Swine Flu - a good time to give up smoking?

So it’s Christmas in two days time and I’m at home with Swine Flu. Just Great.

But on the plus side, I haven’t had - or even wanted - a cigarette since Sunday, which really is an all time record for me.

I’ve been down to 4-6ish a day for the last six months, but have really struggled to make that final push and just haven’t been able to go a day without smoking.

So is this my chance? Have I got over the notorious 48 hour initial nicotine withdrawal without even realising it? Or will I go straight back to pining for a fag when I’m better? I would LOVE it if this represents a realistic chance of finally kicking the habit, particularly as it’s my 40th birthday in 10 days time.

So, any tips on how to take it from here?

First of all, happy birthday early!

Secondly, the first time I quit for any notable length of time was after having a really bad case of the flu. I got over the nicotine withdrawl and was fine for a few months. (I had a personal crisis and I started smoking again to cope… not the best coping mechanism, I know, but still.)

It’s easier to get over the withdrawl while you’re already sick. I doesn’t feel a whole lot worse. I mean, you’re already laid up, why not add that?

Good luck with the quitting. It’s hard.

hats off to you - I am not a smoker, but my husband is and things around our house go to hell when he tries to quit. Its just a tough tough habit.

The times he was successful, it was due to an illness to get him through the worst of it. Good luck!

Happy early Birthday! I turned forty a few weeks ago, and quit smoking two years ago.
The benefits made it worth the struggle. You won’t even notice them until some time has passed, then one day it will hit you that you don’t have that cough anymore, or that things taste different. It’s a great feeling!

I always offer the Allan Carr’s *Easy Way to Stop Smoking *because that’s what helped me. Some people here say it didn’t do a thing for them, but something magical happened to me when I read that book. I went from two packs a day to none, just like that. I never have had one out of stress (and I have had me some stress!) and despite occasionally wishing I could have one, I don’t really have to fight the urge like I did in the early days. I just remember how much better I feel.

You have to love your body enough to give it that gift, as cheezy as that sounds. I don’t think any replacement like gum or pretzels makes as much difference as putting yourself in a place mentally where you’re ready to move forward. If you’re only smoking a few a day now you really don’t need the nicotine. It’s almost all habit now.

One other recommendation is a meter like Silkquit if you want to have a visual to track your progress. I like checking mine out to see how much money I’ve saved. Last time I looked I’d saved well over four thousand dollars. I only wish I could have socked that money away as I was going along.

Merry Christmas and I hope you’re feeling better soon!

Best of luck, dude. Hope you get to feeling better. Feliz Navidad.

Is this your chance to quit? Could be, but only if you want to quit. I say that in all seriousness. While I was a smoker (30 year pack a day habit), I had sinus surgery. Nose packed afterwards, the whole 9 yards. I said to myself “now is the perfect time to quit.” First thing I did when the packing was removed was have a cigarette. Why? Because I wasn’t ready or willing. I say (paraphrasing George Carlin) you gotta wanna quit. If you don’t wanna, you won’t be successful. I wish you good luck in your quit. There’s enough former smokers around here to give you support. Me being one of them.

I’ve never smoked, but I was a heavy coffee drinker for 20 years. I was never able to deal with the withdrawal no matter how I tried, so I kept on drinking coffee: until a month ago, when I got swine flu. Never even noticed the mid-afternoon crash, since I was pretty much in a 24 hour one. Haven’t had (caffeinated) coffee since the week before Thanksgiving.

Not a cure I recommend, though.

Good luck! Sending out a wish for a successful quit.