had, but no one grows it down here.

I class creamed corn with mashed potatoes- good enough, I suppose, but I still have teeth, and I like to use them. Creamed corn and mashed spuds just seem pre-chewed to me.

I am heading to Hoosierland soon. Perhaps I’ll acquire some good corn there. I intend to get some seed and plant up a bunch of good corn when I return- It should be ready early September.

The three things I miss most here are good sweet corn, tomatoes, and apples (yes, I make a yearly pilgrimage to Ellijay, but the varieties there are limited). It’s a trade-off, I suppose. Georgia has good peaches, strawberries, and melons for excellent prices right now. Everybody loved the sixty pounds of cracked and blown pecans I took home last Christmas.

That’s ridiculous. Bi-color corn is available at any Publix, Kroger, Piggly-Wiggly, etc. The people you’re talking to may not be familiar with the term. Anyone who says they don’t grow it down here doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Full stop.

Yes, field corn is available for sale. Not sure why you brought that up.

Not to me. There should be whole kernels in creamed corn. It’s basically just corn taken off the cob, sauteed in butter, with some cream added.
Corn and tomatoes are awesome down here. I’m flabbergasted that you aren’t finding good examples of either.

I’m disappointed to hear that Silver Queen is no good. I had some in Alabama last year and decided to grow it in my garden this year.

Turns out I’m a fool!

It’s wonderful corn.

I don’t know the name of the variety, but the sweet corn I’ve been getting at my farmer’s market needs no cooking at all. Just peel and eat off the cob. I have to keep it in the fridge because one of my cats can’t resist the stuff and will open bags and cabinets to get at it. Turns out, it’s even great cold and refreshing on a hot day!

Yep, Silver Queen was the sweet corn we were growing and eating 50 years ago. Our mainstay corn tho, Hickory Cane, is really hard to find now and I hear it’s considered a heirloom variety. :eek: Wha…?

I can’t remember the last time I even tried to buy corn on the cob from a super market. Their channels of distribution ensue that the corn is overaged the minute it’s put on sale.

I buy at farmer’s market or a little local grocery that gets its fresh corn daily.

Creamed corn is a winter dish I grew up with in the Midwest. Never eat it straight but sometimes use it mixed in with some other stuff.

Good looking tomatoes are mostly tasteless. I’d rather have a funny looking fruit from a farmers’ market. I do buy tomatoes from super markets in the winter when nothing good is available.

Growing your own tomatoes, especially ones that ARE NOT “good shippers” is a rewarding enterprise.

Nobody calls it “bi-color corn” in Georgia. Just ask for peaches and cream. Plenty of that grown here. I don’t know why you’re having trouble finding it.

(And Silver Queen is still delicious, even 50 years later.)

That was true 10 or 15 years ago, but not anymore. The new varieties of corn are ridiculously sweet and travel just fine. I still prefer what comes out of my garden, but grocery store corn is quite good.

I really never meant that Silver Queen is no good, just that it has been surpassed by newer varieties. People around here also tend to let it get too old before they pick it.