Take a guess at when you will end up being vaccinated

Thanks to my last birthday, I can get vaccinated sometime in the week of Jan. 25.

I work at a designated vaccine hub, but I was told yesterday because I previously had Covid, even asymptomatic, I am moved to the end of the line. Which I guess I understand, but it is still irritating. I signed up for my local department of public health’s waiting list since it doesn’t look like my workplace will be a go.

According to Time to Herd, the US’s number of days to reach herd immunity has dropped from close to 2000 days a couple of weeks ago to 630 days as I write this. So I guess the vaccination rate has sped up a bit.

Just checked the NYS website. It says I am now eligible – but it also says NYS now has 7 million people eligible but is getting 300,000 doses a week. Which comes out to 23 weeks just to get the rest of group 1 – and I’m not sure if that’s all of group 1 in that 7 million, or if they just added over-65’s to 1b and there are still some people who are 1c.

The closest site to me that’s currently accepting appointments is over 80 miles away. I didn’t check to see how far out they’re scheduling; I can mostly stay home for now, and will hope for something available closer and for the number of available doses to increase. If the situation seems no better in a month or so, I might try scheduling even at that distance; but while I’m high risk, there are people who are higher.

My guess is 2022.

As I suspected that early mid-January nonsense was ridiculously over-optimistic. Now the thinking is more late Feb/early March. We shall see - I’m not holding my breath.

But in the good news my nearly 80-yr old father is getting his first dose tomorrow.

Population of Switzerland is 8 million. They haven’t published the number of vaccination, but I’m fairly certain it’s not even half.

As of beginning of June everybody else gets a chance to get their vaccine. So this is probably close to my schedule, but I might be getting the Moderna vaccine.

Ohhhkayyyy. I just got an email from our school nurse. The plan in NC is that they vaccinate everyone 75 or older, THEN all healthcare workers and those who are 65 and older, THEN all teachers 50 and over, THEN younger teachers (me).

The “health care workers and 65 and up” group STARTS in our county on February 1.

I’ve got a ways to go.

Rumor is–I haven’t seen confirmation, but rumor is–that each county in NC was given the same number of initial doses, no matter how many people live in that county. Rural counties are doing great. Urban counties? Not so much. If that’s accurate, it’s insane.

I just got an appointment for a vaccine on February 9th. I’m 46, healthy, and not in an essential job or healthcare.

Where are you, @Alessan? You haven’t filled in your location field.

My answer is probably never. (I’m guessing maybe April or even the summer.) Texas’ system is not very good. It’s very difficult to find any, and when you do the appointments go fast. I think maybe people are using auto dialers or something because I can’t even get through yet somehow all 9000 slots are taken in 6 minutes. This is turning into a rant.

I’m particularly upset because my old work-at-home job ended and now I will be starting a new job onsite right in the middle of the most intense outbreak yet by far. I know I’m not any more important than anyone else, but it’d be nice to 1) be able to work from home still and 2) at least get a message on the phone or Internet that all vaccination slots are taken so I know for sure to give up. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I’m 51 with preexisting conditions BTW.

Sorry - Israel. The vaccine rollout has been pretty fast here. They just announced on Thursday that they were lowering the vaccination age to 45, and I got my appointment this morning.

Apparently this is one of the pluses of having a highly organized and digitized health system. Alas, my GP’s office basically has digitized my name and the last couple of appointment dates that I had and pretty much nothing else (at least in my online profile; presumably there is more detail in their internal system, but why none of that is in the patient-facing profile, I have no idea). I am going to hope that the hospital network that he and other doctors I have seen is affiliated with will actually use the info in my record with them to notify people when they can be vaccinated.

It’s just such a patchwork of overlapping boundaries. I live in a major city, but the hospital in question is in a nearby suburb that has its own public health department. So I am not sure whether I would be able to get vaccinated at that hospital because that’s where the locus of my medical treatment has been; at my GP’s office, which is in yet another adjoining suburb; or whether I am in the major city line because that’s where I live.

That sounds like a mess. Here everything is being managed by the HMOs. Every Israeli has to belong to an HMO, by law, and they serve as a one-stop-shop for all medical needs. To get the vaccine appointment, I logged into my HMO’s phone app, they gave me a choice of locations (various hospitals and HMO-owned clinics) and times, I chose the most convenient one, and that was it.

They haven’t given me a date for my second shot yet, though, so I’ll have to look into that.

North Carolina opened up the vaccine to persons 65+ a few days ago. I went to myUNC and tried to schedule an appointment. First I had to answer a bunch of questions verifying that I was over 65, had not previously been vaccinated for Covid, was not symptomatic, and had not received any over vaccines in the past two weeks. Then I was given a list of places I could go to get the vaccine. Since I don’t drive, I had to pick the only one I knew I could get to easily. At that point I was told that there weren’t any appointments available there, and that I should try again later.

Later, I read that the supply of vaccines in my area was limited. So I’m not sure how long I’ll have to wait.

Thanks. Yes, I’ve seen that Israel is really on top of this, at least for citizens. Whereas here we have a royal mess, in which as you see from this thread it isn’t even easily possible to figure out where one’s place in line is. It would really help in my planning for this year to have some idea whether I’m likely to be able to get vaccinated in February, or in April, or May, or later.

Yep, thankfully my employer is not pushing me to come back to the office. I work in a field that is considered essential services in my state (legal and other professional services are considered essential), so they could legitimately be pushing me to come to the office, and I have colleagues at other firms that have had to work in the office at least part of the time. Luckily the partner I work for is sympathetic and willing to go in physically himself at least sometimes, because he needs to review and sign things in hard copy anyway to file them with the government. And our team’s admin is usually in the office. The rest can be done quite effectively via VPN.

But given how quickly any kind of respiratory infection tends to escalate in my crappy lungs, frankly it’s a dealbreaker for me - I would literally be willing to get fired over it until I am fully vaccinated. And my firm also practices employment law, so they are not pushing someone with a well-documented history of asthma to come to the office in person. (Or anyone else as far as I can tell, at least anyone whose job can be done remotely.)

Am I dying to go back in person? Neither literally nor metaphorically, but it sure would be nice to know, for example, when I might be able to see family other than my spouse in person again. I have seen my mom a couple of times, but always masked and socially distanced, and with a couple of exceptions that involved going into her apartment briefly, always outdoors.

When I woke up this morning at 6:00, I saw an email from my professional list that the organization had partnered with a clinic to allow us (1a) to sign up. We jumped online and learned the schedule was full. Then a few hours later, there was an announcement that they had more doses. We managed to get on a provisional list. Since it would take 2-3 hours to get from here to there, we grabbed some snacks and jumped in the car. We emailed when we were in the parking lot and were allowed to join the line about an hour later. We saw a lot of colleagues, and we got the last two doses. Well worth the 6 hours.

There now appear to be multiple sites potentially listing appointments – one for each county, and you can go to a county you don’t live in; one for the state; one for a pharmacy chain in the area; possibly more.

As near as I can tell, none of them within a hundred miles or more of me have appointments available. Nor do they seem to be taking waiting lists; it’s all ‘check back, maybe we’ll have some vaccine some day next week, maybe we won’t.’

I figure I won’t get one till at least October when I turn 65. I know only 2 people that have received the vaccine, my BIL that lives in an assisted living facility and a niece that works as a dental tech.