Talking about coach Belichick...

… why is he called “belicheat”? - Is he known to have been cheating as a coach, and if so, in what way may a coach, as Belichick, cheat?

Basically, he was caught videotaping opponents’ coaches’ signals, which is against the rules for some reason.

Aha, many thanks!

It’s basically a technicality. You’re allowed to steal signals; you’re just not allowed to use recording equipment when you do it.

But he (and his team) were such total dicks about it that it’s a well deserved moniker.

Not entirely true. You’re allowed to use recording equipment so long as the video shooting location is enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead. You’re not supposed to do it from an on-field location, which is why Belichick and the team were penalized.

However, the real answer is that Bill Belichick has been the most successful coach in franchise history, winning three Superbowls and nearly winning the fourth following an undefeated regular season.

It’s sour grapes, plain and simple.

Note that the original prohibition had a caveat that simply prohibited using electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game. Belichick stated repeatedly that any video footage collected was never used during a game.

While a memo was sent out from the NFL in 2006 clarifying the rule, former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson said, “Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it,” he said. “But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don’t know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That’s why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn’t make him [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this.”

(From here.)

I’ve honestly never understood this. I’ve always thought that Belichick is a real class act. He’s neither a whiner nor a screamer, just a quiet, understated guy. Nor does he put up with the typical crap from his players so prevalent in much of the rest of the league.

Class act? You are blind.

I wouldn’t go that far. A friend of mine used to work for the Patriots (and has a Super Bowl ring to prove it), and says behind closed doors Belichick can turn up the heat.

Quiet, understated–yep, those are good words to describe the coach, so my friend says. But the word he most often uses to describe Belichick is “private.” He’ll usually walk through the Pats HQ with his head down, not wanting to talk to anybody. When Belichick does talk, he’s an amiable guy, even funny. But outside of the locker room, he doesn’t say much.

The guy’s best buddy is Jon Bon Jovi. Says something, not sure what.

This is from ESPN.com’s columnist Gregg Easterbrook in 2007 re Belichick’s cheating: link

He may not be a whiner or a screamer, but he’s certainly not a “class act”. Have you never seen or heard of him refusing to shake hands with opposing coaches?

He’s a great coach, but he’s also a cranky little bitch when he loses games.

Why do NFL coaches dress like slobs nowadays (OK, not all look like “slobs”, they usually wear some variant of a team polo or something, but Belicheat looks like a slob in his hoodie)? What happened to the Landry-esque days of wearing a suit?

College basketball coaches still do it. Why did that change? I miss the fedoras, the ties, etc.

There sure are a lot examples of suppositions, caveats, “perhaps” this or that, and other weasel words in that opinion piece.

Examples:

And there has never been a blanket prohibition against videotaping, just from where you are allowed to do it. (Which I admit was violated by the Patriots.) I just think that it was a technicality that has been blown all out of proportion to the offense. Nevertheless, they definitely should have stopped this practice when the memo was issued in 2006.

Can’t slap a Reebok logo on a suit then sell replicas.

I think that far too much is made of this. I don’t think that he has ever intentionally meant to snub anybody.

He’s just not the type to hang around and pose for the cameras immediately after a game.

He certainly doesn’t like to lose. Neither does Brady.

I love the word, simply for the warning it gives off.

“Belicheat” is on the short list (1: “Belicheat”, 2: “Obamacare”) of words that if you use it in a non-ironic fashion, I instantly know to disregard anything you might have to say. You simply cannot expect to be taken seriously if you’re going to have such idiocy come out of your mouth.

You can just get Reebok to make a suit, though. The answer used to be that you couldn’t wear suits because Reebok didn’t make them; now the answer is that Reebok does make suits, but Mike Nolan got fired and Jack Del Rio eventually realized that it’s really, really hot in Florida.

Del Rio still wears them during the latter portion of the season, I think.

Yeah, I’ve never seen Belichick refuse to shake an opposing coach’s hand. He doesn’t stick around for a confab and hug fest like some other coaches do. I have seen him knock a cameraman who was in his way to the ground so he could get to the other coach though. Buddy Ryan of the Eagles was notorious for always heading right to the locker room instead of meeting the other coach.

He walked off the field before the end of the Pats-Giants Super Bowl (as did Brady) which would have made it difficult to shake Tom Coughlin’s hand. He refused to shake Eric Mangini’s hand twice.

Didn’t know about the Super Bowl. And the Belichick/Mangini history doesn’t make that terribly surprising - to quote Mark Twain: “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”

I forgot about Mangidiot. In that case, I agree that he may have intentionally meant to snub him. But given their history (as pointed out by muldoonthief), ignoring him was probably preferable to walking over to him after the game and punching him in the nose. :wink: