Taking one for the team

Vercingetorex

Spartacus

Phidippides

It was 6 hours, and that’s not even counting the beating He took, which would make anybody’s labor look like kid’s stuff.

He’s God, yes, but was still human, and everything He went through hurt him just as much as it would hurt you or me.

The idea of the thread is taking one for the team, though. The whole point of Jesus dying on the cross was that He didn’t deserve it.

Judas hung himself, for one thing, and his intestines spilled onto the ground after he offed himself, so he wasn’t disemboweled. What Dante says about where Judas is is irrelevant. Maybe he’s in hell, maybe not.

There was a Japanese or Korean Olympic gymnast back in the 70’s who broke a bone in his leg during the competition. But for the team competition he was needed to perform on the rings, and couldn’t take any painkillers, etc, and still compete. He performed his routine and stuck the dismount, then crumbled in a ball in pain. I always thought that took an amazing amount of fortitude.

Kerry Strugg did something similar in the vault a few years back, but that was a short, one shot thing. Being up on the rings knowing that the dismount was going to be extremely painful must have been a really difficult performance.

Granted, not on the level of some people put forth on this thread, but it has stuck with me.

A lot of really good suggestions here. Lee Harvey Oswald gave me a nice little grin. Thanks, Inigo!

Being such a subjective type of thing, I figured this was going to be a 5 post thread that would die quickly. But Dopers just love to give opinions. What a great board! Keep 'em coming.

And, Trunk, thanks for the link. I didn’t even know that site existed. It’s now bookmarked. :slight_smile:

Damn hamsters, go for try #2

Many names could be mentioned, but I will list but one.
A giant of a man who stood 5’2" tall.

**But in every soldier’s heart in all the Infantry
Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young. **

Confederate Courier Samuel Davis

Admiral Byng who was court-martialed and executed by the British for failing to do his utmost. Granted, it wasn’t a voluntary “taking one for the team”, but it was designed to “encourage the others”.

Nathan Hale took one for the team a couple hundred years ago.

The Four Chaplains

Bobby Sands

He was god and his father was god. I think everything else goes out the window when you consider that.

Hey, similar for my mother. Three kids, all by C-section (I was in the breach position, the middle brother weighed ten pounds, and the youngest… I think they did that because after two they give you a coupon and an air freshener). I’ll grant that Jesus didn’t have anasthesia, but then, that gets us into the bundle of joy that is the spinal tap.

I don’t want to hijack my own thread to a medical discussion. But here goes. :wink:

They way I understood it was this. My older brother had so many complications the docs just had to get him out. He only lived 2 years. With me, there was a forever unknown deal where I had to be taken out before she died. (I wish I had asked her about this before she died) After that my sisters and brother had to be C-sections so the tissue from the previous 2 didn’t rupture during labor. If Quadop rambles on in here, maybe he could confirm this or straighten me out.