Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"

I’m looking forward to Quentin Tarantino’s next offering, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which hits movie theaters this summer. Set in California in the late Sixties, and with a story that incorporates the Manson Family murders, the movie features an all-star ensemble cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, Damian Lewis, Dakota Fanning, Luke Perry, Lena Dunham, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Kurt Russell and others.

There are a few photos from the production on IMDB, revealing some of the costume and set design. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt look great as the movie’s protagonists, a fading actor and his stuntman friend - a bit like a modern-day Robert Redford and Paul Newman from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Being set in Hollywood, there will be some celebrities from the time featuring in the story. One will be actor Steve McQueen, who turned down an invitation to the party at Sharon Tate’s home on the night of the murders that occurred there, and who will be played by Damian Lewis - I remember being struck by Lewis’ resemblance to McQueen when I first saw him, many years ago. Bruce Lee, who was teaching kung fu to celebrities in Hollywood at the time, will also appear. Lee was a friend of Jay Sebring, a celebrity hair stylist who helped launch Lee’s career, and who was murdered along with Tate. Other famous people of the time in the movie include Sharon Tate, Wayne Maunder, Sam Wanamaker, Roman Polanski, Joanna Pettet and Connie Stevens. The full cast/character list has not yet been revealed. I wonder if Dennis Wilson from The Beach Boys will appear? He became acquainted with Charles Manson, bought a song off of him and released it on a Beach Boys album with himself credited as songwriter.

The role of Charles Manson must surely not have been an easy cast. Manson will be played by actor Damon Herriman, pictured here with a beard from another acting role. Here’s a clip of him playing some felon-type character. I think he could be a good fit for the role. He’s actually set to appear in another unrelated TV series, playing a later-life imprisoned Charles Manson, and was apparently cast in that role before the Tarantino movie.

The set design photos also look great, and the set designers must have had fun creating an authentic look. Here’s Taco Bell in the '60s, and in the movie. Here’s a Pussycat adult theater (actually a photo from the '80s) and in the movie. I’m also looking forward to seeing DiCaprio’s character on the set of real life '60s TV variety show Hullabaloo.

On a more serious note, Tarantino is known for the violence that features in his movies, and he has received criticism for it by some, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the horrific murders perpetrated by the Manson family. His other movies have used fictional characters and events - essentially fantasy - but this time the people and events are real.

In any case, I think this has the potential to be one of Tarantino’s most important movies, so I will wait in anticipation.

Yep, this is one I’ll “see in the theater”. The last time I saw a movie in a theater was Gravity back in 2013.

If Tarantino ever has a shot at best picture or director Oscar this will be it. Because you just know the academy loves, loves, loves movies about themselves.

Can’t wait. Really was not the biggest fan of H8, hope for a rebound here.

Tarantino’s movies usually feature cartoonish violence, which might not fit when making a movie about real people and real violence. I’m definitely interested though, say what you want about Tarantino, he doesn’t make the same old crap that’s being churned out by other directors.

I understand Clu Gulager will be in it. I appreciate QTs eye for old, great Hollywood talent and appreciate him casting Clu.

Those IMDB photos are interesting, thanks for the link.

I wonder if Brad Pitt’s right elbow is really that messed up or if it’s makeup for his character?

Tarantino’s movies are for the most part simply an excuse for “gratuitous violence.”

But I will never forget the twisting contest scene won by John travolta & Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction (1994).

So awesome!

They didn’t win, they stole the trophy.

My husband and I might drag ourselves out for this one too! I think the last movie he saw in the theater was over ten years ago.

Yep, that was the only disappointing film he’s done in my book. I hope that was a blip rather than the start of a downward trajectory.

There are (supposedly) three films in production regarding Sharon Tate and all that. (50th anniversary.) They are (actress: title):

Margot Robbie: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Kate Bosworth: Tate

Hilary Duff: The Haunting of Sharon Tate

Two have respectable people and such involved. The last one appears to be a generic horror/slasher type film.

The Tate film I have questions about whether it’s going to really make it to theaters. Her husband is directing it. It does seem to be the one with the most support from the Tate family.

Having multiple versions come out at the same time tends to hurt films all sorts of ways, including with awards.

I’m still waiting for the definitive version with Jessica Paré.:wink:

Interesting coincidence (to me). Tarantino’s movie Jackie Brown (based on the Elmore Leonard novel Rum Punch) has a character named Ordell Robbie.

Well I made them winners.

I noticed the creases and saw it as a sign that even Brad Pitt gets old, but there’s a curious mark around the elbow, so it could perhaps have been added in make-up to embellish his character’s role as a stuntman. Or maybe it’s just a temporary imprint caused by Brad resting his arm on something for a period of time - he does look pretty chilled in the production set photos for this movie.

That’s interesting. I didn’t know about the other two movies.

Yeah, it doesn’t look like there’s much happening with the Tate movie, judging by its IMDB page.

I just watched the trailer for The Haunting of Sharon Tate. It seemed to be a rather low-grade mash-up of archive footage of Manson family, a recording of Manson singing one of his songs, generic slasher horror, and supernatural elements. I can see why someone might find it a bit sensationalist, vulgar or insensitive.

It doesn’t look like we need fear the same with Tarantino’s treatment, though. Debra Tate, Sharon Tate’s surviving sister, has reportedly approved the Tarantino movie, saying:

Maybe it will be again alternate history and Tate and the other guests fight their attackers, overcome them and go on a revenge hunt for Manson. You never know with Tarantino.

ETA: including a foot fetish scene, of course…

So have I, for many years. Did not know this-

After the movie’s iconic dance scene, you see Vincent Vega and Mia Wallace walk into her house holding a trophy. The audience assumes they won the contest, but later in the film, a barely audible advert states the trophy had been stolen - meaning Vince and Mia lost the competition then stole the trophy.

No link, it’s a click bait site

I certainly hope not. I hope it is a more crime movie like Pulp (first date with my wife) or Jackie Brown. I have not loved one of his movies since the latter. I’ve enjoyed a few, and promptly forgotten them.

I will see this one in a theatre.

First official poster was released.

I’m wondering if there will be any backlash due to his previous films being attached to Weinstein…and this movie might show a pregnant woman getting killed? Yikes on the timing…