Symbols of National Pride

So, the new World Trade Center in New York City was recently declared the tallest building in the United States. Looking up its Wikipedia page, I see the height of the building, 1776 ft, and as an American, I am momentarily filled with great patriotic pride seeing that number (the year of the Declaration of Independence).

For those Doper’s outside the United States, what kinds of symbols or numbers invoke similar feelings? What in particular is it about these dates or icons that make them particularly special? What kind of pride do these symbols invoke (Patriotic, Ethnic, Religious, etc)?

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but 2002… the year I left the USA. I am American, but feel little pride for the USA, though I do love and miss my home region of northern Nevada.

British: it’s completely over the top and ridiculous, but I can’t help but love the Royal processions through London that mark any major event – all the soldiers, flags, glitz. We make a spectacle spectacular, and I love that (why have a Queen if you can’t roll out the odd red carpet?)

Slightly on the flip side, I love the irreverence shown to our flag - a great example of graphic design which designers, grafitti artists and, well, anyone, has take and run with, producing it in all manner of colours and situations for pure graphic pleasure. I like that we don’t worship it and feel we can’t touch it, but rather we all own it and can have fun with it. I love seeing it reproduced in pink flags at gay pride (Obligatory shot of policewoman with pink flag at gay pride).

Where is that location?

(bolding mine)

I feel exactly the same way! :wink:

Brighton – that fancy building in the background is The Brighton Pavilion, the mad dream of the Prince regent, George IV.

Brighton is kind of the Provincetown of the UK, albeit a lot bigger and more mixed – it’s a seaside town about one hour’s train ride from London. Estimates reckon something like 20-30% of the population is LGBT.

We both have great flags, don’t we? But I do remember a discussion on here about people being upset about the US flag not being flown correctly. Wouldn’t happen in the UK, even though pedants complain if it’s flown upside down. But that’s because they are pedants, not because it upsets people’s national pride.

(bolding mine)

Agreed. I’ve always liked the British flag, I think it’s a great design and it has certainly ‘stood the test of time’.
Not trying to be pedantic, but to fly the US flag upside down is (generally) recognized as a ‘distress signal’. :wink:
In regards to the UK flag, how is it possible to fly it ‘upside down’? It looks the same to me, even when it’s flipped over. :confused:

See the cross of St. Andrews (white X) and the cross of St. Patrick (red X)? Notice how the cross of St. Patrick isn’t exactly in the middle of St. Andrew’s cross? Yeah, it takes a moment.

A better question is how does it work with the flag of Japan?

Australian here:

Dates:

1770 - First British discovery of Australia
26th January 1788 - First Fleet lands, bringing the British settlers (convicts and guards) who started European settlement here. 26th January each year is Australia Day.
25th April. ANZAC day, when we remember the date in 1915 when the Gallipoli landing took place, which led to the campaign in which our troops suffered their first major losses of WWI. All other wars are also remembered.
11th November. Armistice Day (or Remembrance Day). In 1918 it was the end of WWI, but each year it is a time to remember all those who served and died on our behalf.

Icons:
Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House. I’ve travelled a lot, and whenever I see images of either of those two places it takes me back home, even though I don’t live in Sydney. Irrelevantly but coincidentally, I actually spent a couple of hours in Sydney today, but not where I could see either of these landmarks.

Ayers Rock/Uluru. Represents a connection to the land, rather than to cities. For most people (including me, although I have lived in the Outback) it’s more a symbolic image rather than a tangible one.

It’s always nice to see the Canadian flag flying anywhere in the world. I’ve seen it flying from consulates and embassies in France, the UK, Greece, Spain, Morocco, Australia, the US…

Uh, wait. As regards the US, see here.

In fairness, I don’t blame the US Marines–if they had broken formation in the colour guard to repair the problem, I’d be disappointed in them. And the US Marines asked to repair the problem by guarding the colors at a subsequent game in Toronto. In the end, the Canadian government granted permission for the US Marines to act officially as color guards on Canada’s soil, where they flew the Canadian flag properly. The Marines did a fine job; and as I recall, Canadians cheered them and forgave them.

Ooops. Still, not as bad as that incident in a football game at the London Olympics, where someone flew the South Korean flag when it should’ve been the North Korean flag. And to think the Olympics are supposed to promote world peace.

I know that the Union Jack has a ‘right way’ up and a ‘wrong way’. But I couldn’t tell you which is which, and I doubt most Brits could.

Basquists like it so much they copied it

Here it’s red. Red anything is very popular locally: red berets, red cars, red logos, red anything. A colleague once mentioned that he’d had a job for the Andalusian government where they were supposed to have some logos show in “Andalusia green” but nobody could give them an exact definition (RBG, RAL, whatever) so getting it right was a bitch; conversely, he’d had one for the Navarrese government where some stuff had to be “red” and when they asked “which red” the answer was “oh, anything between tomato and pomegranate, so long as it’s red; if a guy would call it ‘red’ it works”.

Excellent examples :slight_smile: