Symbiosis does not develop over time

Can anyone please cite an example of a symbiotic relationship (not just mutualistic) relationship developing over time, please? Thank you, these citations were refused to me in the GQ thread.

Animal cells and mitochondria, plant cells and chloroplasts, humans and e coli bacteria; such relationships are all over nature, and it’s unlikely that any happened instantly.

Seed plants, and the various organisms that pollinate them.

Can you show us an example in nature of a symbiotic relationship that didn’t develop over a period of time?

Wasn’t this discussed at some length in your other thread? Sample here.

Well, others have already talked about endosymbiotic relationships, but here is a (non-comprehensive) list from Wiki:

Kind of an odd question, and I’m not sure why this wasn’t allowed in GQ since it’s a GQ type question.

Are you asking for documentation as it happened or are you asking for reasonable extrapolations from current observations?

Ah…I see. Never mind then. :stuck_out_tongue:

“No true symbiotic Scotsman” then?

I agree with the OP. It was God who put the malaria protist in the gut of the mosquito. He did it because he loves us.

One of my favorite examples.

Summary - harmful bacterium rapidly sweeps through fruit fly populations. Within 20 years, the relationship has evolved into a mutualism.

This was the OPs original post on the subject in GQ, in a thread about pollination:

Since he seems to be developing a pattern of hijacking threads on evolution in GQ into a discussion of creationism, I told him to take further discussion to Great Debates. The question is an attempt to support creationism.

First, define exactly what you mean by symbiosis.

One of the classic examples of a symbiotic relationships is lichens, involving species of fungi and algae. In many cases both the fungus and the algal species are able to live separately. The symbiosis can develop over the lifetime of the organisms, not over evolutionary time.

Another is between coral and the algal zooanthellae that usually live in their tissues. Again, both partners are capable of living separately. The symbiosis develops during the lifetime of the organisms.

Yeah, I kind of got that same vibe from Marley’s link. Not sure why the OP thinks that they would have to come into existence simultaneously, except the obvious ‘this guy doesn’t actually know or understand anything about biology or evolution’.

On the contrary, that’s what a True Scotsman keeps in his sporran; his symbiote!

It seems a common theme of creationists to pretend that the gradual change of evolution isn’t even conceivable; “what use is half an eye”. Or in this case, “what use is half a symbiote?”

I expect what he means by “symbiosis” is a mutually obligate mutualism. But there are lots of symbiotic relationships in which the mutualism is obligate for only one partner; or species that are symbiotic with a variety of different species. Even obligate mutualists often have close relatives in which the mutualism occurs but is not obligate. All stages along the continuum of commensalism/parasitism/mutualism occur, sometimes between the same species during different stages of their life history.

That’s about the size of it. That’s almost a requisite to believe in creationism in any case.

Or physics. He’s been witnessed trying to school Chronos about the speed of light by quoting Wikipedia, fer gosh sakes…

And, since we’re in GD, what’s the debate, here, seeing as how people have provided twenty or thirty examples?

Thank you for the cite, but how do we know that those relationshops developed over time? Weren’t they all symbiotic relationships as far back as we can observe?

More circumstantial ad hominem. Stick with the message instead of a person’s reputation. Thats the second time i had to tell you that.