taking Tussin as a drug

What does the drug Dextromethorphan found in some Robitussin and Corcidin physically do to one’s body? Is it dangerous to take large doses of this? I know that large doses of anything isn’t good for you, but I’d like to know specifics about this drug.

Sad to say it was popular for kids at my school to swig whole bottles of tussin for the dex’ in it. From what I heard the effect was to put you in a deep sleep for a day or more.

Dextromethorphan is a “dissociative”. Its effects closely resemble that of PCP or Ketamine.

The most dramatic effect of a dissociative is a feeling of separation from the body. It may distort the senses, but is not highly hallucinogenic. Some would say that it is akin to a near death experience, and if someone takes enough to get a serious out-of-body experience, they may think that they have actually died.

Impariment of mobility is substantial, and physical sensation is reduced. At high doses, it is reported that the taker loses all physical sensation, including the feeling of their own heartbeat, which undoubtedly would fuel the idea the the taker has died.

Yes, I think an overdose is possible on any of those drugs.

I thought they only did this with prescription strength Dex w/ codeine? Thus the whole Drank scene and the likes of the late great DJ Screw.

There are definitely teens who drink over the counter cough syrup for the dextromethorphan. It is kinda suprising that such a power drug is accessible like that.

Of course the majority of the kids who try this either don’t like the experience or don’t think it is worth downing so much cough syrup for.

I hate to admit it, but I used to take back in the day. It was actually really fun. We used to call it “Robo tripping”. It gives you a ton of energy and things look “weird” it is really hard to explain. I think I had some hallucination type things once where it seemed like my body was really small and my arms were really long. Apparently it raises your blood pressure to dangerously high levels though…I found that out after my mom caught my brother and I on it and she called the poison control center. :rolleyes:

Just stay away from ol’ Dexter Mcthorphan! Even erowid, the site that advocates responsible drug use, now feels there’s enough evidence about DXM causing permanent neurological damage to make them recommend staying away from it. The stuff only activates opiate receptors very, very weakly, but does activate the PCP receptors in such a way to make you think your spinal cord is force-f***king your hindbrain.

QtM, MD

Dextromethorphan is the dextrorotary variant of levorphanol, a powerful Schedule II narcotic. It is alleged to have no analgesic or addictive properties, but this, I believe, is incorrect.

Besides binding to opiate receptors, it binds to NMDA receptors (a class of “excitotoxic” neural receptors). PCP also binds to these.

It suppresses cough, just like many other opiods. Because of its effects on excitotoxic receptors, it has theoretical potential to cause neurological damage, especially if abused. BTW, why is it classified as “non-addictive” when it clearly is and has been abused by so many?

Why would you require a correlation between “abused by many” and addictive?

If a million people did something bad once, would that make it addictive?

I’m certainly not trying to support the use of this drug. I’m not even trying to say that it is not addictive. I just don’t really get what you said there.

If it is addictive, I would say that it is mild, since most who mess with this sorta thing don’t continue it for very long. I’ve heard some say that after playing around with it for awhile, the taste got so much worse that it was unbearable to do it anymore.

“Non-addictive” probably refers to the lack of a bodily reaction to physically require the drug, as in opiates. Psychologically addictive sure, but so is huffing gasoline. Lots of abused substances don’t make themselves physiologically necessary.