Tales of procrastination...

Don’t you hate it when you’re putting off doing something that you really need to do, by reading a book, surfing the web, watching TV, or whatever, and to motivate yourself, you say: “Okay, I’ll start it real soon, at 6:00 PM.”

And then you look at the clock, and it’s already 6:02 PM.

Oh, I have lots of tales of procrastination… I´ll tell you later.

And then you think, “Since I already missed that deadline I guess I will start at 6:15” and then the next time you look up at the clock it is 6:22.

Yeah, I am the same way.

I’m guilty of doing this. Then I say, “Okay, at 6:30 I’ll start what I’m supposed to do”.

Then, I look at the clock and it’s 8:30. :rolleyes:

Mine always seems to work a bit different. Right now, for example, I’m finishing a paper that is due at 2. I have spent the last 20 minutes reading the SDMB, and keep thinking “At 12:45, I’ll work on my paper again.” It’s 12:39. I have only been through MPSIMS, so I have to start on IMHO. I don’t forsee this paper getting done.

Brendon Small

Guilty.

And the SDMB is one of the things I use to avoid stuff.

Clean the apartment? later, right now I want a stimulating conversation.

Exercise? Sure, let’s start with exercising the mind,…and some ice cream.

I was gonna post to this thread earlier, but I spaced it…

I reccomend you let something bad happen to you.

That way you’ll do stuff just to keep your mind off the bad thing.

I really blame college for this. I mean, they would always give you like 2-3 weeks notice of having a paper due, when really, how long does it take to write a 5 page paper? Two hours? So of course I’m going to put it off until about three hours before the thing is due, because I can get away with it. Do that enough semesters and that there is a skill you can count on for life.

Its funny that the OP’s procrastination seems to be a matter of minutes–I am reminded yet again just how easy I have it in highschool that I can lose track of day and night without too many consequences.

Yesterday I returned a book called ‘Overcoming Procrastination’ to my local library. I never did read it, and I had to pay £5.38 in overdue fines. All this is actually true. :frowning: